Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LisaMe wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Sydney next week.... I'm just wondering what type of clothes to bring... Some people say it's really cold, others say that the weather is not as bad as our winter. How is the weather there?? Will I need to bring warm jumpers etc?
    Jeans and hoodies at the moment! It's alternating between just being cold, and pissing down rain.

Booo...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Sorry, don't know about Accounting - my area is around Software contracting...

Hi I'm a .net developer looking to move to NZ some time around October or November. How is the contract market at the moment...where are most of the developer roles? Also I'm 38, will I have trouble getting a visa?

Thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Hi I'm a .net developer looking to move to NZ some time around October or November. How is the contract market at the moment...where are most of the developer roles? Also I'm 38, will I have trouble getting a visa?

Thnx

Not sure about a visa as the WHV is definitely out - if you want to move permanently then it shouldnt be too hard but getting the job first may be a slight issue - once you sort a job then a permanent visa is a given if you want it...

The contract market here in Wellington (and Auckland) is very good (from my experience) - thats all Java/J2EE rather than .net though but can't see there being any less demand but if you don't have a 1/2 year visa then the contract marlket would be pretty much closed to you and I don't think permanent positions here pay great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Life in NZ is cold, so very very cold...... and wet! I had three extra blankets on the bed the other night and still woke up during the night cold and had to put on the electric blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep. Hat and many jumpers time again. The winter always makes you think "I must appreciate summer more next year".

I'm feeling really claustrophobic stuck indoors all day and night because its dark so early. Sometimes working in the hospital feels like working in a submarine. Maze of corridors and tunnels that go on forever.

Must be about time for another go at a Wellington Beers? :)

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote: »
    Yep. Hat and many jumpers time again. The winter always makes you think "I must appreciate summer more next year".

I'm feeling really claustrophobic stuck indoors all day and night because its dark so early. Sometimes working in the hospital feels like working in a submarine. Maze of corridors and tunnels that go on forever.

Must be about time for another go at a Wellington Beers? :)

Ooh, good idea. We should organise that. Somewhere with a fire and nice food!

Lovely bit of sun today in Sydney, but I was in work all day so didn't get to enjoy it :(

Still, can't complain! I have a job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dave! wrote: »
    Lovely bit of sun today in Sydney, but I was in work all day so didn't get to enjoy it :(

Still, can't complain! I have a job!

what did you get work in as a matter of interest?

I'm a 'Junior Technical Assistant' for a rather large website. I'm mainly just replying to emails about the site, but I do a bit of debugging and web design stuff. It's actually a sweet gig, the place is real laid back, the work is interesting, and the job is only 5 minutes' walk from my apartment! :D I landed on my feet with it.

And I got the call for the interview while I was in the middle of doing my construction green card course :D That was a close one! Wouldn't fancy labouring in the winter

Cool is that in the CBD?

• Advertisement

It's on Broadway, in Ultimo/Chippendale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thnx

Well if you apply for Permanent residency, and get it, then you can apply for contract roles. If you want the sponsorship visa, then the company will have to bring you over, which I doubt they'll do for a contract role.
    So you'd be looking for either a permanent role for the sponsorship, or permanent residency for any sorta job you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Watching father ted on prime now... 'I hear you're a racist now father'

Claasman wrote: »
    Watching father ted on prime now... 'I hear you're a racist now father'

I saw that episode too recently and I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so much, even though I've seen it so many times before.

"I don't have much time for the oul racism" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you ever get a chance to go to Bali (Indonesia) while in WA then jump at the chance.

I'm currently over here and the place is magic, especially if you like shopping, eating and drinking for feck all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey guys,

Whats the story with sponsership here in NZ, does it go under a different term. Whats involved.

I quite like it here and may stay a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I was lucky in that my employer was able to say that they couldnt find a kiwi to match my level of experience so i got a 3 year work permit under the skilled migrant scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hey guys,

Whats the story with sponsership here in NZ, does it go under a different term. Whats involved.

huh I thought you had applied for a 457 in Oz ?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    huh I thought you had applied for a 457 in Oz ?

I was on a 457 but company folded and getting a company to sponser you straight off the bat is tricky so now im in NZ and loving the sh1t out of it here.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you ever get a chance to go to Bali (Indonesia) while in WA then jump at the chance.

I'm currently over here and the place is magic, especially if you like shopping, eating and drinking for feck all! :D

Was there some weeks back and wasnt at all impressed with the place. Kuta is a bit of a dump IMO. Go to the gillis in Lombok. Much much better imo.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

afaik you have to get a work permit/visa and to get that you need to be employed in a job that is on the skills shortage list. Don't think you will get a permit as a barman but if you have a trade or something than its very possible.

Where in NZ are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I was on a 457 but company folded and getting a company to sponser you straight off the bat is tricky so now im in NZ and loving the sh1t out of it here.

Bugger tough break dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide between going to Oz or NZ. Could you tell me where in each you were living and which you preferred?

Cheers

ckenn2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide between going to Oz or NZ. Could you tell me where in each you were living and which you preferred?

Cheers

How long is a piece of string. It entirely depends on what you want and what you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

jank wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string. It entirely depends on what you want and what you like?

I understand this but I was trying to get brief idea of the impressions people have of the places. This way I can decide for myself which i think would suit me better to live.

But since you ask, I'm a civil engineer (not much experience, though) and would like to get career oriented work perhaps with a view towards getting sponsored. I'd like to live somewhere laid back with plenty of outdoor activities. Reasonably high wages would be a plus even if it meant slightly higher cost of living because the money earned could then be used elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

(not much experience, though) and would like to get career oriented work perhaps with a view towards getting sponsored.
    somewhere laid back with plenty of outdoor activities. Reasonably high wages would be a plus ...

To be honest, my best advice would be to get a few years experience under your belt (at home or closer to home) - Otherwise your chances of anything above are pretty slim...there are a hell of a lot of people coming to Oz/Nz without much experience and wondering why they can't get work - you may be extremely lucky but its unlikely...

the strange thing is if you have the relevant experience it will take you out of the bracket of having to fight for sh*tty jobs too so its a win win (besides the bit where you have to stay at home and gain more experience)

If you want high wages, go to Aus, not NZ. The pay here is shocking. It is made up in other things but still, if that's one of your criteria I wouldn't move to New Zealand.

watna wrote: »
    If you want high wages, go to Aus, not NZ. The pay here is shocking. It is made up in other things but still, if that's one of your criteria I wouldn't move to New Zealand.

You think so?
    I think they are pretty good.

jank wrote: »
    afaik you have to get a work permit/visa and to get that you need to be employed in a job that is on the skills shortage list. Don't think you will get a permit as a barman but if you have a trade or something than its very possible.

Where in NZ are you?

Nah, my job is on the skill shortage, Im in an office full of Brits.

Im in Auckland
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    Bugger tough break dude.

Yeah, sure I can always apply for PR
    Hi,

Cheers

Tough one, Melbourne was the most incredible city i have ever seen let alone lived in, but Auckland has alot going for it too. My advise is to do one for the full period of your visa then do the other.

• Advertisement

You think so?
    I think they are pretty good.

Yep, I think so and a lot of other people do too. Perhaps it is just not in the job you are doing? Generally, salaries in NZ are considered low.

That's why so many kiwis go over to Aus.

Advertisement