Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just responding to one point in your post

IT IS Our jobs to be a Moral compass, thats sort of the concept of a civilised society, there are rules, we should all be aware of these rules, if you see someone oblivious to them it is your Civic duty to inform them.

We have gotten to the position we are in Today as a society because of this ''Its not MY Problem" attitude, its all of our Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Just responding to one point in your post

IT IS Our jobs to be a Moral compass, thats sort of the concept of a civilised society, there are rules, we should all be aware of these rules, if you see someone oblivious to them it is your Civic duty to inform them.

We have gotten to the position we are in Today as a society because of this ''Its not MY Problem" attitude, its all of our Problem.

Do you really think that critisizing a hoons driving will garner a positive response from them? More of a chance of them turning on you. Better to report them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you honestly think reporting them is going to make them stop their driving.

A paedo is different, reporting protects young'uns, same with crimes that have a victim.
    But littering (even though its not right) is minor and the result its a fine for them, and they continue doing it. Nothing accomplished, if you take satisfaction in knowing they had to pay a fine, then go for it. I wouldn't like to be the reason for somebody to get fined, unless what they did had an impact on me.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I think the best response i saw to some idiot driving like a nob in a little Civic rice burner was this Bogan in a Falcon, this pimply little twat in the Civic over took me to get upto the Falcon driving Bogan at the red lights, so they were sitting at the lights side by side and the little rice burner revving his engine staring at the Bogan, next thing a half can of VB gets thrown at the Civic and this fat hairy Bogan in a wife beater starts getting out of his car, Civic broke the red light and gone. i still laugh about that one:D

Mackman wrote: »
    Do you really think that critisizing a hoons driving will garner a positive response from them? More of a chance of them turning on you. Better to report them IMO.

Depends, if its Just me tellin them and everyone else is Cheering them on or Turning a Blind eye then NO, but if the Hoon gets lambastaded EVERY TIME they do something Patently Retarded, and I dont mean just callin them a Dickead and driving off, but actually takin the time to highlight the Stupidity of their actions to them then YES it would make a positive difference.

But hey if its just me bangin my head against a Wall then So be it, I'm gonna keep telling them WHY I think they're Retards.

And yes the average Bogan/hoons first recourse is the Fist, not so much of a problem for me as I'm Six foot one and can handle meself fairly well at this stage, My first tack however is to Belittle and destroy their confidence, they normaly only attack with a bunch of mates for Moral support, so turn that Bunch on them, it does a lot more lasting damage than a swift kick in the balls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

What exactly is a hoon? I've heard it used as a verb in NZ i.e. "A fight broke out so I hooned it out of there"

Is a hoon a boy racer or a bogan or what?

I like to get my terminology right :)

sort of a Boyracer & Bogan rolled into one.
    Altho they're not all Bogans, but most are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

sort of a Boyracer & Bogan rolled into one.
    Altho they're not all Bogans, but most are.

Hmm, still not 100% clear but I can visualise the type of people you're talking about alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

watna wrote: »
    Hmm, still not 100% clear but I can visualise the type of people you're talking about alright.

OK, i will try my best to describe a Bogan to you, they are normally poorly breed white (not always but mostly) Trash, gaped yellow teeth, spend the house income on their 1991 VN Commodore or Falcon of the same era, when their wife/defacto and children go without, normally beats said wife and kids if they complain sometimes without complaining, every time the wife spits out another "Bogan Brat" the Baby Bonus is spent on another VN Commodore (previous one still on the side of the road with a blown head gasket), Tottoos and flat screen tv to replace the one he smashed up, always has a criminal record, i think you get the drift.

Now a Hoon is bit of a grey area because it can incorporate many things, from my experience they are young Bogans who still might have aspirations of one day holding down regular full time work and spending the whole household income on Boganising a 2 year old Toyota Landcruiser, but will drive any manor of vehicles in their Hoon youth but must be "worked on", Hoons are particularly tough in groups but soft as yogurt when alone and always has cheesy tough stickers (tatoos).

Just my interpretation:D

This may Help Clarify the situation Watna

Altho they have moved on to the VN Crummydore they still have a soft spot for the VL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok first up litter is not a victimless crime.

Every week in Belfast local people would deposit large amounts of their personnal waste including soiled nappies etc behind our house. Then someone else would set fire to it. One day the PSNI saw the blaze and asked me did this happen a lot. I said every second week. They responded I should do something about that because we dont really have any time.

In the case here a guy throws a bottle out a window and I can actually do something about it. So f**k it why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Depends, if its Just me tellin them and everyone else is Cheering them on or Turning a Blind eye then NO, but if the Hoon gets lambastaded EVERY TIME they do something Patently Retarded, and I dont mean just callin them a Dickead and driving off, but actually takin the time to highlight the Stupidity of their actions to them then YES it would make a positive difference.

But hey if its just me bangin my head against a Wall then So be it, I'm gonna keep telling them WHY I think they're Retards.

And yes the average Bogan/hoons first recourse is the Fist, not so much of a problem for me as I'm Six foot one and can handle meself fairly well at this stage, My first tack however is to Belittle and destroy their confidence, they normaly only attack with a bunch of mates for Moral support, so turn that Bunch on them, it does a lot more lasting damage than a swift kick in the balls
    This is fine by me , however I could not be arsed talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Arriving in Oz in January.
    Still trying to decide where to settle. :confused:
    Sydney or Melbourne????

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mickey Wrangler

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving to Sydney in early Janauary. She has found a very good job which provides sponsorship, so the visa is sorted. We're currently looking for somewhere to live and checking the usual sites like domain.com.au etc. We noticed that most places are unfurnished and generally expensive, but I guess that's something we'll just have to live with. Initally, we're looking for units (or perhaps a house if we're lucky) around or close to Neutral Bay. When we arrive we expect to view a few places and move in within the following few weeks or so, and go through the enviable task of buying furniture and basic house-hold requirements.
    Our main concern at the moment is that during the period, directly after we arrive, we have nowhere to stay and are currently looking at hotels. But, most places seem very expensive. Staying in a hotel or whatever seems to be the only thing I can think of, but I'm sure this is a problem that many people come up against...

Does anyone have any advice in this regard?

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

hi

does anybody know how i apply for my 2nd year working visa from ireland????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving to Sydney in early Janauary. She has found a very good job which provides sponsorship, so the visa is sorted. We're currently looking for somewhere to live and checking the usual sites like domain.com.au etc. We noticed that most places are unfurnished and generally expensive, but I guess that's something we'll just have to live with. Initally, we're looking for units (or perhaps a house if we're lucky) around or close to Neutral Bay. When we arrive we expect to view a few places and move in within the following few weeks or so, and go through the enviable task of buying furniture and basic house-hold requirements.
    Our main concern at the moment is that during the period, directly after we arrive, we have nowhere to stay and are currently looking at hotels. But, most places seem very expensive. Staying in a hotel or whatever seems to be the only thing I can think of, but I'm sure this is a problem that many people come up against...

Does anyone have any advice in this regard?

Many thanks.

Maybe you could consider taking a one month short term rental on a furnished place. I haven't been there in a few years but there used to be some options for this type of rental. Last time I was in Oz I sub letted a room from an English guy who was visiting home. Probably find one on Gumtree or something.
    Neutral Bay is a nice area especially if you are working on the North side of the bridge.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Ok first up litter is not a victimless crime.
    I meant as in direct victim
    Like I said if it bothers you enough to ring, fair enough, I just wouldn't be arsed as he prob isn't going to get fined.

Anyway, time is running out for a place to stay, f**k you agents anyeay, a week before xmas what a load of sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I hate estate agents....

They just lie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I hate estate agents....

They just lie

Hey Mandrake,

I noticed that. Particularly in Sydney. I agree that they tell bare-faced lies. They are unbelievably unhelpful, generally obnoxious and rude. It defies belief how anal some people can be and how bad at their job many of them seem to get away with.

The high cost of renting in Sydney is crippling and apparrently, it's quite common for the above "agents" to increase the rent shortly after you have moved in.

I've been trying, without any success, to arrange inspections for when we arrive (mid-Jan), however not one agent has the courtesy to reply. They refuse to offer details of any property, including preferred lease period. We are looking for somewhere to stay for a few weeks when we arrive (i.e. a short-term lease), until we find a property that we can afford etc., however I'm having no success. The high cost of staying in a hotel for a few weeks is simply prohibitive.

In fairness, if you think Estate Agents are bad at their job, you should take a look at Recruitment Agents. They are incapable of intellect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They can get away with it cos there is a rental shortage, people actually out bid each other to pay the highest rent. I bought my own place and it's worth the extra $80 a week to drill holes in the walls.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    They can get away with it cos there is a rental shortage, people actually out bid each other to pay the highest rent. I bought my own place and it's worth the extra $80 a week to drill holes in the walls.

Yeah, I think buying is a good option and removes the influence of a third party with an IQ in single digits.

However, I think being on a business sponsorship visa, having only recently arrived in the country and also being a non-national would present major obstacle when looking for a mortgage and expose us to very high interest rates. Paying high rent will also make saving for a high deposit very difficult.

Are you aware in any agenices in Sydney that deal short term lettings and can be engaged online? Surely with the volume of people who arrive in Sydney each year, having difficulty finding somewhere to stay when they arrive is a common problem???

I've been trying, without any success, to arrange inspections for when we arrive (mid-Jan), however not one agent has the courtesy to reply. They refuse to offer details of any property, including preferred lease period. We are looking for somewhere to stay for a few weeks when we arrive (i.e. a short-term lease),
    Are you aware in any agenices in Sydney that deal short term lettings and can be engaged online? Surely with the volume of people who arrive in Sydney each year, having difficulty finding somewhere to stay when they arrive is a common problem???

TBH, I think you are being a litle inreasonable.
    How could they advise you on viewings a month or two from now, the majority of places available now might not be then. They tend to work weekly on viewings, and for a good palce its all they last.

also, the lease term is up to the owner not the agent, very few owners that are willing to take a short term lease will bother to go through an agent and will likely manage themselves. Prob via gumtree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I've been trying, without any success, to arrange inspections for when we arrive (mid-Jan), however not one agent has the courtesy to reply.

A lot of the places are open inspections, so you turn up with the crowd. January is apparently a really bad time to be trying to get accomodation as no one moves then.

I had to fork out $1700 a week for a hotel for a while which was rather expensive, rent on my house is now $825 a week which is more bearable - still silly money though.

I'm near Neutral Bay myself - in Cremorne - at the moment, and there are plenty of apartments for lease (I needed pet friendly which made it hassle). Its a nice spot - great not to be surrounded by paddy's too.

Check out stayz.com.au for places - heres an apartment in Neutral Bay which is rented for a minimum of 1 week

http://www.stayz.com.au/40104?checkin=15/01/2011&numNights=14

$825 A Week :eek: serioulsy??

I have been out of the Rental game for far too long, I got a job where my boss owns a lot of properties, so I get to pick one and live in it, altho I think he's going to sell the one I'm in at the moment, but I've picked the next one already, gettin Broadband installed there shortly :)

But seriously, I had a 2 Bed Apartment in Auchenflower which is a fairly decent location and I paid a bit under $300 a week, and that was decent enough, had a good sized balcony and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

am_sunny wrote: »
    Arriving in Oz in January.
    Still trying to decide where to settle. :confused:
    Sydney or Melbourne????

Go for Melbourne. Much better city then Sydney IMO. Has a European feeling to it IMO. Its a lot more layed back compared 2 Sydney. Accommation isn't as expensive as Sydney ither. Have u been to both cites before or will it be your first time?

Come to Brisbane

<creepy music>We All Float Down Here</Music>

Well we do this week anyway:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Hey Mandrake,

I noticed that. Particularly in Sydney. I agree that they tell bare-faced lies. They are unbelievably unhelpful, generally obnoxious and rude. It defies belief how anal some people can be and how bad at their job many of them seem to get away with.

The high cost of renting in Sydney is crippling and apparrently, it's quite common for the above "agents" to increase the rent shortly after you have moved in.

I've been trying, without any success, to arrange inspections for when we arrive (mid-Jan), however not one agent has the courtesy to reply. They refuse to offer details of any property, including preferred lease period. We are looking for somewhere to stay for a few weeks when we arrive (i.e. a short-term lease), until we find a property that we can afford etc., however I'm having no success. The high cost of staying in a hotel for a few weeks is simply prohibitive.

In fairness, if you think Estate Agents are bad at their job, you should take a look at Recruitment Agents. They are incapable of intellect.

That's because Sydney is in the grip of a monstrous housing bubble. The single biggest issue facing migrants to Australia is sky high cost of housing. Dwelling values are ridiculous and rents only a little better, and this is exacerbated by the strong Aussie dollar and weak Euro making prices seem even crazier (not only housing but also everything else, services, drink, food etc).

Unlike Ireland where the housing ponzi scheme collapsed, Aussie houses here getting more expensive.

This article discusses the problem in plenty of detail --> Oz property bubble

The tight rental vacancy rates in Sydney are caused by speculative hoarding of empty dwellings by "investors" hoping for even more capital gain!

kdevitt wrote: »
    A lot of the places are open inspections, so you turn up with the crowd. January is apparently a really bad time to be trying to get accomodation as no one moves then.

I had to fork out $1700 a week for a hotel for a while which was rather expensive, rent on my house is now $825 a week which is more bearable - still silly money though.

I'm near Neutral Bay myself - in Cremorne - at the moment, and there are plenty of apartments for lease (I needed pet friendly which made it hassle). Its a nice spot - great not to be surrounded by paddy's too.

Check out stayz.com.au for places - heres an apartment in Neutral Bay which is rented for a minimum of 1 week

http://www.stayz.com.au/40104?checkin=15/01/2011&numNights=14

Thanks for that. I've checked out that apartment and sent an email via the stayz.com.au website. If you had an other similar leads, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ideally, we want to stay around Cremorne, Mosman, Neutral Bay etc. $850 a week is fine. Hotels, similar to your experience, are simply out of our reach.

Thanks again.

TKline wrote: »
    That's because Sydney is in the grip of a monstrous housing bubble. The single biggest issue facing migrants to Australia is sky high cost of housing. Dwelling values are ridiculous and rents only a little better, and this is exacerbated by the strong Aussie dollar and weak Euro making prices seem even crazier (not only housing but also everything else, services, drink, food etc).

Unlike Ireland where the housing ponzi scheme collapsed, Aussie houses here getting more expensive.

This article discusses the problem in plenty of detail --> Oz property bubble

The tight rental vacancy rates in Sydney are caused by speculative hoarding of empty dwellings by "investors" hoping for even more capital gain!

Yep, it's crazy how expensive Sydney has become.

Re: the housing bubble - Nobody in Ireland ever believed it would collapse. However, it did. It will happen in Sydney as well. Such massive increases in the value of property and the cost of living isn't sustainable.

Prepare yourself and thread carefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yep, it's crazy how expensive Sydney has become.

Re: the housing bubble - Nobody in Ireland ever believed it would collapse. However, it did. It will happen in Sydney as well. Such massive increases in the value of property and the cost of living isn't sustainable.

Prepare yourself and thread carefully!

I think sydney has become expensive more through the exchange rate than anything else, if coming from Ireland it is now .71E = $1 2years ago it was $1 = .52E.

There is a renting shortage at the moment and around beach areas the prices are shocking, but food and drink prices are still around the same (in my opinion)

Advertisement