Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I've been in Australia 4 years and 3 months but for the last few days I've been very, very homesick. How do ye all cope with it?

I simply tell myself that if I went home after the first few days after having a pint with the lads and seeing all the family. I would be back back where I started which is why I left.

You always long for some things. I dont think you ever quite adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I've been in Australia 4 years and 3 months but for the last few days I've been very, very homesick. How do ye all cope with it?

Normal enough for us all

I get the winter blues this time every year, once the good weather returns I always feel a bit better.

I always return every 2 years just to remind myself that I am lucky to be living in Australia, it may be unusually warm sunny weather back home atm but there is still plenty of doom & gloom.

Heard on the radio that David Cameron delivered a tough budget and cut a lot of public services in order for UK to pay back its debt... they suspect that UK could be facing a secondary recession. Wonder what effect this will have on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

I'm teaching in WA and glad to be here when I hear of how many of my teacher pals are out of work at home. Weather colder now and houses not built for it but still worth it. Public service jobs here are rewarded so much better, especially in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

Just a brag - top of the local pub's AFL tipping comp. 53 Aussies below me on the ladder, how embarrassing for them. Today is my 1 year anniversary of landing in Australia too.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pejesus

how hard is it to apply for a sposership visa a company i have delt with before want nearly 3000 ....could i do it my self or is it way to hard

• Advertisement

pejesus wrote: »
    how hard is it to apply for a sposership visa a company i have delt with before want nearly 3000 ....could i do it my self or is it way to hard

For a 457 its only about $700 altogether ie Nomination, Application, X-Rays. but will cost about another $2000 if an agent is used.

Its really easy for you to fill in all the required forms for the visa application you can do that yourself, you really don't need an agent to fill out your forms for you.

But the nomination from your employer involves a lot of paperwork about the company ie. Financial, Tax & training information and can be tricky enough. If you are 100% sure that your employer will not F**k it up then he wont require an agent but if he knows nothing about it I would be cautious.

Best to get your employer to pay for everything anyway and then you know its done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    For those interested.

Just got word that a friend got his Permanent Residency 5 working days after lodgement, that was ENS through the Parramatta office.

Lol. The waiting list in Ireland is 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tax year is over tomorrow,

So, when can i get the good old tax back,

also, its my first time, so should I go through an agent, or do it myself.
    Maybe a TB thread is needed

About 2 weeks.

You can download e-tax 2010 as of today I suppose.

I am going to attempt it but if it ****s me, its going to the accountant.

I do have a thread on TB somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can you do it yourself, and check the figure and then decide if your happy with it, and if not go to an accountant

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Can you do it yourself, and check the figure and then decide if your happy with it, and if not go to an accountant

Congrats you where the 1000 post on this thread!!!

Yeah exactly
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/32234.htm&page=5&H5

It costs just under 100 bucks to have an accountant do it.

Zambia232 wrote: »

It costs just under 100 bucks to have an accountant do it.

and you can claim that $100 back next year

mandrake04 wrote: »
    and you can claim that $100 back next year

Top marks mandrake yes you can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minxy Moo

Im homesick very homesick. Its all I can think about, miss our friends and our old lives. I know its stupid, I know there's no work! Can't help it tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Minxy Moo wrote: »
    Im homesick very homesick. Its all I can think about, miss our friends and our old lives. I know its stupid, I know there's no work! Can't help it tho :(

Its always the women.

cheeky :P

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Birthday today and have been in NZ now for nearly 6 months, duno where the time has gone. Done this WHV before 4 years ago in Canada n' loved it. Thought that was the end of my travelling until I got let go in the new year. Decided on NZ because...well always wanted to come here and I'm a big LOTR fan. Also the visa age expiry is 30...n well I've now come to that age..grey hairs n' all:D

I came here via Japan thinking this is gona be good but when I tried to settle down finding work and accommodation the homesickness just got worse the 1st 2 months (I thought I was immune to it having gone away before) Now I'm looking back and it wasn't so bad even though it was a rollarcoaster ride.

I'm working and living just outside Welly saving for more adventures here in this magnificent place. It does take awhile to adjust and I know that it's hard being without your closest friends and family (All the family live back home). But you do make friends abroad...you might even meet someone special which I have done and never expected it while over here. Travelling will always be a no 1 passion homesickness or not. Life is too short, there's a world out there waiting to be explored! Good luck in whatever your decisions may be..

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Birthday today and have been in NZ now for nearly 6 months, duno where the time has gone. Done this WHV before 4 years ago in Canada n' loved it. Thought that was the end of my travelling until I got let go in the new year. Decided on NZ because...well always wanted to come here and I'm a big LOTR fan. Also the visa age expiry is 30...n well I've now come to that age..grey hairs n' all:D

I came here via Japan thinking this is gona be good but when I tried to settle down finding work and accommodation the homesickness just got worse the 1st 2 months (I thought I was immune to it having gone away before) Now I'm looking back and it wasn't so bad even though it was a rollarcoaster ride.

I'm working and living just outside Welly saving for more adventures here in this magnificent place. It does take awhile to adjust and I know that it's hard being without your closest friends and family (All the family live back home). But you do make friends abroad...you might even meet someone special which I have done and never expected it while over here. Travelling will always be a no 1 passion homesickness or not. Life is too short, there's a world out there waiting to be explored! Good luck in whatever your decisions may be..

thanks, that was lovely and very well put!! We have been here over a year now. So its just wanting to see all my friends and that again. But I do love travelling, your right life is short and there is a lot to see, thats for sure :)

Hi Minx

Sorry your feeling like that. I hope you feel better soon:(

Not being cold but if you dont like it here you can return. I know a good few people that just did not want to end up here.

Ya, ah we will go back, just have to stick it out for another few months. Saving for a wedding, something that can not be done at home! I'll be grand, get over it, just hits me every now and then. :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I used to get homesick too in the first few years, but I found a simple solution

Just remind yerself
    Home is Miserabley cold
    My Family are a shower of Cvnts

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ray Pissed

Any new up todate advice for a structural engineering work in Australia, where are the best places to go. I have up to 10yrs experience with one company. Now redundant in Ireland.

Advice appreciated

Ray Pissed wrote: »
    Any new up todate advice for a structural engineering work in Australia, where are the best places to go. I have up to 10yrs experience with one company. Now redundant in Ireland.

Advice appreciated

change your user name :rolleyes:

sorry my bad, someone will come along we have a few eguneers on here I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Feeling a little homesick meself and I'm only here a week now, I love Australia heaps and yesterday driving on the Great Eastern Highway (Kalgoorlie to Perth) with it lashing rain and to see the trees glistening and the parched desert soaking in the precious rain was an experieince that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Then we went from a Hotel to a Hostel (****hole) and seeing all the Irish there literally living in squalor almost made me cry, I am determined to go back home and help make Ireland a better country. We as a group of people need to stop running away from our problems and tackle them head on.

I have seen Irish in poverty and Australia is only good if you plenty of dollars and is the same as celtic tiger Ireland with inflated prices and an ego to match, the coming collapse of the Chinese property bubble will destroy Australia due to their mineral export led economy and anyone with notions of Australia is a land of riches is kidding themselves. It is only really good for those of us lucky enough to posess a high powered graduate degree, construction workers will see this place dry up too.

Oz is Holiday central, but to live here would be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Feeling a little homesick meself and I'm only here a week now, I love Australia heaps and yesterday driving on the Great Eastern Highway (Kalgoorlie to Perth) with it lashing rain and to see the trees glistening and the parched desert soaking in the precious rain was an experieince that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Then we went from a Hotel to a Hostel (****hole) and seeing all the Irish there literally living in squalor almost made me cry, I am determined to go back home and help make Ireland a better country. We as a group of people need to stop running away from our problems and tackle them head on.

I have seen Irish in poverty and Australia is only good if you plenty of dollars and is the same as celtic tiger Ireland with inflated prices and an ego to match, the coming collapse of the Chinese property bubble will destroy Australia due to their mineral export led economy and anyone with notions of Australia is a land of riches is kidding themselves. It is only really good for those of us lucky enough to posess a high powered graduate degree, construction workers will see this place dry up too.

Jayzus mate, big opinions after only having been here a week! :eek: How many states were ya in within that time? Did you work?

Madness tbh

Im with Dave ... your chicken licken routine while having some grains of truth is going a little to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Im with Dave ... your chicken licken routine while having some grains of truth is going a little to far.

could be that he is the rare sort of drink that remembers every little detail of a night out and someone gave him a massive spiel, if he is can he come out for a piss up in cork, after 1.00am i turn into a raving idiot, would love to know what i say:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dramatic Nonsense

Are you alright mate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

JAYSIS some of my fondest memories are sittin around in Sh1thole Hostels with about ten dollars between a dozen of us, tis good for the soul to sit back and reexamine your priorities now and again, also it gives you a real apreciation for Value for money, 5L of Goon for $9 leaves enough money for a weeks supply of MagiNoodles;)

Stinicker I wouldnt be so aloof in yer first few weeks, if you just Chill out you can make some great new friends, if you harp on like that out loud you could end up having a horrible time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moosey2Loosey

Must be nice to be a " High Powered Graduate ". Do you have x-ray vision? Sure You'll fix Ireland in no time with your high powers.

Advertisement