Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If anyone is wondering where the useful links went it now linked off the FAQ. This was due to a request from the admins to make the site a bit more mobile friendly.

In other news I found a wolf spider in my boot the other day. Luckily it crawled out before I put it on as I had no intention that day of checking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Zambia you have just recounted a nightmare scenario for me there. Lived there for a year and a bit around 2002 and though I did not see tons of spiders, the ones I did see were terrifying. had a big huntsman in the car and nearly died of fright. My fear of spiders is not something I am looking forward to facing again when I go back:(

No worries glad I could help. Never be afraid when you see a spider, because its the one you don't see that gets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

population wrote: »
    Zambia you have just recounted a nightmare scenario for me there. Lived there for a year and a bit around 2002 and though I did not see tons of spiders, the ones I did see were terrifying. had a big huntsman in the car and nearly died of fright. My fear of spiders is not something I am looking forward to facing again when I go back:(

Ya mean like this 6034073

Harmless.

Not many spiders about Canberra atm, I'm doing bit of work down here for a few days and it was -4C last night. I honestly thought it was about to snow.

It is cold at the moment....no denying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Sweet jebus!!

Never been scared of spiders before.....but goddam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Ya mean like this 6034073

That sticker on the car should have said to watch for more than Motorcyclists!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Got a phonecall from immigration regarding my 457 application.
    Basically why didn't i respond to the email they sent me as today was the final day and I've had 28 days notice (right about now I shat myself). i told them i never got the email, turns out they sent to the wrong. Or rather, i made a typo in my email address (not 100% sure i did)
    They were god sports and gave me another 7 days.

Here's the query, any help, pointers or advice would be great
    Departmental records indicate that at time of application lodgement, you hold a
    Bridging Visa E which, for the purposes of this application, is NOT considered
    to be a substantive visa. Your last substantive visa was a Temporary-Working
    Holiday which expired on 12/03/2011.

Schedule 3 Criteria:
    Please provide a letter & evidence of factors beyond your control and
    compelling reasons to grant the visa
    Please provide evidence that you are not the holder of a substantive visa (ie
    BVE) because of factors beyond your control and that there are compelling
    reasons for granting the visa.
    Compelling reasons may stem from compassionate factors, or may arise, for
    example, from your circumstances or the circumstances of another person.
    If a serious accident or illness had rendered you incapable of making an
    application for example, you should provide evidence such as medical records of
    that accident or illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

are they just asking why you were late? I don't understand that

Pretty much, I just told them the truth,
    I made a mistake, the whole beyond my control thing is worrying. If it was my fault it wasn't beyond my control, but hopefully they see that it was a genuine mistake, only 5 or 6 days
    A bit of compassion and I'l be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Hey all,

Having a hard time finding second year Visa work at the mo. I'm in Broome now, looking like I'll be up to Darwin next.

Anyone working in Broome/Darwin able to help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Nice one!! was in Broome working last May, its a great spot a this time of the year.

Anther day, another problem,
    I got two parcels sent over from home, just some birthday presents from family
    One was a jackey and a jumper, it arrived last week, the other was a hoodie and a bottle aftershave, never came.
    i thought it was jsut delayed, but its now a week since the first arrived. They were sent together.

Any idea what the issue might of been. Aftershave? If customs took it in to inspect, what sort of delay could I expect. Or will I ever get it

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Mellor wrote: »
    Anther day, another problem,
    I got two parcels sent over from home, just some birthday presents from family
    One was a jackey and a jumper, it arrived last week, the other was a hoodie and a bottle aftershave, never came.
    i thought it was jsut delayed, but its now a week since the first arrived. They were sent together.

Any idea what the issue might of been. Aftershave? If customs took it in to inspect, what sort of delay could I expect. Or will I ever get it

I posted two packages together the other day from Limerick to Wangas. 1st one weighed 1.75kg, in an brown padded envelove sized somewhere between an A4 & A5 envelope, took exactly a week (which by usuall standards was way fast!) The second weighed less than 1kg, it was in a large (A3 size) white airpost plastic envelope, it took nearly four weeks to get there! :rolleyes: Go fig!!!

I usually find two weeks is the average for something leaving NZ getting to Ireland, and three weeks for something leaving Ireland to get to NZ! :rolleyes:

Sent an other small envelope, weighing less than a Kg, One and a half weeks ago, still waiting for it to get there!

As for the longest parcel delivery time.....
    I have a collegue from South Africa. her family sent a parcel which was tracked leaving SA, tracked arriving in the UK, tracked leaving the UK......
    Took 11 months to get to Cork!!!!! NO KIDDING!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

kiwipower wrote: »
    As for the longest parcel delivery time.....
    I have a collegue from South Africa. her family sent a parcel which was tracked leaving SA, tracked arriving in the UK, tracked leaving the UK......
    Took 11 months to get to Cork!!!!! NO KIDDING!! :confused:

They were lucky it left SA at all, from what I've heard. My OH's family all live in SA and they can't send or receive parcels because everything gets opened and robbed in the SA sorting office :eek: They told us not to send them anything ever because some thief would end up getting it.

One of the many times I realised how very very different SA is to Ireland or NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I dont think you will find many people who think SA isnt a dump.

On another note, thanks to all the lads back home who are making trouble during the Queens visit. Youre the real heros today and your couragous actions are not going unnoticed.

On another note, thanks to all the lads back home who are making trouble during the Queens visit. Youre the real heros today and your couragous actions are not going unnoticed.

I really really hope this was intended to be sarcastic

I dont think you will find many people who think SA isnt a dump.
    there's nothing wrong with South australia :D:D:D:D

watna wrote: »
    They were lucky it left SA at all, from what I've heard. My OH's family all live in SA and they can't send or receive parcels because everything gets opened and robbed in the SA sorting office :eek: They told us not to send them anything ever because some thief would end up getting it.

One of the many times I realised how very very different SA is to Ireland or NZ.

Yeah thats what my collegue said. Its why they sent the parcel with track and trace. They couldnt decide if the biggest mistery was the parcel getting out of SA or the fact it took 11 months to get from the UK to Cork!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

So How is everyone getting on in Oz? I'm thinking of heading to Melbourne soon, then get a bus to some town an hour or so away to do farm work for 3 months to get the 2nd WHV.

My hope is to find sponsorship with a company, I have a chemistry degree with 2 years industry experience, have I got a chance?

-So is everyone happy in Oz?
    -have many of you succeeded in getting sponsorship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

So How is everyone getting on in Oz? I'm thinking of heading to Melbourne soon, then get a bus to some town an hour or so away to do farm work for 3 months to get the 2nd WHV.

My hope is to find sponsorship with a company, I have a chemistry degree with 2 years industry experience, have I got a chance?

-So is everyone happy in Oz?
    -have many of you succeeded in getting sponsorship?

Ah your bang on the money there mate-hurry up and book the flight the crackiswhack here.

Seconded you are being sarcastic right ?

Pretty much, I just told them the truth,
    I made a mistake, the whole beyond my control thing is worrying. If it was my fault it wasn't beyond my control, but hopefully they see that it was a genuine mistake, only 5 or 6 days
    A bit of compassion and I'l be sorted
    Ugh, Got a phone call from immigration yesterday at 3.45,
    told me that because it was my fault I was late its won't qualify for Schedule 3. She understands that it was a genuine mistake and that I confused the fact that I my visa was issue on the 23rd etc, and wasn't coming from a WHV. But it was still my ignorance and the rules don't allow her to grant a 457.

But, she had a sugestion for me, get a letter from my company detailing my role in current projects and how I am needed, how replacing me would be a lot of hassle. Which is true, its a small office, any replacement won't have the padt knowledge of current jobs.
    She gave me two days extension.

Got a letter typed in work, sent it at 5pm.
    eating my breakfast this morning immigration rang me back. That's perfect, she has no problem granting my visa. However, we are still waiting for the sponsorship to come through...

The same woman is looking after nomination and visa, she has said they are both good to go. Hopefully once the company gets approved for sponsorship, it'll be granted officaly.

No home free yet, but at least now I know that I've been approved. Some of the stress gone. I must say, my case officer was excellant. She honestly came accross like she want didn't want to refuse it. And helped me satisfy conditions when she could of just waved me off.

Hopefully i'll have an update next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Excellent, fingers crossed, people view immigration as the bad guy, but they aren't really, the Gov wants skilled people here otherwise it won't grow etc.

Obviously there are problems, but they aren't the evil people make out!

Good luck

hussey wrote: »
    Excellent, fingers crossed, people view immigration as the bad guy, but they aren't really, the Gov wants skilled people here otherwise it won't grow etc.
    I've dealt with two people, my 457 case officer as above and the guy who handled my visa when I lodged. He bascially told me to come back with any proof that I need to work (as I couldn't on current visa), I arrive back with rent book and bank statement, he sorted it on the spot.

Basically, most of them are nice, normal people. but immigration is so much red tape that they have to follow the rules. They just need any sort of evidence from you to do these things.

Only bad one I've met is the woman handling my companys sponsor application, talk about slow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Zambia wrote: »
    Seconded you are being sarcastic right ?

If you have to ask then you really should probably spend less time searching for stuff to be offended by.

I mean Im not new to this forum and Ive been a sarcastic poster for the entire time, why the hell would I start praising skumbags acting idiots all of a sudden?

If you have to ask then you really should probably spend less time searching for stuff to be offended by.

I mean Im not new to this forum and Ive been a sarcastic poster for the entire time, why the hell would I start praising skumbags acting idiots all of a sudden?

I know! I thought it was sarcastic because you generally are, but then I thought you might be double bluffing us!

Sarcasm is hard on t'internet :)

(also, thank god for that!)

That was my first guess but I was looking for a :rolleyes:

There was none .......none I tell you !!!

Anyway back to more important topics

I brought a CD today in JB Hi Fi and its ****, bit of a Gamble but there you go.
    Could I get a refund or exchange as ....
    "CD does not meet my expectations, I wanted a good CD and this is not"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sirbob

ha yea i loved it der once i get around oz im going bac before i go anywere else :D

Advertisement