Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You should have changed it to something cool like optimus prime. You let yourself down there.

That's just a one way ticket to Beauty & the Geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lol officially got my name changed in work today from Eoin to Owen coz nobody could pronounce me name! Kept gettin called Ian and ee-on. ah well, least we got free donuts!! :p

You're joking! You weak ba****d ya!:)

People can't pronounce my name either but I'm not going to change it for the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well i've been in oz 14 months and only twice ever has anyone gotten my name right. its a pain in the arse on a daily basis. just easier this way. at least it gets pronounced right.

suppose its similar to the chinese in ireland changing their names to Jim and dave etc. but coz theres a spelling that they're all more comfortable with, its handier to let them change it in the staff phonebook.

but yeah, i shoulda changed it to Max Power or James Bond or something like that. :(

(incidentally, a recruitment agency person i dealt with was max power...tho it was a girl!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah Australia... land of the very warm and big thunderstorms. Unfortunately I'm virtually out of money ($200 for 4 weeks) and haven't been able to get a single employer interview so far.

Any ideas? Going out on the streets is an option, although I'm male.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Hey Confab, what line of work are you looking for?

• Advertisement

Traq wrote: »
    Hey Confab, what line of work are you looking for?

Generally mainly office work, call center or customer service positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The_B_Man wrote: »
    well i've been in oz 14 months and only twice ever has anyone gotten my name right. its a pain in the arse on a daily basis. just easier this way. at least it gets pronounced right.

suppose its similar to the chinese in ireland changing their names to Jim and dave etc. but coz theres a spelling that they're all more comfortable with, its handier to let them change it in the staff phonebook.

but yeah, i shoulda changed it to Max Power or James Bond or something like that. :(

(incidentally, a recruitment agency person i dealt with was max power...tho it was a girl!)

My first name is Niamh. Can you imgine the trouble people have with that? I think nymph was the worst one. I understand why they can't pronounce it but it gets old so quickly. Even worse is when you're really busy or in bad form and they want to chat about how beautiful your name is and what it means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

my name is Padraig ( I dont know how to do fadas) I have worked for the same guy for five years, he has never once pronounced it right, annoys the sh1te out of me, so everyone calls me Podge, make life easier, still tho when you tell an Ausie over the phone that your name is Podge they expect some huge 18stone lardass, which I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im a niamh as well, **** it gets old fast. what amazes me more is when they get that the 'mh' makes a vaguely 'v/f' sound, but still get it ridiculously wrong.

since i was about 15/16, i'd intended changing my name to the irish surname too, and am still humming and hawing about doing it... i mean, it's not like they can figure it out first time. and the kiwi accent seems incapable of pronouncing it anyway. have till 2013 to figure it out.

They can't say Niall either, so I don't bother correcting them any more. I'm now Neil :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

have considered doin the Surname aswell, but my inability to type fadas holds me back :D:D

I have the whole shebang as Gaeilge, you should see the way Foxtel interpreted my name (even though I spent 5 minutes spelling it out to them over the phone!).

The only people who seem to get my name right are the Indian people I work with. I go out of my way to pronounce people's names correctly, ignorance is bliss etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Confab wrote: »
    Generally mainly office work, call center or customer service positions.
    should come across something soon with the christmas casual stuff coming up...

and for the name thing, my name is louise, and for some reason a bunch of aussies seem to think im saying "marie"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Confab wrote: »
    Ah Australia... land of the very warm and big thunderstorms. Unfortunately I'm virtually out of money ($200 for 4 weeks) and haven't been able to get a single employer interview so far.

Any ideas? Going out on the streets is an option, although I'm male.

Ask Aicquest he says there are loads of jobs...

If you where Permanent I could piont you in the right direction for something, the wifes place is crying out for staff.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Ask Aicquest he says there are loads of jobs...

If you where Permanent I could piont you in the right direction for something, the wifes place is crying out for staff.

And therein lies the problem. Curse the WHV!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Residency papers submitted, now for the long wait!.....

ooh! exciting! what are you applying under?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hes applyin under the 435 - Tuk urr jawwwwbs visa! :p

Applying under the Skilled Migrant Category...
    Love if it only took a few months but will more than likely take 6 months or so.
    Might get work to write a letter to try "fast track" it.

My WHV runs out in 2 months so ill have to sort something out there!

whoa! left it a bit late, surely?!

i know i was told to expect mine to take about a year! maybe it's different for partnership ones, but wow! 2months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jank wrote: »

My WHV runs out in 2 months so ill have to sort something out there!

Bridging Visa usually

not in nz.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Apply for a general work permit until it gets approved.

Rabies wrote: »
    Apply for a general work permit until it gets approved.

Yea thats the plan, I am going to get work to help me out there but of course there is always my GF I have to worry about, that is going to be more tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Personal favourites and even made friends with the bar staff as I was never out of the places!!

Tui Bar- Rangiora (ya can get a bus from Christchurch to it) Funky wee town at the weekends(and even during the week) you will notice most males have dreadlocks!! That includes kids as young a 6 and dudes as old as a random ld stoner I met...think he was 60something!:D

Mickey Finns in Christchurch. Irish rock bar upstairs excellent bands on a saturday night esp....Crank (ye will notice the chick with the dreadlocks singing and the dude with horn-implants up the front rocking out...yes I did say horn-implants and I have photos to prove it ha!) Downstairs in Mickey's they have a...kinda.. RnB....funky stuff going on. It's a rare mixture to have in one place. Especially the holy photos upstairs!

The Fiddler-Auckland. It doesn't even need any pumping up just go there!
    Thirsty Dog on K-Road, Auckland = I worked there!!! Best pub I could ever have got work in. Irish bar but with an unusual twist. The boss loves nearly all types of music(apart from chart dancey pop stuff).
    So you will get nights/days of jazz,blues,rock,death metal,electronic oddness,poetry nights,anything! If you have a band go and check it out esp Sat ;)

Danny Doolans-down by the docks, Auckland. If yer in high heels watch out for the uneven tiles! mighty mighty pub.....yes I know the Auckland ones are all Irish but hey...I was missing home!!

Deschlar.....up round the corner from O'Carrolls pub. It's an interesting one. Kinda like a flashback to when you were going out at 16 / 17!

If you want a few funky bars with funky twists check out Jervois Road in Herne Bay and Ponsonby Road.

There was loads I never got to do but I'll get back there at some stage.:D
    Enjoy yourselves and really make the most of it. Try and say yes to most things!!(within reason ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Fiddlers is a **** hole... ugh
    Danny's is crowed and under staffed. If you don't mind waiting 20min for a pint on a busy night, then its ok, Music is generally very good though
    Deschlars just got a new mural painted on the wall. Nice bar.

Loads of bars in AUX to cater for different needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Life is good in Oz...

Life is good in Oz...

Shushhhhh. Keep it quiet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Ahhh now! The Fiddler has kept me sane while waiting for the Link bus to arrive!

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Yea thats the plan, I am going to get work to help me out there but of course there is always my GF I have to worry about, that is going to be more tricky!

OK I think my GF is officaly fcuked as I can only get a work permit for 3 months and a defacto visa cannot be issued for a work permit under 6 months so ...... holiday in OZ and back to NZ on a tourist visa?

Advertisement