Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Mellor wrote: »
    Regional, but by no means rural.
    Saved a fortune on taxis, lived next door to the pub :D:D

Was just ribbing :D - with the amount of illegal 2WHV related posts floating around these days

so myself and my boyfriend are moving to perth in august.
    Can any1 give us advice as to what area to look for accommodation? Whats the standard rental for 1 or 2 bed apartment? we are traveling over on a 1 year working holiday visa and neither of us have been to oz before, so its all new.. any advice would be greatly appreciated...:confused:

Avoid the immediate city centre for living - its probably the most boring place on earth...get a car as soon as possible. its hard to do much in WA without a car and even though public transport is ace coming from the citym getting back into the city is always an issue

- there are nice suburbs close to the city like subi etc but I suppose it all depends where you will end up working...the train line in Perth is really good so somewhere close to that would probably suit best

not sure on current prices - think we paid $380 a week for a one bed in the city (about 2 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hey guys. emmm, just thought i'd pop in here and throw it out there that im now single. contemplating returning home once i get the funds. all a bit nuts. hope the rest of ye are doing sweet :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

anyone on here living in Perth..im looking to rent a room there by the end of the month..anyone looking for a roomie???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hey guys. emmm, just thought i'd pop in here and throw it out there that im now single. contemplating returning home once i get the funds. all a bit nuts. hope the rest of ye are doing sweet :) x

Hope your ok. Do you have a chance of doing a year in Oz?

Chin up;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ah dont go home, there will be nothing there for you. Life in NZ is sweet single or not!

ah, it's not being single, it was just that the only reason i ever came here was to be with him. ill probably end up staying here. still loving chch.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Hope your ok. Do you have a chance of doing a year in Oz?

Chin up;)

nah, used that up when my visa for nz was denied and i had to get out of the country. bit of a waste, but ah well, had to be done.

doing a lot better now. moved into a flat, where i dont quite have a room/bed/blankets yet, but love the people and the place, so things'll work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

doing a lot better now. moved into a flat, where i dont quite have a room/bed/blankets yet, but love the people and the place, so things'll work out

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you. At least in chch you can keep on surfing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

wellington the best city in the world after cork! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 allyg

HI all

My wife and i and our 3 yr old son are going to oz for 4 weeks in june /july could anyone give us some advice on where to go :rolleyes:

thanks
    allyg

• Advertisement

wellington the best city in the world after cork! :)

ah about 40% accuracy...not bad for a first post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

Information sought on Dunedin due to a prospective move there soon.......climate/people/things to do/work-climate/general information!

Any info greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wellington-Queenstown flying trip photos:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055883155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iilovelamp

ah, it's not being single, it was just that the only reason i ever came here was to be with him. ill probably end up staying here. still loving chch.

Aww you dote. Sure it's probably fate though, it'll all work out for you, I definitely wouldn't go home!

How about the rest of you guys, do you still get homesick for Eire? Any tips on dealing with it? Heading over to Sydney in July and afraid that I'll miss all the little things about Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Crumble - I'm only seeing this now. I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope your doing ok. Maybe you can make it up to Wellington for a visit now? Would love to have you! :)

That's if I ever get back to NZ. watna = stuck in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Volcano trouble?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Volcano trouble?

Yup, have moved my flight to Wednesday but it's not looking good for then either. God knows when I'll get back to NZ!

iilovelamp wrote: »
    Aww you dote. Sure it's probably fate though, it'll all work out for you, I definitely wouldn't go home!

How about the rest of you guys, do you still get homesick for Eire? Any tips on dealing with it? Heading over to Sydney in July and afraid that I'll miss all the little things about Dublin

aye, i reckon ill end up staying here, unless there's some sort of family crisis im needed for back home.

im not sure i have a way to deal with homesickness. when i felt it really bad, i put a thread up in personal issues, which was nice to get answers from irish people in other countries, and just to contact home in a way.

the longer im here, the less i get homesick, althought watching films like the snapper, a film with me in it, once and waveriders to tend to get me a bit homesick. took me ages to find good friends i really really clicked with here, but it's been so much easier to feel right at home here now that ive got those people around me.
    watna wrote: »
    Crumble - I'm only seeing this now. I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope your doing ok. Maybe you can make it up to Wellington for a visit now? Would love to have you! :)

That's if I ever get back to NZ. watna = stuck in Dublin!

aye, doing ok now. moved in under the stairs of my mate's flat/warehouse/venue. bit chilly, but fun place to live, grungy, lots of bands, heaps of punks and metallers around.

yes! ill have to make it up to wellington. at the moment saving for the rest of my tattoo to get up in new plymouth, but wellington in the spring could be nice.

Sounds like you're doing ok. :) You know where I am anyway. Ireland are playing the All Blacks in New Plymouth in June. I'm heading up to it. You should try to come then!

Got a flight out tomorrow so I should be back in Welly on Sunday evening, only a week late!

Coincidentally, 23rd April 2008 is the date I originally left Ireland to move to New Zealand and now, exactly two years later I'll be flying there from Ireland again. Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm moving to Australia later this year, more than likly in November. Am I stone mad travelling solo or is this the best way to do it? I'm not sure which city to head to 1st. I was considering starting off in Perth & staying there for a week or two just to see the city then maybe moving on to Melbourne. Where is the best place to live and find jobs etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I'm moving to Australia later this year, more than likly in November. Am I stone mad travelling solo or is this the best way to do it? I'm not sure which city to head to 1st. I was considering starting off in Perth & staying there for a week or two just to see the city then maybe moving on to Melbourne. Where is the best place to live and find jobs etc?

I traveled on my own in Asia for 3 months before I landed in Australia, and spent about a month moving around before I put root down... am still here 5 years on. Best thing I ever done

Going Solo is the best way, it means you are the most flexible and you are not relying on other people.

Imagine being offered a job in the mines but there's is only 1 job going, if you are with someone its likely you would knock the job back because you don't want to leave your mate.

Also when looking for a place to live, its easier to find a spare room rather than 2 spare rooms.

Its easy to make decisions when traveling, if you want to do something you can be as spontaneous as you wish.

Its easy to make new friends when your on your own, forces you to strike up conversation with strangers.

and best of all it builds character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 She123

Hi my first time on boards...hope im on the right thread...im looking for any information on moving to new zealand..myselaf and my partner and son are moving next January and are looking for an area which would be good for work and also for our son...Any ideas?

She123 wrote: »
    Hi my first time on boards...hope im on the right thread...im looking for any information on moving to new zealand..myselaf and my partner and son are moving next January and are looking for an area which would be good for work and also for our son...Any ideas?

I would reccommend Wellington 100% - its small but busy, plenty to do and I would imagine its extremely child friendly...work is plentiful (depending on what you do) - and January will be in the Summer so the weather should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Winter is moving in to Auckland.
    Already seeing the drop in tourism.

I hope people don't come here looking for easy casual bar work, most of us are cutting back as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭larsson7

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    I would reccommend Wellington 100% - its small but busy, plenty to do and I would imagine its extremely child friendly...work is plentiful (depending on what you do) - and January will be in the Summer so the weather should be good

Hey, can I ask what kind of work? Making the move in a few weeks and looking for accounting work. I have Auckland in mind but am open to anywhere.
    Thanks

larsson7 wrote: »
    Hey, can I ask what kind of work? Making the move in a few weeks and looking for accounting work. I have Auckland in mind but am open to anywhere.
    Thanks

Sorry, don't know about Accounting - my area is around Software contracting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lots of big business and government departments in Wellington. Public sector are supposed to be on a pay freeze right now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LisaMe

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Sydney next week.... I'm just wondering what type of clothes to bring... Some people say it's really cold, others say that the weather is not as bad as our winter. How is the weather there?? Will I need to bring warm jumpers etc?

Not sure about Sydney at the moment but if you come to Wellington its pretty miserable at the moment - wet and cold...Last July when I was in Sydney it got down to -1 (could have been in Canberra though) - either way it was cold so yes - winter is winter, you will need winter clothes and it can get really cold....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

LisaMe wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Sydney next week.... I'm just wondering what type of clothes to bring... Some people say it's really cold, others say that the weather is not as bad as our winter. How is the weather there?? Will I need to bring warm jumpers etc?

They do get winters too....Bring a rain jacket anyway! http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sydney+weather

Advertisement