Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Thats fantastic news mellor!

The sponsorship thing is good too

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Congrats on the split face dude.
    You worked hard for it, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I love the waterfront on a sunny day. Spent the afternoon there drinking beers outside one of the bars. Amazing weather.

Now all I need is for someone to give me a job!

Nah, you don't want one of those - I had to go to work today and have a crazy stressful day while it was beautiful outside again!

What kind of work are you looking for?
    Mellor wrote: »
    sorry for the delay, i wasn't online at the week as I was drinking all weekend to celebrate the boss saying he'll sponsor me :D:D:D:D

In bad news, was messing with one of the lads sunday morning and he pushed me off a stool, I fell and split my face open, had to get stitches

Yay! not about the stitches but the sponsorship is great news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

watna wrote: »
    Nah, you don't want one of those - I had to go to work today and have a crazy stressful day while it was beautiful outside again!

What kind of work are you looking for?

Looking for accounting work. I actually had an interview last wk but haven't heard back. Ha I'm sure once I'm working I'll be wishing I had time off again but right now I'm getting a bit bored. Looking forward to earning money again & meeting people (dreading early mornings though!). At a bit of a loose end at the moment doing very little & trying not to spend too much!

Well, if I hear of any accounting work I'll let you know!

Anyone hear the latest from Christchurch? Another earthquake, 7.1. Apparently the cathedral and a number of buildings have come down. Really scary stuff. people at work walking around in shock and trying to contact friends and family in Christchurch. I really hope everyone is ok. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yaaay Mellor

Welcomt to the 'I fell over and split my Face Messin' Club

I have quite a Scar meself from a Similar incident :o

Also Comiserations on your havin to Stay in Australia Now.

I'm only just after gettin power back on from lastnights storm

Lightnin Stick the Power pole opposite the House Twice, Was so Feckin Cool, Heard the first bang everything went dark then We stuck the head out to see what had haoppened an I saw the Streak of lightning hit the Pole and a second massive explosion sparks and smoke where there had been a tranfromer box

Well, if I hear of any accounting work I'll let you know!

Anyone hear the latest from Christchurch? Another earthquake, 7.1. Apparently the cathedral and a number of buildings have come down. Really scary stuff. people at work walking around in shock and trying to contact friends and family in Christchurch. I really hope everyone is ok. :(

Ah thanks!

Scary stuff. We had planned on settling in Christchurch and changed our minds at the last minute & came to Wellington instead. Glad we made that decision right now. Looks like a war zone down there, the poor residents :(

Ah thanks!

Scary stuff. We had planned on settling in Christchurch and changed our minds at the last minute & came to Wellington instead. Glad we made that decision right now. Looks like a war zone down there, the poor residents :(

That's just luck really. Wellington has been overdue for a big one for 100 years. That could easily have been us and that's what has me so shaken up. I've been to Chch a few times and seeing places you've been and are so recognisable coming down like that is really shocking.

Do you have your own flat yet? If so, make sure you get yourself an earthquake kit ASAP. Civil defence have good lists online of what to get. You can but them but we just made our own and put lots of extra things in it.

That's just luck really. Wellington has been overdue for a big one for 100 years. That could easily have been us and that's what has me so shaken up. I've been to Chch a few times and seeing places you've been and are so recognisable coming down like that is really shocking.
    Do you have your own flat yet? If so, make sure you get yourself an earthquake kit ASAP. Civil defence have good lists online of what to get. You can but them but we just made our own and put lots of extra things in it.

Definitely, I was there in Dec & again in Jan and it's horrible seeing the pictures on the news, very upsetting.

Yeah we have a flat and keep meaning to stock up on water etc. but keep forgetting. This is definitely a wake up call to get that sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yaaay Mellor

Welcomt to the 'I fell over and split my Face Messin' Club

I have quite a Scar meself from a Similar incident :o

Chicks dig scars, right.

I ahve an almost invisible scar in a similar spot to this latest cut. i really hope this new one doesn't leave a big scar. It's hard to tell at the moment as its still all hidden by clotted blood and scab etc

• Advertisement

big Scars arew kinda Cool, Mine is fairly noticeable across my Lip.

Course I got that in a Bare Knuckle Boxing Fight;)

the scar won't bother me, its more that I just want it to hear cleany.
    No chuck missing, nothing crooked etc

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Our thoughts are with the people of Christchurch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 intrigued12

Awful tragedy that earthquake in NZ. I had been thinking of moving to New Zealand on a work visa, and without trying to be insensitive, this earthquake will surely mean a rake load of construction work/ labouring work available. Does anyone know what kind of rates do labourers get over there? Was there much construction work before this happened? (not skilled, have a business degree, cant get much work here, big and strong etc.) Cheers

Mod This is a very insensitive post, this user has been dealt with, but want to keep this open, as want to demonstrate just how low this is.

Awful tragedy that earthquake in NZ. I had been thinking of moving to New Zealand on a work visa, and without trying to be insensitive, this earthquake will surely mean a rake load of construction work/ labouring work available. Does anyone know what kind of rates do labourers get over there? Was there much construction work before this happened? (not skilled, have a business degree, cant get much work here, big and strong etc.) Cheers

Nah you dont have a chance, tbh.
    Your business degree will not get you labouring job, you need to be experienced as a labourer. You may be big and strong but I dare say you probably arent as big and strong as the maoris looking for labouring work with years of experience behind them.

I only hope and pray you are trolling. There are people trapped in buildings fighting for their lives and you are thinking of yourself and if you can get work? That's disgraceful. Do not post in this thread again. (This post was reported by other users too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I was only reading in the paper last week in NZ Watna that they were expecting an influx of people to ChCh to help rebuild, so there would be plenty of work going.

However, that was before the tragedy of yesterday. I feel sick looking at the footage on tv knowing I more than likely interacted with some people in the city centre last week who are now dead..... :(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Waaaay too early to be talking about this but I will say one thing. This earthquake will seriously damage the whole of the NZ economy. Anyone who thinks that the NZ government can raise 20billion to rebuild the place over night is seriously delueded. NZ is nowhere as wealthy as Australia. This will be a long and slow, painful rebuild.

Terrible tragedy. I only found out the extent of it last night when i got home. Christ :(

What's the story with paying for stuff in hospitals/medical centres/GPs here in Oz.

Basically i've to get my stitches out, it was something like $70 in the medical centre getting them in. If i can get them out for free I'd be a bit happier.

$140 for 5 mins twice is a bit steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have you got a Medicare card?

Go to public hospital and you should get it free I think.
    Cant be positive though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Go to public hospital and you should get it free I think.
    Cant be positive though

Nah not free for that, only public in-patient or outpatient ... doesn't cover it I am afraid

unless you have health insurance - you have to suck it up :(

Oh well.
    You could always tell your employer that when good news is recieved in your home country that its tradition to make a blood sacrifice to St Patrick and given that the Sponsership was the good news he should foot the Medical bill.

Worth a shot.

Yeah thought so.
    No medicare and no insurance. I don't get sick me ;)
    These stitches should cover another few years of accident & sickness freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

What a week. Time to reflect. My nerves are shot and i don't even live in Christchurch.

I'm overdosing on the constant news feed thats on the Internet and everywhere online, I think I need to avoid stories like this for a while. When I'm in work all i'm seeing is preparation for earthquake related stuff and hear about our Intensive Care Unit filling up with patients with crush injuries. I can't imagine what so many people down there are going through the last few days but I have no way of helping them apart from sending some money which i've done.

Its so frustrating the way New Zealand is divided into two islands. Otherwise it would be so simple to drive down and help in some way. Anyways fair play to everyone thats trying to get on with things down there and be aware that we're all thinking of you and wishing you well!

Wellington has dodged two bullets now...

Must build cook strait-tunnel

/end rant

pclancy - I'm with you. I'm in Wellington but my nerves are also shot. Work is all about the earthquake at the moment and everyone is very tense and sombre. Even though is hasn't directly affected me it has affected my in a very real way. Everybody is on edge. We've been hanging out with our friends a lot over the last four days. Everyone just wants to be together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

We still don't even have portaloos. We don't *think* the Grand Chancellor has fallen/come down yet, we haven't heard of any particularly alarming news over the last few hours. So little information, it's almost less real, I think, but you can really see some people's nerves freying. I didn't sleep last night barely, was like an antichrist, and there were a few moments where a few people had to just stop and breathe and chill out. Today I feel just drained. Saw my reflection today for the first time in a while and I'm just so white, probably half shock and half just dust and stuff. It's all quite surreal here.

OK ITs Official

I'm going Home

Do not Pass go Do Not collect $200

Pinned my colours to the Wrong MAst :(

I Signed up to do this Job, a Job I have grown to hate, on the one promise that at the end I would have done my time and Qualified for Citizenship, It now Appears that my Employer never really had any intention of doing it, maybe not right from the Start, but somewhere around year 3 he Realised that once I COULD Leave I WOULD Leave, So he Fudged his end of the deal, and Bull**** to me, I Prostituted my Soul and did Things to people that Still make me :eek: all based on this empty Lie

I am SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF :mad:
    Anyone want to buy a BMW??????????

• Advertisement

:eek: Holy ****! Sorry to hear that Mahatma. What an Asshole! :mad:

Advertisement