Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobby09

silverski wrote: »
    I will be looking for staff with a horticultural background.

Regards
    Silverski
    Hi I dont wanna be too nosy- me and my boyf are just starting the process of applying for a skilled Mig visa. (Just waiting for my skills assessment to come back). I'm a primary school teacher and he's a landscaper. He has his own company in Sth Dublin but things have gone quiet. Any idea from your experience, how long we may be waiting? And is there still much work over there? Should we try get a contact for sponsership?.....please tell me its gonna be worth it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Heu guys.Im back for more info.God Bless this thread.:p

I was wondering is there many courses(White card,tickets for dumpers) I can do online before I go?

I'm heading to Perth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ddgadgets

hey, newbie here,just in the process of planning a 12 month work trip to oz, just hoping you could share some advice on the best city's to live in in Oz, like the most relaxed and nicest way of life?
    I've been to sydney before but only for a week which was nice but i've heard that possibly melbourne is a a bit better and more relaxed, any advice on where to settle for a year would be great??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Perth is usually considered very laid back (haven't been there yet though)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heu guys.Im back for more info.God Bless this thread.:p

I was wondering is there many courses(White card,tickets for dumpers) I can do online before I go?

I'm heading to Perth.

WA uses the Blue Card and you can do it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Moved to Sydney 4 years ago this very day. Best decsion I ever made!

Will mark this occasion with a few pints on Paddy's day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josiegrosie

Hello

Me and the hubby are considering moving to Oz around May-time. We are both under the ages of 30 so are eligible for a WHV :)

We've decided on Perth as my hubbie is a geologist and there is supposedly a big boom about to happen there...me, I can work anywhere...

Our grand plan is to get PR (based on his skills) with a 176 visa and we've already applied for a skills assessment from Vetasses. I believe the application can take anything from 12months to three years (although a WA representative in London told me they are giving these timelines out pessimistically in order to manage expectations, and really we'd be looking at 12-18 months) so it's a bit of a risk heading over with a couple of backpacks when we might be returning in 12 months.:rolleyes:

Of course there is a chance my hubbie will get a 457 visa while over there (at least that's what we're hoping for...). Put it this way, we're both unemployed since Christmas so we've nothing to lose by going.:(

I guess I don't really have any question other than if anyone reading this thinks this is a reasonable plan - I guess I have reservations about going over, possibly coming back, only to emigrate properly again a few months later! Should we just wait to see if we get PR or go now that we have the chance?

I guess I did have some questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I guess I don't really have any question other than if anyone reading this thinks this is a reasonable plan -
    Seems fine
    I guess I have reservations about going over, possibly coming back, only to emigrate properly again a few months later!
    So would I

Should we just wait to see if we get PR or go now that we have the chance?
    Having PR prior to arrival is always best but if you have no work in Ireland I dont see the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think summer is really over in Wellington. It's miserable today, cold wet and windy and it's started getting dark earlier and earlier.

Boo-urns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

watna wrote: »
    I think summer is really over in Wellington. It's miserable today, cold wet and windy and it's started getting dark earlier and earlier.

Boo-urns!

I hear you - not sure I can last too many of these cold dark wet mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ah no its just for today...back to 20 degrees and sun for tomorrow until Monday. We'll get another month or so of random warm\cold and then the cold will come rolling back for good. Its when it gets dark by 5 that I get depressed...we've still a bit to go yet!

Be thankfull...I'm taking my lady to Brisbane for her 30th, according to the forcast its going to be rain all weekend thanks to that stupid tropical cyclone hovering over the pacific right now. Won't be spending much time at the beach i'd say :(

pclancy wrote: »
    Ah no its just for today...back to 20 degrees and sun for tomorrow until Monday. We'll get another month or so of random warm\cold and then the cold will come rolling back for good. Its when it gets dark by 5 that I get depressed...we've still a bit to go yet!

Be thankfull...I'm taking my lady to Brisbane for her 30th, according to the forcast its going to be rain all weekend thanks to that stupid tropical cyclone hovering over the pacific right now. Won't be spending much time at the beach i'd say :(

True, but I'm going back home for three weeks next week. By the time I get back winter will be fully here!

I forgot how hard it was getting up and dressed in the dark like this morning!

I was drinking in D4 on St Paddy's Day last year and it was really sunny. That's Wellington for you!

p.s. we should have a welly beers soon!

pclancy wrote: »

Man thats unlucky - last Paddys Day in Brisbane was beautiful!

I'd be on for some beers too soon, anything to curb the edge of entering the dark mornings and dark evenings phase - I can hear a beach in Asia calling me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nice day here in Sydney, High of 26 I think. The weather is starting to cool down a bit especially at night. A low of 17 LOL but better than a low of 22 or 23, that is a little bit too mugy for my like.
    Actually perfect weather now. Not too hot but mild evenings

wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home i wanna go home...

:( Really? What's up? Having a homesick day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i was. but have since had couple mates over painting placards for the rally on friday (the 198 youth health centre has quite literally saved all three of our lives over the last couple of years). plus several billy mavericks (no, they're not classy, but htey do the job).

ahhh, i just been diagnosed with bipolar couple weeks ago, and on new meds and not supposed to drink and i had a few last night (and then a few more, then a few more after that, then a joint that just KO'd me)... head's real low most of this arvo, then figured fuck it and got a few drinks in tonight. totally gonna regret that one tomorrow, but ill deal with it then :o

Just a heads up to people that might be interested. All Blacks are playing Ireland in New Plymouth on June 12th. You can get standing tickets for as little as $40. I've just booked mine. It's a random small stadium so should be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Just a heads up to people that might be interested. All Blacks are playing Ireland in New Plymouth on June 12th. You can get standing tickets for as little as $40. I've just booked mine. It's a random small stadium so should be really good.

what website did you get them off watna?
    thanks

Claasman wrote: »
    what website did you get them off watna?
    thanks

Yeah, I should have put that in. They're hard to find. It's from ticketdirect.co.nz - not ticketek or ticketmaster like normal!

Also - this is in the wrong thread. Silly me - moved.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I should have put that in. They're hard to find. It's from ticketdirect.co.nz - not ticketek or ticketmaster like normal!

Also - this is in the wrong thread. Silly me - moved.

thanks for that watna. Dont know if i will buy them yet, im in 2 minds whether to stay in nz and apply for residency or not. So confused.

thanks for that watna. Dont know if i will buy them yet, im in 2 minds whether to stay in nz and apply for residency or not. So confused.

Do it!!!

Seriously, I don't know what you're situation is. Why are you confused about it? Are you not sure if you want to stay or not?

Do it!!!

Seriously, I don't know what you're situation is. Why are you confused about it? Are you not sure if you want to stay or not?

i think my main problem is i prob want to settle here, but im only 23 so a bit young for that carry on:-) and it seems like it would be so much easier to organise the skilled migrant visa while im in the country as opposed to being abroad\at home.
    See, i could organise a job (it would prob have to be an office job, related to my degree, which i prob wouldnt enjoy) here, which would give me over 140 points on my Eoi, and would get processed faster, i think it would be much harder find work if i was abroad.
    On top of that, i have a job offer in california aswell, just 7 months work but a job i really like. And to top it off, im getting a bit homepick aswell... I think it would be madness to swap nz for ireland though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Re : Border Security Tonight

Ok fess up lads who the hell is this Stephen lad selling ABN's :rolleyes:

i think my main problem is i prob want to settle here, but im only 23 so a bit young for that carry on:-) and it seems like it would be so much easier to organise the skilled migrant visa while im in the country as opposed to being abroad\at home.
    See, i could organise a job (it would prob have to be an office job, related to my degree, which i prob wouldnt enjoy) here, which would give me over 140 points on my Eoi, and would get processed faster, i think it would be much harder find work if i was abroad.
    On top of that, i have a job offer in california aswell, just 7 months work but a job i really like. And to top it off, im getting a bit homepick aswell... I think it would be madness to swap nz for ireland though?

Wow - you do have a lot going on. I don't really have any advice except to say I don't think it would be madness to swap NZ for Ireland. Home is home and some people can up and leave and some people can't. I intend on going back home in a year or two. Family and my friends are more important to me than anything else.

If I were you, I'd stay in NZ for a few years and then maybe go home when you are a bit older and feel more like settling somewhere. That's what I'm doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skittles_10

hi all,
    so myself and my boyfriend have got our 1 year work visas for oz and we plan to move over in aug. We are trying to look into getting jobs, places to live etc etc..
    can you give me any advice as to areas to look for rental accomodation and the best places to stay?
    We were thinking of flying into perth and then eventually working our way around over the year. So really if any1 has any info on perth and areas to stay and not to stay etc, possible work sites etc, general rental price for 1 or 2 bed apartment...etc etc.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2nd WHV arrived last night, ship ship the 12 months away from home

Mellor wrote: »
    2nd WHV arrived last night, ship ship the 12 months away from home

3 months rural done i'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Regional, but by no means rural.
    Saved a fortune on taxis, lived next door to the pub :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skittles_10

so myself and my boyfriend are moving to perth in august.
    Can any1 give us advice as to what area to look for accommodation? Whats the standard rental for 1 or 2 bed apartment? we are traveling over on a 1 year working holiday visa and neither of us have been to oz before, so its all new.. any advice would be greatly appreciated...:confused:

Advertisement