Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, prices in shops/eating out haven't increased since i got here.

People are just unable to compare accross currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yay...Scored me self a new job today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Go for Melbourne. Much better city then Sydney IMO. Has a European feeling to it IMO. Its a lot more layed back compared 2 Sydney. Accommation isn't as expensive as Sydney ither. Have u been to both cites before or will it be your first time?

First time for me!
    Heading to Sydney for and few weeks first and might do Melbourne then and see which one takes my fancy! Alot of people telling me go to Melbourne though.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

am_sunny wrote: »
    First time for me!
    Heading to Sydney for and few weeks first and might do Melbourne then and see which one takes my fancy! Alot of people telling me go to Melbourne though.

You'll know yourself after you've been to both cities which you prefer. Everyone has different views. You'll prefer one over the other. Have u accommodation booked etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Is it just me or are people noticing a lot of people coming on and almost expecting someone else to organise a new life for them in Oz?? Now I know that tips are always useful (eg what's the best airline to fly with) but questions like "What's the cheapest airline to fly with?" annoy me. I mean, look it up yourself! Different prices for different times of year for different airlines, flying into different cities!

The visa one is another one that gets me? "How do I get my trade recognised?". Maybe Google "getting a trade recognised in Australia" is a good start?!

Am I just getting short tempered in my old age, or is it reflective of people getting lazy?

/Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes your right we are considering a FAQ. I have been trying to estabilish one but it gets rather big when I draft it. As the AUS/NZ forum we tend to handle the same sort of stuf a lot and the questions that come with it.

For every topic we have to veins NZ and OZ

Questions on WHV's

Questions on Migrating

These are vast everything from certifying docs to Visa requirements

But in the end most questions should be directed at the DIAC website for Oz anyway as things change.

Questions on Jobs

Hard to FAQ as this also change

We will see how it pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    You'll know yourself after you've been to both cities which you prefer. Everyone has different views. You'll prefer one over the other. Have u accommodation booked etc?
    No we're travelling the east coast for the first month before we get to Sydney. Think we'll stay n a hostel for the first week there see if anyone else is looking to rent. been looking at places to rent but man are they expensive so i'd say we'll have to house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I hope you guys up in Queensland arent affected by these floods :(
    Unbelieveable. And there's bush fires all over the shop over here. This country's mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Urgh - things getting complicated and expensive with my passport.

I need a new Irish passport - it expires in October. I'll need to get this through the Irish consulate in Auckland and they send it back to Dublin so it takes ages. I also need to renew my returning residents visa. It expires in March. Once I do that I'll have a permanent returning residents visa. So I have to pay $200 for a new returning residents visa, then about $160 for a new passport I (at least I hope it's dollars and not euro) and then pay immigration New Zealand $90 to transfer the returning residents visa and my residency permit in to my new passport. $90!
    Shower of bastards. That price is ridiculous.

I am going avoid the hassle you are having by getting my citizenship in Oz next week, permanent residency only lasts 5 years and then you have to pay $260 for for a RRV.

Citizenship lasts a life time for $260.. and the Aussie passport is dead handy for coming back through immigration. I also have my Irish/Brit passport staggered at 5 years apart so at least one Euro passport should be valid going back the other way.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I am going avoid the hassle you are having by getting my citizenship in Oz next week, permanent residency only lasts 5 years and then you have to pay $260 for for a RRV.

Citizenship lasts a life time for $260.. and the Aussie passport is dead handy for coming back through immigration. I also have my Irish/Brit passport staggered at 5 years apart so at least one Euro passport should be valid going back the other way.

Smart Thinking! I have a passport from another country too which is up for renewal next month as well. I might find out how long you can let it expire and still get a new one. It's a handy pasport to have (it's an American one) so I don't want to lose it completely even though I never use it

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

hey watna, just applying for my first work permit tomorrow here in nz, just wondering what your processing time was like? I applying in hamiltom, website says 30 days, hope its quicker than that!

Claasman wrote: »
    hey watna, just applying for my first work permit tomorrow here in nz, just wondering what your processing time was like? I applying in hamiltom, website says 30 days, hope its quicker than that!

I don't have a work visa - I have permanent residency which took 6 months. I did apply for a work visa while the residency application was in process as I thought my WHV would expire before my residency came through. They both came through on the same day in the end so immigration New Zealand refunded me the work visa fee. I think it did take about 5 - 6 weeks for the work visa to come through. The times on the website seem to be fairly accurate. Good luck!

watna wrote: »
    Smart Thinking! I have a passport from another country too which is up for renewal next month as well. I might find out how long you can let it expire and still get a new one. It's a handy pasport to have (it's an American one) so I don't want to lose it completely even though I never use it

Yank one is gold, I know a guy from Tyrone has Irish, Brit, Aus & Yank.

Yank one is gold, I know a guy from Tyrone has Irish, Brit, Aus & Yank.

Can you really have that many?

I could get a British one if I wanted and in a few years a NZ one. I thought I could only have two nationalities.

Very interesting /strokes chin

watna wrote: »
    Can you really have that many?

I could get a British one if I wanted and in a few years a NZ one. I thought I could only have two nationalities.

Very interesting /strokes chin

some countries only allow 1 and some allow 2.

Think all the good ones allow as many as you want http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696630

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

This humdity is killing me. Why did I move to QLD!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jonnieb

Hi guys and gals,

Just got my NZ EOI accepted for a skilled migrant visa from the pool and it'll be checked and an offer to apply for residency will be sent in due course. How much of a time limit is on the application to return it to them??
    I am in New Zealand at the moment and working too, I just need to get two qualifications recognised over here so I can send off the NZQA assesments with my application. The thing is that these qualifications by the NZQA will take a bit of time cause its a lenghtly process as my qualifications are as an electrician and an electrical services engineer. I have not yet got my provisional license with the ERWB and I have a NZQA pre assessment done for the engineering which is an equivilant to a level 7 over here.
    Anyone ever do the same in NZ or Oz, apply for the SMV before they had their qualifications fully recognised and if so, how did it work out for you??
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

jonnieb wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

Just got my NZ EOI accepted for a skilled migrant visa from the pool and it'll be checked and an offer to apply for residency will be sent in due course. How much of a time limit is on the application to return it to them??
    I am in New Zealand at the moment and working too, I just need to get two qualifications recognised over here so I can send off the NZQA assesments with my application. The thing is that these qualifications by the NZQA will take a bit of time cause its a lenghtly process as my qualifications are as an electrician and an electrical services engineer. I have not yet got my provisional license with the ERWB and I have a NZQA pre assessment done for the engineering which is an equivilant to a level 7 over here.
    Anyone ever do the same in NZ or Oz, apply for the SMV before they had their qualifications fully recognised and if so, how did it work out for you??
    Thanks

I had a NZQA assesment done. Just make sure you read the documents and their website on how to proceed with it in manner that is right. Be patient, very patient.

Keep the lines of communication open at all times. If they tell you something that is not right, call them up on it.

Thats it I am officially in the home-in-a-box club.

• Advertisement

You an oz citizen yet?

Zambia wrote: »
    You an oz citizen yet?

Yip... got the other half of my brain removed yesterday afternoon.

Today is my first day as a Citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Congratulations! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

good for you! well done.

Ok the ads at the bottom of the screen are sh1thouse.

Is anyone else but Cabansail and I getting silly fully animated with sounds ads at present?

They are Australian ads.

Yeah started doing the other day, gets annoying and double annoying if you got 2 windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Stupid ads for vanish. Quite scary when it suddenly started blasting out in work!

Are any boardsies in Queensland? is everybody ok?

Yes - I get loud ads occasionally, NZ ones. It's weird when you're reading some of the threads in AH that sound really Irish and then some kiwi pops up! I haven't had one for ages though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Poor Queensland. Always getting the worst of it.

• Advertisement

Well the folks are coming over in two months first visit.

The question is do I move Harry out of their room before they arrive?

IMGP0904.JPG

Poor lad already lost a leg.

Advertisement