Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Yeah man, and quite a nice amount of old people I did notice, so I imagine I'd find work easy enough. Pretty much always got a couch to crash on there too, so I suspect I'll be spending a bit more time in New Plymouth over the next while.

However, shall not be moving there, due to the fact I've got a job again in Christchurch now! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimrod

Thinking of either going to Oz on a one year working holiday visa or else applying for a skilled migration visa, i'm a qulaified structural aircraft mechanic. Does anyone know if there's much work there in that area?
    Would I be better off going with the one year working holiday visa first and then if things were good to go for the skilled migration visa or else look for sponsorship?
    Any help is much appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

anybody no if its hard to find work as a plumber in melbourne im thinken of headin over from ireland,or even labouring

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dimrod wrote: »
    i'm a qulaified structural aircraft mechanic. Does anyone know if there's much work there in that area?

I think a few Quantas planes are going to need some work going by the news over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Hey guys. I've arrived in Melbourne today and like what I have seen so far. I'm just wondering will employers need to see proof that I am eligable to work in the country when I'm applying for jobs. Might sound stupid I know. I just want to make sure things go smoothly. Any one going to be around the St. Kilda area tomorrow and Thursday? Staying in Base them 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Hey guys. I've arrived in Melbourne today and like what I have seen so far. I'm just wondering will employers need to see proof that I am eligable to work in the country when I'm applying for jobs. Might sound stupid I know. I just want to make sure things go smoothly. Any one going to be around the St. Kilda area tomorrow and Thursday? Staying in Base them 2 days.

They'll probably ask you. Just print out the e-mail you got that says you have it. Only tell them you're here on a WHV if the ask. Dont mention it until they do. Its a very big deterrant for some employers becasue they can only employ you for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You should get a Tax File Number. This solves many a distressed employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

This probably isn't the right thread for this but there seems to be a lot of people here who would have experience with this.

Recently arrived in NZ and am struggling to find work. It seems that they are reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have residency. But can't get residency without a job! Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

I'm a civil engineer so I also have to deal with the other big catch 22 (no job without experience but can't get experience without a job). Considering moving to Perth, even though I just got here, because there appears to more demand for engineers there. Thoughts, suggestions all welcome. :o

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You should get a Tax File Number. This solves many a distressed employer.

I have a tax back card. Its red and blue. Is that of any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

ckenn2 wrote: »
    This probably isn't the right thread for this but there seems to be a lot of people here who would have experience with this.

Recently arrived in NZ and am struggling to find work. It seems that they are reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have residency. But can't get residency without a job! Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

I'm a civil engineer so I also have to deal with the other big catch 22 (no job without experience but can't get experience without a job). Considering moving to Perth, even though I just got here, because there appears to more demand for engineers there. Thoughts, suggestions all welcome. :o

Ah give it more time. Don't know much about civil engineering but I was looking for an accounting job for 4 weeks before I got one in Auckland. I'd say you're best bet is probably to look for contract work as they're more likely to take someone who has a WHV and that could be your way into a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I got my 4th visa/permit last week. Valid for another 2yrs :)

In the new year year when I get over my mass amount of bills I'll apply for residency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ckenn2 wrote: »

Having 0 experience is what is holding you back not the visa really. I suppose the quick answer is to try harder or just chill and get other work. NZ is a great place get a bar job or something for a year and then go to Perth when done.

Maybe you should have thought this through a bit before jumping ship.

I dont know what that is ?

If you went to the tax office to get one you should have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 studioguest

Ok folks need a bit of advice/assurance here..... I am currently working in Ireland and I have been offered a job in Brisbane . Its a well paid job and they are looking after my Visa and paying for my flights.

The money I am on here in Ireland is just ok and is getting me by, I would be on more than double in Brisbane..

Some days I am all gung ho about going and then some days I am almost homesick before I go.... I don't know what to do...

By all accounts this country is fxxked for a couple of years and the budget is going to be a savage one.. I am aware I might not get this chance again especially getting sponsored.

Has anyone any advice on Brisbane and what its like or any general advice please?

I have a question how good is your family and friends network in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

That sounds something like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU9Blq-OXijBb26ALqj_WQwD-4JtQFZtinswpwkFxmHAx09SE&t=1&usg=__MKMYxojLe12zVwXeqWcdFYjYDzw=

If it is .........thats going be of no use.

You need to go to the ATO and get a TFN

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/38760.htm

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I have a question how good is your family and friends network in ireland?

I presume that question was for me?? It is very good I suppose that is part of the problem in making the move..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

I presume that question was for me?? It is very good I suppose that is part of the problem in making the move..

I've just accepted a job in Brisbane which nearly doubles my salary and I have much the same worries. Except my girlfriend and her family are from Brisbane so I have a ready-made family and friend network to plug into. Although that may make it harder to make friends on my own (not being free and single to go out every night!)

Obviously I would say go for it. It's a bit of an adventure and you'll live more comfortably and hopefully save a bit of cash. Give it a shot for a year or two, travel the region, (go to the rugby world cup next year!) and if you like it, great! If you don't, return home with experience of another culture and another workplace. Only you will know if you'll like Brisbane but it sounds like your skills are in demand (if they're paying to bring you over) so if you hate the city you might be able to find someone to take you on elsewhere.

I'm gonna set aside money so that if I need to buy a rushed flight home for family reasons then I don't need to think about it. With that and skype-savvy parents I'm a lot more comfortable with being that far away

Yeah , it's actually a huge sacrifice.

Thanks for that guys... decision time in the next few days..

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That sounds something like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU9Blq-OXijBb26ALqj_WQwD-4JtQFZtinswpwkFxmHAx09SE&t=1&usg=__MKMYxojLe12zVwXeqWcdFYjYDzw=

If it is .........thats going be of no use.

You need to go to the ATO and get a TFN

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/38760.htm

Thanks for the info. I have it sorted. Should be with me within 5-10 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thanks for the info. I have it sorted. Should be with me within 5-10 working days.

No worries mate, good luck with job hunting.

Has anyone been to surfers paradise up in the Gold Coast? I'm considering going there next week. Heard its meant to be brilliant. In Melbourne at the mo. One or two main places that I still want to visit 1st before I leave this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Has anyone been to surfers paradise up in the Gold Coast?

Good place to pass through, good for a weekend on the lash, bit tacky, full of cashed up bogans and "the beautiful people", one of those must do's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Has anyone been to surfers paradise up in the Gold Coast? I'm considering going there next week. Heard its meant to be brilliant. In Melbourne at the mo. One or two main places that I still want to visit 1st before I leave this neck of the woods.

I didnt stay in the town, but i went to Warner Brothers Movie World and Wet N' Wild, both are awesome :D

Sea World was a big let down though, no killer whales :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Meh, Surfers is an Awful place full of Absolute Tools most nights, there are many wonderful areas you could visit in the region, Surfers aint one, for something a little nicer try Tweed/Coolangatta.

Surfers has the Name, thats why its chok a blok with unimaginative Retatrds, to appreciate it in its Full Glory ya want to get there for 'Schoolies'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Mackman wrote: »
    I didnt stay in the town, but i went to Warner Brothers Movie World and Wet N' Wild, both are awesome :D

Sea World was a big let down though, no killer whales :(

i seen some up there,

they had big bellies hanging over their denim shorts and black teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

to appreciate it in its Full Glory ya want to get there for 'Schoolies'

The only people who go to schoolies who are not schoolies are the dirty old perverts who try to "up skirt" the 16/17 year olds, get any good footage Mahatma:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stereosonic tomorrow
    cannot wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

Ok folks need a bit of advice/assurance here..... I am currently working in Ireland and I have been offered a job in Brisbane . Its a well paid job and they are looking after my Visa and paying for my flights.

The money I am on here in Ireland is just ok and is getting me by, I would be on more than double in Brisbane..

Some days I am all gung ho about going and then some days I am almost homesick before I go.... I don't know what to do...

By all accounts this country is fxxked for a couple of years and the budget is going to be a savage one.. I am aware I might not get this chance again especially getting sponsored.

Has anyone any advice on Brisbane and what its like or any general advice please?

Hi guys- my OH is in this exact same position. Has been contacted by an agency in London about a very big job prospect in Perth for a huge company with a salary to match. Now he hasn't been made a job offer yet but all conversations are pointing towards one... We are both living & working in Irl. Getting married in a few mths & have no dependents except the oul mortgage. They'll look after visas for us both & flights plus relocation costs- its a 4 yr contract. I'm a childcare (early yrs/pre school) graduate with 6 yrs exp in different fields & my skills are on 'the list'.

Are there drawbacks we just aren't seeing? We're not the type of people who take huge risks or have ever been presented with this type of situation before. It's really knocked us for 6 as its not something we'd have even thought about before! We've lived away from home now for nearly 7 yrs but have really good family & friends- that I know we'd miss...

I suppose I'd just really like some advice/info on the situation. Thanks

Advertisement