Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

Yep -it's allowed although I lolled at the part about "not encouraging it" in this link. If you are born in the US (like I was) you are automatically a US citizen, no matter what. It's just a case of whether or not you avail of getting a passport. I have one although I only travel on it if I'm going to the states (as it's illegal to enter the States on the passport of your other nationality).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

watna wrote: »
    https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

Yep -it's allowed although I lolled at the part about "not encouraging it" in this link. If you are born in the US (like I was) you are automatically a US citizen, no matter what. It's just a case of whether or not you avail of getting a passport. I have one although I only travel on it if I'm going to the states (as it's illegal to enter the States on the passport of your other nationality).

I was talking to an Australian couple and they had a child when they were living in Ireland. They couldn't get an Irish passport for him and he is not classed as Irish. I was staggered at this, How can it be if you are born in a country then you are not a citizen of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I was talking to an Australian couple and they had a child when they were living in Ireland. They couldn't get an Irish passport for him and he is not classed as Irish. I was staggered at this, How can it be if you are born in a country then you are not a citizen of the country?

Same deal in Australia, a child born after 1986 requires

At least one responsible parent to be either a Citizen or a Permanent resident.

or

Have spent the first 10 years of their lives in Australia.

mandrake04 wrote: »

or

Same in NZ - the parents need to be a permanent resident or NZ citizen.
    I'm pretty sure it's to stop people going to a country just to give birth and claim citizenship for their child. For some reason they don't care about that in the States!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So does that mean the child of a permanent resident becomes a citizen? In Australia like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

I still find it hard to believe. I mean if an Australian Man and NZ Woman have a child in Ireland what nationality is the child? Prob dual nationality to a country the child has never been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

KingdomYid wrote: »
    It is bucketing down in Sydney today, it has not stopped since I woke.

As an average for the year, it rains more in Sydney than in Ireland, can't beat the sunny days though on the beach!!

I still find it hard to believe. I mean if an Australian Man and NZ Woman have a child in Ireland what nationality is the child? Prob dual nationality to a country the child has never been to.
    Most likey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia wrote: »
    So does that mean the child of a permanent resident becomes a citizen? In Australia like.

Absolutely.

But....

A child of a couple who are on a 457 visa will not be a citizen unless one or both parents become a PR and the child is added on to the application.

Or

The said child lived first 10 years in Australia (ie. As a dependent on 3 successive 457 visa)

I don't understand why it's hard to believe? It's the same in a lot of countries, if two Irish people had a baby in Aus or NZ they wouldn't be aitomatically intitled to citizenship either. There are other ways though. If the child lived there for a certain number of years they would be entiteld to citizenship through naturalisation, just like everyone else.

There was actually a referendum in Ireland about it a few years ago. It used to be that you automatically got citizenship if you were born there. Did you vote then to say you didn't agree with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Correct. My neighbours are permanent residents and their toddler (born here) is therefore a citizen. It's handy because they get to sneak into the citizens queue at the airport which moves far faster than the residents/visitor queues. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Whe I got my first Irish Passport I am sure I got it in Wellington.
    Its a bit silly having a consulate thats not in the Capital City.
    Most countries have their embassy or consulate in the Capital for obvious reasons.
    kiwipower wrote: »
    I guess maybe its to do with the size difference between Wellington and Auckland. How many other countries have a capital city less than half the size of their biggest city?
    How about Australia

Well that rules out that theory.

I think that Joe Walsh Tours (The Irish Travel Agent) had a base at one stage in Auckland. Maybe they just developed as a Consulate from there?

Please forgive my earlier post. Silly comment not thought through!

I find this a bit hard to follow. Unless the couple were in Ireland working for the Australian Embassy or something similar. Then my understanding is that they remain a citizen of their parent’s home country. (Based off investigating if I had a child in Ireland could they be a dual citizen like myself)

I know a woman from Zambia, working in Ireland on a workers visa, who had a daughter in Ireland last March. The child is an Irish Citizen due to being born here, but she cannot get the child Zambian citizenship as Zambia won’t recognise a foreign birth.

or

It does get complicated in Australia, if a child is born to non-Australian parents in Australia. My cousins born to NZ parents in Brisbane are Australian citizens BUT are classified as "State-less" due to their parents being foreign. Not a big issue, unless the want to plays state of origin rugby league or go into politics etc. (or at least was, when I last looked at it ten years ago)

watna wrote: »
    There was actually a referendum in Ireland about it a few years ago. It used to be that you automatically got citizenship if you were born there. Did you vote then to say you didn't agree with it?

My understanding of the referendum, as supported by my above comment, is that the referendum was about the right to automatic citizenship for non-national parents of a child born in Ireland.
    In other words any child born on the island(s) of Ireland where and still are entitled to Irish citizenship. Pre referendum due to the constitutional right of the child to parents, the non-Irish parent(s) could claim Irish Citizenship once their child was recognised as an Irish Citizen. Since the referendum the parents no longer have rights to Irish Citizenship through the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

I am just stating this as I know it as it may be of some use to you all. My son was born in new zealand, I am NZ born citizen and my husband is Irish, because my son was born after 1st Janurary 2005, he has to either get an endorsement in his Irish passport or apply for a new zealand passport to enter New Zealand. Because I am New Zealand and he was born there still does not give him the right to New Zealand Citizenship. My daughter was born in Ireland she definitely needs to register as a NZ citizen through parental descent before she can apply for her New Zealand passport. www.dia.govt.nz deals with citizenship issues.

I am just stating this as I know it as it may be of some use to you all. My son was born in new zealand, I am NZ born citizen and my husband is Irish, because my son was born after 1st Janurary 2005, he has to either get an endorsement in his Irish passport or apply for a new zealand passport to enter New Zealand. Because I am New Zealand and he was born there still does not give him the right to New Zealand Citizenship. My daughter was born in Ireland she definitely needs to register as a NZ citizen through parental descent before she can apply for her New Zealand passport. www.dia.govt.nz deals with citizenship issues.

As your son was born in NZ he should have a NZ birth certificate. This will make him a New Zealand citizen. The endorsment is to show that he is entitled as a dual citizen to stay longer than the three months Irish citizens are alowd to stay in NZ without a visa. My sister got it in her Irish passoprt when she went for a visa for China, as her NZ passport had expired. The NZ passport only last 5years now. :mad:

To get the endorsment you have to be an NZ citizen or resident. I choose to keep both my passports active so I dont need the endorsment.

Can you let me know how your daughter gets on with the parental descent for NZ as it is something I maybe interested in one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

What a pain in the backside I get what you are saying and it makes sense...I am going to apply for the NZ passports once the descent stuff comes through before they go and change the rules again!!!...then they will have both even if it expires they can decide which one to use when they travel.

Of course I will be sure and keep you posted on the decsent application, the process as I am aware is I pay a fee to nz dept internal affairs (I think 94GBP) to apply for the descent cert then when I have that cert I can apply for a NZ passport submitting that cert and possibily any other details they need to see (ie my passport and her long birth cert) then thats fine so. Its very confusing but a good way of generating a bit of revenue! Oh well definitely go for the Kiwi passport too at least that way you can travel Australasia and the EU then with no hassles!

it was a bit of fun when I applied for my Irish passport.
    I needed my parents marrige certificate and my dads long form birth certificate. Thankfully my parents had both of these.

I can only imagine the fun if my nephews try to get Irish passports. There birth certs, there parents birth certs and marrige certs, then the grandparents marrige and birth certs! Made complicated by parents not being married!

I thought about just getting the NZ endorsment in my Irish passport but Im not sure how well that would go down if I decided to travel through countries that dont recognise dual citizenship.

Zambia won’t recognise a foreign birth.

Yeah they sure do give me the ****s:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kiwipower, afraid you are wrong on a number of counts

I find this a bit hard to follow. Unless the couple were in Ireland working for the Australian Embassy or something similar. Then my understanding is that they remain a citizen of their parent’s home country. (Based off investigating if I had a child in Ireland could they be a dual citizen like myself)
    The child is a australian citizen on account of both their parents being oz citizens. The child isn't entitled to irish citizenship.
    I know a woman from Zambia, working in Ireland on a workers visa, who had a daughter in Ireland last March. The child is an Irish Citizen due to being born here, but she cannot get the child Zambian citizenship as Zambia won’t recognise a foreign birth.
    The child is only an irish citizen if the other parent was irish. Being born here does not entitle you to citizenship since the middle of 2004.

Zambia's laws are obv different
    My understanding of the referendum, as supported by my above comment, is that the referendum was about the right to automatic citizenship for non-national parents of a child born in Ireland.

In other words any child born on the island(s) of Ireland where and still are entitled to Irish citizenship. Pre referendum due to the constitutional right of the child to parents, the non-Irish parent(s) could claim Irish Citizenship once their child was recognised as an Irish Citizen. Since the referendum the parents no longer have rights to Irish Citizenship through the child.
    No. You are confusing the referendum with an EU court case.

The referendum was to remove a constitutional right to citizenship for all people born here. The parents never got citizenship previously, but were afforded residency as the child was a dependant and a citizen.

The referendum added the following text;
    Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.

I believe laws had to be in place to stop the practice of Anchor Babys
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

I relation to the Zambian immigration department they are not really from my experience in the business of granting permanent Visas.
    http://www.zambiaimmigration.gov.zm/

See website no mention of staying permanent. However I cant see anything saying they would deny a child born of a Zambian a Zambian passport.

• Advertisement

I will check with my Zambian Collegue when I see her next.

What I know/understand at the moment is that neither parent is an Irish Citizen. The child was born in 2010 and has an Irish birth certificate and passport. The mother then had to get a visa for the child to enter Zambia, due to the Irish passport.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my collegue has permanent residence in Ireland. Though I think she is on an indefinate workers visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I will check with my Zambian Collegue when I see her next.

What I know/understand at the moment is that neither parent is an Irish Citizen. The child was born in 2010 and has an Irish birth certificate and passport. The mother then had to get a visa for the child to enter Zambia, due to the Irish passport.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my collegue has permanent residence in Ireland. Though I think she is on an indefinate workers visa.

If one parent was entitled to be a citizen, but had not yet become one formally, then the child is entitled to be a citizen. May be at play here.

Also, the law just means that there is no automatic constitional right to citizenship. This does not mean that such child cannot become citizens through other laws or means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I would like to personally thank Lizzy this weekend for giving us a long weekend, even though her birthday was in April!

queens-birthday-482x298.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Dam it,missing her birthday bash by 1 week !

Mrs Z Gave birth to a Baby boy last night. It may have been the Queens birthday but we got a present.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Fantastic news - congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

thats great news..
    a beautiful baby boy super..:)
    hope mother and baby are doing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Anchor Baby?

:D

Just kidding congratulations mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hi all, my Whv for Australia is up at the end of October. Me and my partner are looking to go to NZ on the WHV scheme. I have looked at the NZ government website and all the related FAQ's. Just one thing, it says that you are not eligible for permanent work. If you want this you need to apply for a work visa. As I said I read the website but am still unclear on this. What does the WHV allow you to do in terms of employment? Is it like aus were you cant work for one employer for more than six months etc. I would be seeking full time employment for the year I am there.

Also, whats the best area to go. I know its probably been asked a million times. I would be looking for work mainly in warehousing / storeperson type job. My partner call center / office / beauty. I am going to look at seek and gumtree regarding jobs and accomadation but would like some personal input from people already there.

Also, is there anything else I should consider regarding the move from Oz to NZ?

Thanks for any info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Mrs Z Gave birth to a Baby boy last night. It may have been the Queens birthday but we got a present.

:)

Congratulations Zambia.

I take it you will not be naming the heir Ned!!!

Congrats again.

Advertisement