Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

missannik wrote: »
    Awww... he is too cute! I love tuxedo cats. :)

Tuxedo would have been a good name for him.! He's still a bit nervy (he came from the SPCA) so he's alternates between coming to us for a cuddle and running around like a mad thing. Any strange noises cause him to jump.

He slept in our bed between us last night anyway so he seems happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i'd recommend not letting the last bit become habit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

i love how job and visa stuff seems to happen simultaneously with us on this board :P congrats hussey!

speaking of... im still intending on getting round to sending my residency application out... >_>

Very weird-I got made permanent in my work after reading that a few days ago.... :) This thread must be good luck.

Congrats on the kitten Watna, I love cats but we've been holding off getting one here cos dont know how long we're gonna stay in NZ. Probably will be a few years but what would we do with a cat once we moved on? It is tempting though cos they're good fun when theyre kittens.

i'd recommend not letting the last bit become habit ;)

I know. OH wasn't too impressed. The cat was like a barrier between us. I'm all for him sleeping in the bed but not between us!
    pclancy wrote: »
    Very weird-I got made permanent in my work after reading that a few days ago.... :) This thread must be good luck.

Congrats on the kitten Watna, I love cats but we've been holding off getting one here cos dont know how long we're gonna stay in NZ. Probably will be a few years but what would we do with a cat once we moved on? It is tempting though cos they're good fun when theyre kittens.

We decided to stay on for another few years so thought it was a good time to get a cat. I've wanted one for ages. I'm hoping to bring him back to Ireland with us but if not we checked with a few friends before we got him if they'd be godparents - just in case we feel it is better to leave him here.

watna wrote: »
    I know. OH wasn't too impressed. The cat was like a barrier between us. I'm all for him sleeping in the bed but not between us!

yep, that's waht i was talking about. from what i can make out from other couples, the cat NEVER decides to sleep either side of the two of ye. it's bang in the middle, or nothing.

though im just jealous cos im not even allowed take my mousey into the bedroom, let alone to bed.
    We decided to stay on for another few years so thought it was a good time to get a cat. I've wanted one for ages. I'm hoping to bring him back to Ireland with us but if not we checked with a few friends before we got him if they'd be godparents - just in case we feel it is better to leave him here.

good to hear you've put the thought into it. :) ha, i kinda just went to work one day, and came home with a mouse, cage and food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Hah, too funny with the cat coincidences - after 3 weeks of persuasion I eventually wore down the manager at my backpackers to get a cat and I get to name it! Awesome!

And congrats to everyone, visas and jobs are flying out of yere arses it seems, it's a great feeling when things finally sort themselves out, delighted for ye! - send a little good luck my way please. This minimum wage, casual labour work is tiresome. I'm covered in cuts and bruises after spending 4 weeks doing a combination of grape harvesting, hostel cleaning, washing bottles at a wine bottling factory and ironing duvets. I never know which employer will want me until I get a phonecall the evening before, which means every week I have a few days of thumb twiddling waiting for the phone to ring. And all i have to show for it is a lousy $700 in my bank account. :( I think I'll stick it out for another month (cos secretly I like it here in Blenheim.....shush....)and then head to Christchurch to seek more sensible employment. Sorry to pull out the most commonly asked question on this forum, but does anybody know if jobs are handy enough to come by there? I'm sure something will pop up but I just can't afford to be unemployed for very long at all.

But I can't complain really. The sun is shining and I'm working at the Blenheim airshow tomorrow selling toy aeroplanes - how cool is that! And some hot Argentinian guys just checked in, so as I sit at my computer in reception I can look out at them playing ping pong and perv and cos I'm a girl it's totally acceptable! Mwuahahaha.....

yep, there's still jobs around chch. just in the 5min walk between my work and the bus exchange, there's plenty of posters around for bar staff, waiting staff, chefs, shop assistants.

childcare peeps i work with are usually looking for peeps as well... though they've been a little slow on work for me lately, but i did get 7.5hrs on thursday, which i was pretty stoked about (until i realised that im gonna be put on some other tax thing cos im earning from two different employers, not sure how that's gonna work).

but yep, defo money to be made here, just not quite as easy as it woulda been a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what's the plans for the weekend folks?
    any thing major??

I'm in work tomorrow so am missing on the last of teh sydney sun!

Just had a big work lunch to thank us for our fantastic work in moving all the IT into the new hospital and now im drinking beer at my desk to celebrate someones leaving day. I love my job :)

meh. im still injured and not allowed surf and don't know what to do with myself outside of reading and playing with my mouse. (and ****ign around online, but that's a given). was completely lost last weekend, it being a long one and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Well having no work does have it's advantages. The last few days have been a turmoil of playing in the park, doing a walk on the queen charlotte drive, ping pong tournaments and cosying up by the fire watching movies. This weekend sees a load of my mates moving south so there'll be a big goodbye barbeque. And then back to the job hunt..... Le sigh....

Ah mate i fecking love the queen charlotte drive :) Dying to go back down to the sounds and rent a bach and do some kayaking for a week. Gorgeous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Got a job! \o/

Starting with Bank West in two weeks. But, and there's always a but, I've also been called for an interview with Main Roads WA to be their media officer. Interview's not til just before I start the other job and it pays significantly higher.

Could be forced to make a tough decision!

I take it you'll be having a cigar and a snifter of brandy so tonight?

Congrats dude! Media officer all the way though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not sure about the brandy but the burbon will be making an appearance!

wow, congrats dude! best of luck with the future interview and potential future decision making.

I was supposed to drive up to Otaki tomorrow and go chilli picking to stock up for the winter but I've got a really bad cold and spnt the day asleep in bed. I have a feeling I'll be doing the same tomorrow :(

Congrats Xavi!

Right, **** this cold. I'm going to pick chillis anyway and bring back buckets of the stuff (must make room in the freezer actually) I can make something really spicy for dinner and it'll clear that cold right up. I'm thinking I'll have to make some kind of chilli pickle too.

It's this kind of thing that make me love living in NZ. When could you go to a farm in Ireland and pick loads of different varieties of chillis?

you sound like me the day i discovered we had grapes growing in the back garden :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

hussey wrote: »

Bourbon aint beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

¿punoɹ ʎɐʍ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɥʇ ʇsod sıɥʇ ǝǝs sʎnƃ noʎ uɐɔ

Lol. Yes. Have to be carefull and only type with one hand though, otherwise we might fall off the planet.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Doing a nevis bungy jump tomorrow at 3pm in Queenstown. totally bricking myself! :eek::eek::eek:

when the dude says "Just don't look down"

DO NOT LOOK DOWN

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes but we cant read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

ChewChew wrote: »
    Doing a nevis bungy jump tomorrow at 3pm in Queenstown. totally bricking myself! :eek::eek::eek:

I would recommend not bringing bricks...

hehe, it'll be sweet as. i did mine about a month ago, loved it.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

hussey wrote: »
    when the dude says "Just don't look down"

DO NOT LOOK DOWN

;)
    passive wrote: »
    I would recommend not bringing bricks...
    hehe, it'll be sweet as. i did mine about a month ago, loved it.

Well i've just skulled a few beers and hoping the hangover will make it all easier! :o

• Advertisement

Landlord installed a heat pump in the flat. I am sitting here drinking wine all toasty warm.

This winter is going to be so much better than the last one. No 3 months of moaning about the lack of central heating for me this year!

Advertisement