Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nah, my job is on the skill shortage, Im in an office full of Brits.

Im in Auckland

Yeah, sure I can always apply for PR

Tough one, Melbourne was the most incredible city i have ever seen let alone lived in, but Auckland has alot going for it too. My advise is to do one for the full period of your visa then do the other.

Auckland, meh. Havent really heard many people say much good about it especially Kiwi's.
    Also beware the process of PR in NZ. The most frustrating thing I have ever attempted in my life. NOT for the faint hearted!

watna wrote: »
    Yep, I think so and a lot of other people do too. Perhaps it is just not in the job you are doing? Generally, salaries in NZ are considered low.

That's why so many kiwis go over to Aus.

Dont think I have ever heard anyone say that the pay is good in NZ. You make your money in OZ but settle/retire in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    To be honest, my best advice would be to get a few years experience under your belt (at home or closer to home) - Otherwise your chances of anything above are pretty slim...there are a hell of a lot of people coming to Oz/Nz without much experience and wondering why they can't get work - you may be extremely lucky but its unlikely...

the strange thing is if you have the relevant experience it will take you out of the bracket of having to fight for sh*tty jobs too so its a win win (besides the bit where you have to stay at home and gain more experience)

Thats the truth alright, I think people in Ireland often hear all the success stories but really how many people pay attention to those who did the walk of shame and had to return because they couldn't get work and ran out of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Thats the truth alright, I think people in Ireland often hear all the success stories but really how many people pay attention to those who did the walk of shame and had to return because they couldn't get work and ran out of cash.

I have not heard those stories in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Anybody in NZ heading to New Plymouth on Saturday? I'm really looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

oooh - reached 8,000 posts and didn't even notice!

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I have not heard those stories in a while.

Which stories are you talking about?

The success stories of people lasting their year?

Or the stories of people doing the walk of shame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

To be honest, my best advice would be to get a few years experience under your belt (at home or closer to home) - Otherwise your chances of anything above are pretty slim...there are a hell of a lot of people coming to Oz/Nz without much experience and wondering why they can't get work - you may be extremely lucky but its unlikely...

the strange thing is if you have the relevant experience it will take you out of the bracket of having to fight for sh*tty jobs too so its a win win (besides the bit where you have to stay at home and gain more experience)

Thanks for the advice. Trouble is with the economy and the construction industry as it is that experience is almost impossible to get (nobody is hiring recent graduates when more experienced workers are crying out for jobs). I moved back from a year in Canada and haven't been able to find work. Ah well, looks like I have my work cut out for me.

I heard Perth might be my best bet - lots of engineering jobs. Anyone any thoughts? I'm also looking at Wellington because it just seems like a cool place to live?

Which stories are you talking about?

The success stories of people lasting their year?

Or the stories of people doing the walk of shame?

Walk of shame stuff

Walk of shame stuff

Not so many this year, but more early last year when the work was not so good and more than the usual just homesick crowd.

I knew one lad who was staying with friends of mine lasted only 8 weeks couldn't find work and didn't have that much money to start of with, pity really as friends and family held a party before he left thinking he was going for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

watna wrote: »
    Anybody in NZ heading to New Plymouth on Saturday? I'm really looking forward to it :)

Don't start - at least I got to sell my tickets - can't believe they are complaining that the match is not sold out. That would'nt be a problem if New Plymouth had the accommodation to hold all the people...

At least I'll be warm here in Welly, and I'll alwasy have that Story of how I had tickets to watch Ireland make history against the All blacks but couldnt go because of no accomodation (although over the years I can imagine the reason being replaced by something far more profound for dramatic effect :) )

ckenn2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Trouble is with the economy and the construction industry as it is that experience is almost impossible to get (nobody is hiring recent graduates when more experienced workers are crying out for jobs). I moved back from a year in Canada and haven't been able to find work. Ah well, looks like I have my work cut out for me.

I heard Perth might be my best bet - lots of engineering jobs. Anyone any thoughts? I'm also looking at Wellington because it just seems like a cool place to live?

I hear you - but you must remember that it is a similar situation over here...there are often alot of qualified people so you may end up in the same situtation. Whatever way I do think you're chances will be far better over here as long as you don't bet everything on it...its a long way to go to be disappointed but if you do get into one job here then it should be straight sailing...

I'd say Perth would be alot better than Wellington for engineering jobs - I don't think there is much here in Wellington but there is no comparison between the both as places to live - Wellington wins hands down...

Best of luck with it all anyway, once you sort your first job then the hard part is done - its far easier to secure further work once you have Oz/NZ experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Was just asked by immigration to supply my police and health check, only 6 weeks after I submitted my PR!

Usually this is one of the last stages! Hopefully will get it soon!

Happy days!

Oh Bank holiday long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Hey Hussey, outta interest what way did you go about applying for PR? ENS or independently?

Have to get the finger out and get my own app lodged soon!

hussey wrote: »
    Was just asked by immigration to supply my police and health check, only 6 weeks after I submitted my PR!

Usually this is one of the last stages! Hopefully will get it soon!

Happy days!

Oh Bank holiday long weekend!

Is this on a 175 or 176 ?

Because that is super fast as your right it should not be long

ENS 856 was only taking 3 weeks last year

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Going home for a few weeks, glad to be getting out of the cold, its freezing here in Canterbury.

Cold weather+single glazing+poor insulation= not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Don't start - at least I got to sell my tickets - can't believe they are complaining that the match is not sold out. That would'nt be a problem if New Plymouth had the accommodation to hold all the people...

At least I'll be warm here in Welly, and I'll alwasy have that Story of how I had tickets to watch Ireland make history against the All blacks but couldnt go because of no accomodation (although over the years I can imagine the reason being replaced by something far more profound for dramatic effect :) )

*cough* :p

I live with 3 kiwis. We went to the pub together to watch it. Me decked out in me Ireland jersey. After about 15 mins I was ready to take it off!! :o

The_B_Man wrote: »
    *cough* :p

I live with 3 kiwis. We went to the pub together to watch it. Me decked out in me Ireland jersey. After about 15 mins I was ready to take it off!! :o

Ha - I know...I have never been so glad to not be able attend a match in my life (God Bless you New Plymouth!)...now I'll always have the Story of a close escape :)

Is this on a 175 or 176 ?

Because that is super fast as your right it should not be long

175, I'm a bit shocked as that is very very fast!

• Advertisement

175, I'm a bit shocked as that is very very fast!

It is you must be well edumact...educat ...eudumact... clever.

I got my garda cert today, but it only states my irish address rather than where I currently live (for 4 years) will this be a problem at all?

so it says

yada yada yada states that hussey who resides at <irish address> and who previously resided at <not applicable> has no convicted crimes etc etc

I probably should say resides at <aus address> and wo previously lived at <irish address>

but just wondering how picky the guys are!

I got my garda cert today, but it only states my irish address rather than where I currently live (for 4 years) will this be a problem at all?

so it says

yada yada yada states that hussey who resides at <irish address> and who previously resided at <not applicable> has no convicted crimes etc etc

I probably should say resides at <aus address> and wo previously lived at <irish address>

but just wondering how picky the guys are!

If you been living in Australia for more than a year you need an Australian Federal Police check certificate.

Find it here

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

I actually found a copy on my PC attached, probably take about 2-6 weeks.

For those interested.

Just got word that a friend got his Permanent Residency 5 working days after lodgement, that was ENS through the Parramatta office.

For those interested.

Just got word that a friend got his Permanent Residency 5 working days after lodgement, that was ENS through the Parramatta office.

Wow thats fast! Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah a welsh guy I work with submitted his a month ago and just got his PR. Must be a good time of year. If i had the cash i think i'd go for it but a fiji holiday is far more important right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

hey im goin to australia hoping to work as a relief staff in preschools too, do ya have any advice? how did you get the job was it easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I've been in Australia 4 years and 3 months but for the last few days I've been very, very homesick. How do ye all cope with it?

• Advertisement

Man after 4 years I would have thought you were over it. Going on 2 years myself and it doesnt really bother me. Not much at home really for me. Its all doom and gloom. Was home for a few weeks in april and I was ready to go back to OZ after a week!! At least people are positive here.

Now and again you miss it but keep yourself busy doing things and its all alot easier.

Advertisement