Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Not for me. However it ended last friday for me when the cats went out. Oh and well done mellor

Thanks, was happy to get something like finally done, missed the city2surf twice. Legs were sore last night, but I think I'll be at it again in the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Not big into AFL myself but in Melbourne its a religion. I much prefer Rugby League or Union. However AFL is the biggest sport in Oz, apart from summer cricket of course. Might give a glance to the grand final on sunday but tbh meh. The MCG is a nice stadium though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

On another note, this is going to be controversal but Melbourne for me is overrated. Heard it was the place to go especially here on boards.ie but after my second visit to the place its nice and all but lacks character and atmosphere. Like an Australian Singapore (which I also like by the way but Hong Kong is better!). I don't know, for me Sydney has what I want for the time being. Dont think I would live in Sydney for the rest of my life, that will always be NZ but Sydney > Melbourne for me.

Plus its fecking cold down here. Left Syndey on a sunny saturday morning. Perfect morning. I arrive in Melbourne and its cold and wet and I mean cold as in NZ cold! Least in NZ you get mountains and proper skiing to go with the cold. The weather was a real shock to me.

Sydney has its faults too, summer can get a little too hot, traffic and driving is dangerous, transport and infrastructure could do with a bit of a clean up but it will always have the weather, the beaches and of course the most beautiful harbour in the world. Melbourne seems to me to try too hard to be cool and understated. There is no buzz around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jank wrote: »
    Sydney > Melbourne for me.
    I can understand that
    Plus its fecking cold down here. Left Syndey on a sunny saturday morning. Perfect morning. I arrive in Melbourne and its cold and wet and I mean cold as in NZ cold! Least in NZ you get mountains and proper skiing to go with the cold. The weather was a real shock to me.
    Yes it gets cold here at night the cold is really cutting. However we do have sking but you have to go 2 hours North of Melbourne to get it. we even have Mountains
    Sydney has its faults too, summer can get a little too hot, traffic and driving is dangerous, transport and infrastructure could do with a bit of a clean up but it will always have the weather, the beaches and of course the most beautiful harbour in the world. Melbourne seems to me to try too hard to be cool and understated. There is no buzz around the place.

Yes there is a whole Melb scene that can get on my nerves. Its feels a little like there is an epi centre that refuses to believe less than an hours drive from South Yarra there is Bogans,bush and roos and stuff. But Sydney has that too.

I love that the two are different. Sydney to me really feels like a more modern city. I did really love Sydney especially the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I won't say that you're wrong Jank cos with regards to the two cities I think it's a case of each to their own, for me I'd much rather Melbourne over Sydney.

When I first moved here from Sydney I was the same and really wondered why I'd come down here from there at all. I think the thing with Melbourne is that it just takes time to get to know it, and find out where all the good spots are. You're never going to come down here for a weekend from Sydney and see the "real" Melbourne imho.
    I know that might seem a little wanky and pretentious but it's just the way that Melbourne works, and once you've lived here for a little while and found some really nice bars, cafes and shops then the city kind of opens up to you.

Melbourne definitely isn't without its faults either though, I'd definitely agree with you on the cold weather as it's been very cold (and wet!) here over the past few months, and I'm very sick of it at this stage! I don't remember it raining this much before!
    Also, Melbourne simply doesn't come close to Sydney in terms of the visual appeal of the city. Sydney harbour is just stunning and I absolutely love the beaches there. That's probably actually the one thing I'd definitely change here, if I could bring Sydney's beaches to Melbourne, then I'd be a happy camper!

• Advertisement

Sydney for me,
    its true what they say, people just like one or the other a little bit (or a lot more)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

+1 for Melbourne here but yea I wouldn’t mind a bit of an improvement in the weather now I think this rain business has gone on long enough and its time for some fun in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

just back from a week im melbourne. I really liked it there, great nightlife and heaps of life in the place. Coming from perth though the weather was shocking. didnt see the sun once and froze my nipps off. i forgot just how perfect the perth climate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Heyas, just to keep ye updated, though not got much time at the mo, but found a house to live in last week! Nice place, but nothing like what I was living in, sadly :(

did find this picture though, think twas the first photo on the internet (twitter) after the quake... if you look outside our house you'll see me and my boyfriend behind me, this is before my flatmates even made it outta the house. nuts.

gal001.jpg

Good to hear from you Froo. Glad to hear you have got some digs now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Glad you're ok - it's great you got somewhere else to live. Seems like Christchurch is slowly getting there.

The sun is shining in Wellington. It's a miracle after the rain and wind of the last week. I thought I'd never be warm again after I got soaked walking home on Thursday.

Do not move to NZ for the weather!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Does any one know if you can get stadium tours of the Melbourne Cricket ground? I'm going to Australia in 5 weeks time starting off in Melbourne and the Cricket stadium is one of the many places I hope to see. Another question where is best city to be at Christmas? I'm undecided on where to travel around after Ive seen Melbourne. Hoping to take in Canberra as well.

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Hoping to take in Canberra as well.

MCG Tours, which take approximately one hour and includes a tour guide, depart regularly from Gate 3 from 10am-3pm (except Christmas Day, Good Friday and major MCG event days).

Why Canberra??

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Zambia232 wrote: »

MCG Tours, which take approximately one hour and includes a tour guide, depart regularly from Gate 3 from 10am-3pm (except Christmas Day, Good Friday and major MCG event days).

Why Canberra??

I just want to see what its like tbh. Heard its meant 2 b a lovely city. Were u there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

watna wrote: »
    Glad you're ok - it's great you got somewhere else to live. Seems like Christchurch is slowly getting there.

The sun is shining in Wellington. It's a miracle after the rain and wind of the last week. I thought I'd never be warm again after I got soaked walking home on Thursday.

Do not move to NZ for the weather!! :)

wow, we've been having great weather all week. got my first sunburn the day after the quake, so ive been wearing my factor 50 just about every day since then. not built for this heat.

hehe, had our first series of parties at our new place over the week/weekend, twas much fun, it's good to know people can still get loose in our new place (before we lived in a somewhat run-down warehouse, party central).

life's good here, looking forward to hopefully getting the $1,000 from the earthquake relief fund/red cross, be good to help setting up house and ****, and just having been so ridiculously broke since the quake (i confess, on the weekend of the 4th and 5th, i spent my last $70 on pizza for everyone and beers... haven't managed to recover from that yet)....but yay, gonna be able to purchase my very own bicycle on wednesday, gonna be so handy for getting to and from the beach when im outta cash for the bus (which is more expensive again, i think the 4th price rise since i moved here.

but yay, all in great spirits this end, caught the roller derby on saturday, brilliant night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The Sun is shining at long last in Melbourne!

That was great weather for the weekend. Spring has finally arrived thank God! Got down to St.Kilda for a while on Sunday and it was packed with massive cues outside the Ice-cream shops.

Fingers crossed that next weekend is the same!

True over the weekend I suddenly remembered I had moved to Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Yep, t'is starting to heat up over west too. I think we're getting 30 degrees on thursday or friday. I wish it would stay like this for the summer. 35-40 is just too damn hot

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I just want to see what its like tbh. Heard its meant 2 b a lovely city. Were u there before?
    I don't even consider it a city tbh.
    It's a ghost town at the weekends, we drove through a few sundays ago and struggled to find a bottle shop open, eventually got one open 10 mins to close, this was 6-7pm too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just arrived back in Sydney after a holiday ... with a brand new Permanent resident visa! Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just mentioned on the news hat We had 80mm of Rain in one hour Last night, Highest was 83 at Callamvale:eek: Creek at back of Yard is startin to Flood

Can we have some? Feckin water restrictions

Sure, Come on over, bring yer own Kayak tho, The Creek at the back of the Yard is still Up.

A friend of mine on the other side of the Creek found that the water had come up the driveand over the doorsills of his car

So he is actually 'up the creek'

My old Merc is parked by the Creek too, the Water was over the 3point Star on the Bonnet last night, theres absolutlet no possibility of gettin it out of there for a few days at least. The Cruiser seems to be fairing better, but I'm terified that the bank will sollapse and She'll go right under.

Has rained fair constant since Thursday, if it keps going for anotherday or 2 we're seriously staring dowm the Barrel of another 73 Flood, Be interestin to see how the new tunells fare

Bloke I know was towin a trailer with his Cruiser cross a Weir/causeway/ford/thingy whatever, he got swept in arsewys downstream, but in Fairness to the SES they had him out in a fewhours,Levelhead and all that

Still Fukkin Rainin here :(:(:(

Still tho, Saw some muppet on a bicycle gettin clean out of it by a Celica this mornin, Fukker flew right over the roof of the Car, Blocked up the T-Junction tho for 10 minutes Grrrrr. why cant these dopey idiots get themseles broke up without holdin up all the trafic

Still Fukkin Rainin here :(:(:(

Still tho, Saw some muppet on a bicycle gettin clean out of it by a Celica this mornin, Fukker flew right over the roof of the Car, Blocked up the T-Junction tho for 10 minutes Grrrrr. why cant these dopey idiots get themseles broke up without holdin up all the trafic

:eek: holy ****! Cycling is dangerous though, i almost got knocked off the bike on saturday, buy a ****ing magpie!! The ****er was HUGE! Me just peddling along, minding my own business when this thing (the size of a pterodactyl*) tries to grab the helmet off my head. Then chased me down the road, much to the amusment of passing drivers :o

(*may or may not be an exaggeration)

• Advertisement

Typical Collingwood supporters ... Robbing f**kers

Advertisement