Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Have just had our band booked for a fundraising gig for Christchurch at Trentham racecourse on the 18th! Will post more details when I have them.

Crumble I think you'd be mad not take a free trip home to chill for a while, you can see the bands some other time, you need a break dude! Your post reminds me that life is still really hard down there so you just got to get out for a while!

I work in the hospital and its just been a constant barrage of earthquake related work and reading so many stories of grief from down there. Have seen the extent of some of the crush injuries and hearing about the babies that died. Everyone up here has been glum and emotional and certainly I feel like we've really dodged a bullet that should have been for Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Oh cool, what kinda music does your band play? Sounds good... was about to say I could go on the 18th, be doing a trip to the north island soon, once I've somewhere to live, but nope. Paddy's day. That one's important to spend with good mates if you have to spend it away from home.

I really don't know what I want to do about that trip. There's push and pull factors on both sides, and pros and cons, and mood here is still so all over the place (honestly, it's really only in the last month or so that I've gotten my head together after all the drama after the last earthquake), so I'm really not sure. Have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is just find somewhere to live for now, and when I've had some time to myself, in my own space (which is becoming a massive issue right now, am currently sharing a room and a bed with my mate at his parents' house, with his sister and nephew who've had to move out since the quake too. Feels very cramped and it's not exactly very central, so I'm fairly stuck out here too, just putting all my energy into finding somewhere to live now.

But Steve Ignorant of Crass is coming to New Zealand, playing Crass songs for the last tmie, and I can't begin to tell you just how rare it is to have someone you respect so much actually come do gigs in the country, but at a time when I can actually just up and leave and follow the gigs around, I don't see why not. Two weeks in Ireland, too, back to that living with the family, trying to catch up with friends and trying to have a relaxing holiday too, while dealing with jetlag? It's too much time and not enough time, and I've zero finances behind me right now (particularly once I manage to get enough together for a bond), so I'm not so sure now that it's the great idea I thought it was before.

It's the 'dodged the bullet' thing that gets me most, really. Was kinda funny while we had our tent village out the back garden, taking in the news of the quake, hearing about the extent of the damage and the loss of lives and saying ****, everyone said that we were lucky the September 7.1 was at night, otherwise people would have died.... now here we are, in the middle of the day, another one.....sitting out in the tents, glad that at least it didn't happen in winter....

But it could. It really could and there's nothing anyone of us can really do about it, or prepare for it... I duno, terrifies me in a way that after all the effort you go into building everything up, making the life you have around you as best it can be for you and those you love and you can spend and scrimp and save and everything you have, everything you've ever worked for or loved could just suddenly be *gone*. On a massive scale.

It's upsetting, and unsettling, but at times, honestly, just the most liberating feeling. Brings back the whole "life's short" kinda frame of mind.

Then, just thinking of doctors and hospitals, saw mine for the first time since the quake, one of her co-workers and a doctor I've seen a fair few times got killed in it. He worked for the free 198 Youth Health Clinic, which after massive rallies and publicity almost this time last year, got cut funding (fcuking National :mad: ), then they managed to get some space in The Clinic on Gloucester St, which got munted in the Boxing Day aftershock, and so he was killed in the new building he was in, as was another doctor I didn't know. :(

It's all so fcuked up, everywhere is the hope and destruction, feeling so upset about having to move house again and the homeless interim when two weeks ago, I was just happy that I was alive and my friends were okay. The dust, the portaloos, the drains, the smells, people's faces, the kids who've no schools, the ones whose friends have all left town, communities coming closer together, authorities organising and providing well in some ways and completely screwing up in others, the sense of gratitude and the sense that you've been completely screwed over always so close and everyone, just everyone's emotions so much closer to the surface.

*sigh*

Sorry, long blabby post that probably doesn't make much sense... think I just needed to get it out a bit... it's difficult to explain how difficult it is to come to terms with just the amount of change this will mean and how it will or can happen. Knowing it will never be the same, but not knowing what it is that will change, or how... just... a lot of aspects to get our heads around.

Man, I love Christchurch.

Watching the news tonight, and not only got to see our mayor do a full demonstration as to how to work a portaloo, just cracked up, then on Close Up, got to see a guy who managed to get two cars trapped in massive cracks/holes/chunks of missing road.... and his reaction to police. :D

I really really do love christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Man, I love Christchurch.

Watching the news tonight, and not only got to see our mayor do a full demonstration as to how to work a portaloo, just cracked up, then on Close Up, got to see a guy who managed to get two cars trapped in massive cracks/holes/chunks of missing road.... and his reaction to police. :D

I really really do love christchurch.

Bob Parker's brilliant! He's always on the news, doing press conferences & giving updates & staying upbeat through it all. He must be exhausted but hasn't shown any signs of strain at all.

He was wearing a t-shirt the other day saying "it's munted"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I saw the Bob Parker toilet demonstration too. It was very funny. It was nice to have a laugh about it all!

Got my permanent resident stamp today. I got my resident permit and returning resident's visa 2 years ago so my returning resident's visa had expired. For $160 and 1 hour of my time I got a permanent resident's visa which is valid forever and has no travel restrictrions. So basically, they can never get rid of me and I have the right to live and work in NZ for life, even if I go back to Ireland or somewhere else and live there for a bit. It's pretty sweet!

• Advertisement

and his reaction to police. :D

He was classic! Gets one car stuck on the closed road then goes to get his ute and gets that stuck too. Realises he has no shoes on as he's talking to the cop and then just runs off into the darkness WTF? :D:D

That's the good about the place and the people, they can still find a smile or come out with some crazy quirk to remind you you're in New Zealand :)

Congrats Watna! How long do you have to live here before you can get permanent residency?

Congrats Watna! How long do you have to live here before you can get permanent residency?

You have to have had a residents visa for two years and have reached one criteria out of a list of about 6. One of the criteria is being tax resident in NZ (as defined by IRD) another is you have to have been in NZ 184 days out of each of the last two years. I got my residence on the 5th March 2009 (it took exactly 6 months from the day I applied to the day I got my residence) and have been living in NZ since so I easily passed the criteria of being in NZ for 184 days of the year for two years). Immigration NZ had a record in their system of when I had left an entered NZ (presumably immigration at the airport provide this) so they knew I'd been here all that time.

It took about 10 minutes and they printed the stickers on the spot and put them in my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

watna wrote: »
    Got my permanent resident stamp today. I got my resident permit and returning resident's visa 2 years ago so my returning resident's visa had expired. For $160 and 1 hour of my time I got a permanent resident's visa which is valid forever and has no travel restrictrions. So basically, they can never get rid of me and I have the right to live and work in NZ for life, even if I go back to Ireland or somewhere else and live there for a bit. It's pretty sweet!

Thats fantastic, welcome to being a fully fledged kiwi!
    Just promise you wont do what so many others do...
    Get the visa/citizenship and F off to Australia! (The ozzies really hate that!)

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thats fantastic, welcome to being a fully fledged kiwi!
    Just promise you wont do what so many others do...
    Get the visa/citizenship and F off to Australia! (The ozzies really hate that!)

Nah, I've no interest in going to Aus. I would still need to get a visa anyway - although I could get one easily enough if I wanted as my finace is a kiwi and I could get a partnership visa in Aus too.

I can claim NZ citizenship in three years but don't think I'll be doing that either. I'm happy just being a permanent resident!

• Advertisement

Not so keen on the oath of allegiance to the queen? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Fact of life is the oath in NZ citizenship?

Zambia wrote: »
    Fact of life is the oath in NZ citizenship?

Yes, it is. My OH became a kiwi and had to declare an oath to the queen. I work for a government department so my employment contract is between me and the Queen. Was very funny when I first saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Aus citizenship is an oath or affirmation to the Australia, no mention of the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Not so keen on the oath of allegiance to the queen? :pac:

Watna is quite keen on a single Ireland and even the thought of swearing allegence to the queen makes he spit on the ground and curse in Irish.

Yeah not for me, work for the state so I have to.

Watna is quite keen on a single Ireland and even the thought of swearing allegence to the queen makes he spit on the ground and curse in Irish.

:confused::eek:

Yes - this is me to a tee

/sarcasm

He?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

He?

Bit of a joke?
    Some light Friday evening humor?
    I dont know Watna, I doubt very much she does actually do what I said but I thought I might post it as a bit of a joke.

Bit of a joke?
    Some light Friday evening humor?
    I dont know Watna, I doubt very much she does actually do what I said but I thought I might post it as a bit of a joke.

Ah, I see :D I thought maybe you thought you had seen me say that somewhere or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the oath to the queen isn't a big deal really,
    like she'll be dead soon, get out of jail free card
    and they'd hardly make you swear another one to King Charlie

Sworn to the sovereign so that matters not

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

watna wrote: »
    Nah, I've no interest in going to Aus. I would still need to get a visa anyway - although I could get one easily enough if I wanted as my finace is a kiwi and I could get a partnership visa in Aus too.

I can claim NZ citizenship in three years but don't think I'll be doing that either. I'm happy just being a permanent resident!

Permanent resident status is as good!
    My father has had it for about 35years now! He did look at getting citizenship but there were a few draw backs! One being the Oath tho he always claimed it was having to spend money to buy citizenship!

It also means he cant be called for Jury Duty but can still vote (I think) in the Elections there, since he is disimpowered by not being able to postal vote in Ireland!

Only draw back is when he wants to travel overseas every 10years or so... The process of getting another irish passport etc!

Its a bit mad really, You have to sign the Oath me, a kiwi, didnt! No allegence there so! :D;)

Im sure one day the NZ republicean movement will start making enough noise to get things changed!

Have to wait till all the soldiers who fought for England/the queen/whoever they were officially doing it for are dead before there's any chance of a republic in NZ or Australia.

I won't swear the oath anyway. As well as just a bit of a strong irish nationalist (but pacifist), and someone who just hates the concept of monarchy (honestly, predestined fate, purely cos of your parents - even down to whichever prince joined the army and wasn't allowed fight on the front line, because of his bloodline) - it just seems to go against equality on too many levels for me.

Meanwhile though... ****... poor japan. I've only caught about 2mins of news footage (i just can't watch more than that, it was awful) and i can't really stop crying now. Poor poor ****ers, anyone know a way i can donate money without having a visa/debit card? (ie, probably bank transfer to kiwi organisation or something,) the red cross nz dont seem to have any links i can find just yet.

I got a job :D:D

Pay is shocking bad:eek: Though I knew I'd be earning a lot less when I came over here & at least it's a job!

Congrats, any jobs good in these times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sworn to the sovereign so that matters not

[ ] was a serious post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Mellor wrote: »
    [ ] was a serious post

Sup homie,

Can you or anyone here shed some light on the tax issue with regards to claiming it back for me? I know about Super and will claim that for sure but there are some conflicting reports regarding claiming tax back from working in Oz.

I know Ill be using the services etc etc but if the provision is there to claim it back wholly or partially Ill be taking it.

Can anyone shed some light?

I got a job :D:D

Pay is shocking bad:eek: Though I knew I'd be earning a lot less when I came over here & at least it's a job!

Well done! Everyone says that when they get their first job in NZ. The wages really are shocking. It's only up from here though! I'm here three years now and have just got back up to the same pay I was on when I left Dublin (once you convert it)

• Advertisement

Ha, I've long since come to terms I'll never earn the money I was earning before I came here, but maybe, in 6 years, when I have a qualification beside my name, I can start thinking about getting close to it.

Advertisement