Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i was being serious!

but looks nice, quite similar to one of the ones i work with (though that's green and purple), ill find out on thursday if i dont end up getting work from my second job. (housecleaning is the third one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So, who is dying in bed with the Swine Flu?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I wish I was, I went to Des Bishop last night in Sydney, was a good laugh and had a few jars after and before, wish I was asleep now though

It was very funny, he has a great insight into the minds of Irish people

Talking about Irish here, things like

"I'm never going back, the country's fooked, like, full of immigrants"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

"I'm never going back, the country's fooked, like, full of immigrants"

Ha - I thought he might have picked that from the times article about the English people in the South of Spain...setting up their own towns, not integrating and never going back to England because its overrun with dem immigrants - Irony is definitely lost on some people (definitely lots of Irish - infact British and Irish are almost identical in this regards :))

Funny how the Irish like to Emmigrate but still wouldnt class themselves as immigrants...the impossibility of this one always bothered me...

jank wrote: »
    So, who is dying in bed with the Swine Flu?:pac:

my fella's come down with a pretty bad flu-y dose. had both of us awake all night with his coughing till he decided to get up at 4am and go back to bed when i went to work. still in bed now :/ depending on his mood, he's decided it's 'the AIDS' (from running joke of him and mate being gay together', to it being swineflu, to it being hep c that he's caught from me (i work in a hep c specific clinic). im just pissed that i woke up this morning with a sore throat, runny nose and keep getting random head and earaches today.

• Advertisement

Oh thats the start of it! My flat is almost flu free and I have managed to stay clear of being sick...

**note to self - Avoid Crumble Foo until she displays no flu symptoms!!*:pac:

Work gave us a flu vaccine for free there a few weeks ago. I have no idea if this will keep me safe. So far, so good! The girlfriend has seen some people with face masks in town though. A bit OTT if you ask me.

people've been wearing masks in town for as long as ive been here. remember thinking twas quite odd when i first saw it in march 2007. used to it now, but i can imagine an upsurge in it.

it's really not gonna be that big a deal here, i dont think, just seems like a mild flu dose that'll take you out for 4 days, and then grand.

been meaning to text you actually, ive taken to skating down your street to get to work, ill have to drop that cd into you on the way in on monday.

Yea, do!

So you remember the place? Think I was sleepwalking into my gaff that night so my memory is a bit hazy.

nah, i missed the number of it... PM it to me and ill drop it in on the way to/from work one of the days. was listening to them again todya, and yep, that album still gives me goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

[arse waggly dance]

GOT ME MY RESIDENCY BABY!! OH YEAH!!!

[/arse waggly dance]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sweet as!!

Is residency = skilled migrant visa? or ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

[arse waggly dance]

GOT ME MY RESIDENCY BABY!! OH YEAH!!!

[/arse waggly dance]

I remember that day. I couldn't give the smile off my face and old everyone we met that day. Congratulations! It's only since my residency came through that I feel properly settled here. It's a great feeling - enjoy it!

It's funny - a few more Irish people have joined work. They all ask me how long I've been here and I tell them a year. Then they ask how I managed to stay on that long and I tell them I have residency. The look of jealously is priceless!

you're such a bitch! :P

congrats MAJD! that's quite awesome.

i, meanwhile have managed to swing getting my medical done for FREE for my residency. found out last week i had to get a new one done, cos has to be done within 6months of applying for the residency, so pretty stoked about all this. yay! yay everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Congrats MJD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Hey, I am thinking of going to NZ for a year. Can anybody tell me what the job scene is like at the mo? I am willing to do most jobs and not overly picky. Has anybody got any advice or recommendations.
    Much appreciated,
    ty

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh god guys I'm home. A week I've been back in Ireland and I'm not happy. :( Can anyone tell me where in this dull, wet country I can get L&P's? I miss it sssooooo much! :(

hahahaahha, most peeps in this forum are more concerned about getting their taytos and teabags over here :pac:

enjoy your trip?

ChewChew wrote: »
    Oh god guys I'm home. A week I've been back in Ireland and I'm not happy. :( Can anyone tell me where in this dull, wet country I can get L&P's? I miss it sssooooo much! :(

I love L&P too. I'll bring you back some when I go home for a visit in February! :D

We never found a kiwi shop in Dublin so not sure where you can get it. I'd say it'd be popular though.

you're going home in february?!

awesome, awesome awesome news, lady. stoked for ya!

you're going home in february?!

awesome, awesome awesome news, lady. stoked for ya!

Yeah, decided it was necessary. Just for a visit though. Oh's Phd is going to be at least another two years so we'll be here until at least the end of 2011.

By next Feb I'll have been away for almost 2 years. I've provisionally booked three weeks off work and the IRD owe me quite a lot of money so that'll be half my ticket. Just got to save hard so I can actually afford to do things when I'm back home!

• Advertisement

yeah, that's what got me when i went back home, though my trip was on such short notice that i only had enough time to save up to cover rent and bills while i was gone and had to borrow money while i was there... it is NOT fun paying back euros when you're earning dollars :(

yeah, that's what got me when i went back home, though my trip was on such short notice that i only had enough time to save up to cover rent and bills while i was gone and had to borrow money while i was there... it is NOT fun paying back euros when you're earning dollars :(

Tell me about it. I had a little bit left on a personal loan when I left Dublin. I was paying it back every month but the euro/dollar exchange rate was killing me. My Dad paid off the last bit for me and I'm going to send him the money when the rate is better. It will get better, right?

Hopefully I'll be mostly hanging out with people so won't have to spend too much.

yeah, should work out, but hell, it's home!

i remember going to my first noct beers, and intending to not drink and leave about 11ish, cos i had less than €4 on me... and somehow ended up getting spectacularly pissed, with, i think 3 drinks left sitting in front of me when the place closed, certain boardsies kept just buying me drinks everytime each of them bought themselves a drink, heading into fibbers and getting a taxi home at the end of the night...

and i still had my €4 or whatever it was the next morning. and a boardsie on my bedroom floor. :pac:

meanwhile, im trying to make up another leaflet thing for work, and while looking up pictures in google images, i keep coming across one of an injection in the eye. man, that **** is GROSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

watna wrote: »
    My Dad paid off the last bit for me and I'm going to send him the money when the rate is better. It will get better, right?

I'm confused... isn't the rate better for that direction now than it usually is/has been for ages? like... 1.7 $ = a euro, instead of 2+ dollars = a euro? Or am I reading this completely arseways?

I'm hoping for a sudden, short lived turnaround so I can turn my lump sum savings into dollars at 2:1, then a return to strong dollar as an indicator of good australian economy... *doesn't hold his breath*

(edit: oh...just looked at 2006-2008... so it's traditionally 1.6ish? well now I know...)

i, meanwhile have managed to swing getting my medical done for FREE for my residency. found out last week i had to get a new one done, cos has to be done within 6months of applying for the residency, so pretty stoked about all this. yay! yay everyone!

How did ya manage that? Was it connected with work?

Submitted my EOI there this morning. I still dont know what I am after getting myself into. Hopefully ill have my PR in a few months.....or not!:pac:

jank wrote: »
    How did ya manage that? Was it connected with work?

Submitted my EOI there this morning. I still dont know what I am after getting myself into. Hopefully ill have my PR in a few months.....or not!:pac:

best of luck dude! and yep, i got help through work :D

*stomps into thread*

WHY ON EARTH DO THEY NEED MY ****ING BIRTH CERTIFICATE?! FOR ****'S SAKE, YOU HAVE MY PASSPORT, MY BANK STATEMENTS, MY LETTERS, CARDS, PHOTOGRAPHS AND MY ENTIRE ****ING MEDICAL HISTORY! WHY THE **** DO YOU NEED MY ****ING BIRTH CERT AS WELL???!!!

ARRRRRGH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

*stomps into thread*

WHY ON EARTH DO THEY NEED MY ****ING BIRTH CERTIFICATE?! FOR ****'S SAKE, YOU HAVE MY PASSPORT, MY BANK STATEMENTS, MY LETTERS, CARDS, PHOTOGRAPHS AND MY ENTIRE ****ING MEDICAL HISTORY! WHY THE **** DO YOU NEED MY ****ING BIRTH CERT AS WELL???!!!

ARRRRRGH!!!

Who are they? Immigration? Employers?

Surely to god the passport should be enough of a proof. These people have no cop on. How do you get a passport well you need your birth cert!! It's a mockery!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

passive wrote: »
    I'm confused... isn't the rate better for that direction now than it usually is/has been for ages? like... 1.7 $ = a euro, instead of 2+ dollars = a euro? Or am I reading this completely arseways?

I'm hoping for a sudden, short lived turnaround so I can turn my lump sum savings into dollars at 2:1, then a return to strong dollar as an indicator of good australian economy... *doesn't hold his breath*

(edit: oh...just looked at 2006-2008... so it's traditionally 1.6ish? well now I know...)
    I sent NZ$1k home a couple of weeks ago. Including bank charges on both ends, I got E406 :(

Not fun paying off a credit card.

• Advertisement

Who are they? Immigration? Employers?

Surely to god the passport should be enough of a proof. These people have no cop on. How do you get a passport well you need your birth cert!! It's a mockery!

immigration. :rolleyes:

Advertisement