Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Congratulations Zambia.

I take it you will not be naming the heir Ned!!!

Congrats again.
    Not in your life.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Slunk, you can get a job for the full 12 months no problem. I think when it says you can't get permanent work it means that you can't look for a permanent job that extends beyond the 12 months WHV.

The best places to go jobs-wise would be Auckland or Wellington. Auckland's a lot bigger so there would be more jobs but Wellington's a lot nicer. It's a really great city to live in & I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Slunk wrote: »
    Hi all, my Whv for Australia is up at the end of October. Me and my partner are looking to go to NZ on the WHV scheme. I have looked at the NZ government website and all the related FAQ's. Just one thing, it says that you are not eligible for permanent work.

technically that means that you are specifically coming over for a holiday, but grabbin bits of work while you can, to keep yourself going...
    If you want this you need to apply for a work visa.

this just means that once you've found somewher to work on the WHV and your employers like/need you, you can get them to sponsor you on a proper working visa once your WHV finishes.
    As I said I read the website but am still unclear on this. What does the WHV allow you to do in terms of employment? Is it like aus were you cant work for one employer for more than six months etc. I would be seeking full time employment for the year I am there.

all good, no 6 month restriction here, can work for th year, sooooo much easier to find work than oz. (particularly if you have qualification in construction and are going to chch)
    Also, whats the best area to go. I know its probably been asked a million times. I would be looking for work mainly in warehousing / storeperson type job. My partner call center / office / beauty. I am going to look at seek and gumtree regarding jobs and accomadation but would like some personal input from people already there.

that's broad enough you can really just go to job sites (eg seek.co.nz or trademe.co.nz) and find the job you want, then go to that place... if there are outside of work pursuits that particularly interest you, now's the time to think about that and base yourself in the most appropriate spot... but if you don't know what you're looking for, then there's no real wrong place to go, imo.
    Also, is there anything else I should consider regarding the move from Oz to NZ?

you'll probably get paid less, have a damper house and have to decipher whatever the hell it is kiwis do to their vowels, but (having never really properly lived in oz), don't think there'd be a massive different..... though it really depends on the lifestyle you choose to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

you'll probably get paid less, have a damper house and have to decipher whatever the hell it is kiwis do to their vowels, but (having never really properly lived in oz), don't think there'd be a massive different..... though it really depends on the lifestyle you choose to live.

We use the vowels to damp proof the batch! (Or the crib down in the deep south)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sponsorship granted - finally!!!

Company was approved for SBS on friday, and when the case officer came in on monday the nomination and visa went through straight away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Sponsorship granted - finally!!!

Company was approved for SBS on friday, and when the case officer came in on monday the nomination and visa went through straight away :D

Nice one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Slunk wrote: »

Also, is there anything else I should consider regarding the move from Oz to NZ?

Thanks for any info :)

Lower wages, lower costs, terrible mobile tariffs, average internet, older cars (which you should defo get sooner rather than later, one of my regrets), more laid back atmosphere, bigger mountains, greener greens, bigger trees, amazing scenery at every turn, more heritage, which is embraced, SPEIGHTS (Spaoits), sun, fun, bungy, parachutes, hikes, eh Zorbing, hot pools, cold pools, glaciers, greenstone eh eh eh to much to say…..just an amazing place to be. Have you considered all this, HAVE YOU????? Oh you have….sorry if I went on. Reminiscing a little. I really wanna go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks everyone for the replies. Regarding where to move too, ideally somewhere with enough work to keep up going. Would like a place with lots of things to do. Not up for getting drunk every weekend. Would like to be close to things that could maybe go to as a weekend away. All the stuff spunky mentionem sounds good. Are the attractions like bungy, zorbing, glaciers etc located more northern or southern.
    We just want to make the most of our time. Want to see and experience different things but don't like the hassles of moving from one city to the next. Done my fair share of hauling bags around in oz. So basically I'm asking which area has the most so offer regarding activities :)

Thanks again

SPEIGHTS (Spaoits

The Urine of a horse thats been drinking Macs Gold or DB Export! :p

kiwipower wrote: »
    The Urine of a horse thats been drinking Macs Gold or DB Export! :p
    Double Brown??? export!!!! Dude!!!??? Macs, hell yeah. Actually forgot about that!!!

And regards all the cool stuff to do slunk. Taupo, north island, Queenstown, south island.
    Auckland probably best for work. Biggest place, more ops and thats. Geographically, a little north but NZ isnt that big a that a couple of days on the road and your at the other end of the country! I drove queenstown at 10 am on a thursday morning, in hamilton friday night, 8 pm, 1600 km....by the way, not recommend but it can be done!!!

Defo look at welly thought. Just a great vibe to the place and stunning location

• Advertisement

Double Brown??? export!!!! Dude!!!??? Macs, hell yeah. Actually forgot about that!!!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmj_c7QdeBcTrQJJ4R9RiQk6NrwIe5JXQIVRv3AZOAwds1tiftVmFRsQ
    DB Export Gold different from Double Brown. Was the drink of choice as a ahhmm legal drinker in any country BUT NZ, before they lower the drinking age! Then good old TUI the student beer of choice!

Now when Im home it has to be Macs, even though the sis is mad for Monteith's!

kiwipower wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmj_c7QdeBcTrQJJ4R9RiQk6NrwIe5JXQIVRv3AZOAwds1tiftVmFRsQ
    DB Export Gold different from Double Brown. Was the drink of choice as a ahhmm legal drinker in any country BUT NZ, before they lower the drinking age! Then good old TUI the student beer of choice!

Now when Im home it has to be Macs, even though the sis is mad for Monteith's!

Ah I get ya!! That's not a bad beer. Preferred the golden myself. Generally a TUI man though!
    Gotta say the beer in Oz is far superior!!

Gotta say the beer in Oz is far superior!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No! :D

How can you say that when the call their beer 4X because the locals cant spell BEER! ;)

Ok, maybe not vb, xxxx or carlton draught but the likes of Fat Yak, Little Creatures (bright ale) redback...just a great beers. Id even throw boags in the mix. Montys have Summer Ale, which is like jumping into a cool pool on hots summers day and speight distinction is tasty but Little Creatures Bright Ale just trumps them all. Best beer ive had this side of the world!

Still European beers are generally better than Australasian beers:p

I didn't get a chance to try those beers you mentioned.

I must say I did quite like the Crown Larger.
    crown-lager.jpg
    Absolutly hated XXXX but thats what the relatives where drinking (cause its cheeper in Brisbane) so drunk that when we were camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

I've been considering going over to Oz for quite a while but none of mates are in a position to be able to come with so really don't know what to do.I've been unemployed for quite a while and in desperate need of a change! Going alone seems very daunting, any suggestions people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 angus999

Im in the exact same position as you. At this stage im just going to go on my own instead of waiting around to see if anyone wants to go aswell(getting organised to head over in the next 2 months), very daunting as you say but im hoping that when i get over there things will work out, really need a break from ireland.

Jbpc wrote: »
    I've been considering going over to Oz for quite a while but none of mates are in a position to be able to come with so really don't know what to do.I've been unemployed for quite a while and in desperate need of a change! Going alone seems very daunting, any suggestions people?

Get your WHV and GO!
    You will meet new mates no worries!
    If you have a look at the forum there are loads of people in the same boat as you, all going it alone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Jbpc wrote: »
    angus999 wrote: »
    Im in the exact same position as you. At this stage im just going to go on my own instead of waiting around to see if anyone wants to go aswell(getting organised to head over in the next 2 months), very daunting as you say but im hoping that when i get over there things will work out, really need a break from ireland.

jbpc let me introduce you to angus 999, angus 999 let me introduce you to jbpc:pac::pac:

i went nz in 06/07 on a whv. i was meeting up with a friend over there and a few more came after about 6 months. i was surprised at the amount of people i met who were travelling by themselves. it is daunting but if it doesnt work out you can still come home.

i spent 6 months in wellington nz. there were 3 irish bars and a gaa club in the city at that time.

i still remember the excitement of getting over there first. in nz you can work in one company for 12 months, as far as i know in oz its 6 months. both are long enough times to met people, join clubs etc and become a bit settled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ok, maybe not vb, xxxx or carlton draught but the likes of Fat Yak, Little Creatures (bright ale) redback...just a great beers. Id even throw boags in the mix. Montys have Summer Ale, which is like jumping into a cool pool on hots summers day and speight distinction is tasty but Little Creatures Bright Ale just trumps them all. Best beer ive had this side of the world!

Still European beers are generally better than Australasian beers:p

Dont get me started on Fat Yak, delicious beer especially if you see a pub that has it on draft, but after lots of schooners with a bit of spirits mixed in, you walk up feeling you got fcuked in the ass by an actual Yak.

Worst Hangover ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

From the Irish echo

Categorised | News, Opinion
    Comment: Irish Govt should try for Australian visa agreement
    Posted on 19 June 2011 at 9:00 am by Billy Cantwell

The prospect of unemployment in Ireland has led to a jump in Irish overstayers in Australia. For the first time in almost two decades, the number of Irish nationals overstaying their Australian visas has increased sharply.
    At the end of June 2009, there were fewer than 450 Irish ‘illegals’. The most recent figure is 1,075 and growing.

There are both push and pull factors. Ireland’s economic woes and Australia’s buoyant jobs market are undoubtedly influencing the upsurge.
    Faced with the prospect of returning to an unemployment rate of almost 15 per cent and mounting public debt (which will be the burden of Irish taxpayers for years to come) hundreds of young Irish are deciding to wing it by overstaying.

Similarly, many young Irish illegals continue to work and earn a good wage.
    Last week, we spoke to two young Irishmen who are in this situation.
    Having run out of visa options, they have resolved to kick the can down the road in the hope that something will miraculously occur to make them legal again.

They understand that if the Department of Immigration catches up with them, they will be deported. They have begun to alter their behaviour accordingly. They go out less. They avoid police. They keep their heads down.
    But there are consequences for this course of action beyond the personal ignominy of a life in the shadows – the omnipresent threat of possible incarceration in a detention centre followed by a humiliating deportation.
    The Australian Government watches the behaviour of visa holders closely. Changes in trends are identified and they inform immigration policy. If the proportional number of Irish illegals continues to rise, it may lead to a reassessment of Ireland, currently deemed low-risk for visa purposes, as a source of visitors and temporary residents.

In other words, future Irish applicants may find it more difficult to get a visa.
    In a worst case scenario, it could lead to a re-evaluation, for example, of the Working Holiday Scheme which is only available – on a reciprocal basis – to the citizens of 20 countries.

Those who overstay may argue that they are working and paying taxes and this is often the case, unbeknownst to their employers.
    But the sage advice is to stay legal. As soon as your visa lapses, the challenge of getting legal again becomes significantly more difficult.
    There are many possible avenues to extending your time in Australia legally but you need to be organised and plan ahead.

Do not ignore the problem until the last minute. You will run out of time and options. Look at student visas. It may cost you money but you will be able to work, legally, and there are options to extend.

Look at regional visas. There are sponsorship opportunities beyond the city limits that can lead to permanent residency. Look at management companies. If your employer is happy to keep you on but less willing to sponsor you, there are companies that can provide that visa link.

Finding a sponsor remains a gilt-edged path to residency and we are aware that some unscrupulous employers will lead their staff on about an intention to sort out their visa. But there is no recourse for you if your employer suddenly does not want to discuss the issue and your visa is running out.
    Looking at skilled immigration more broadly however, there are positive changes afoot, from an Irish perspective.

The changes to the points test and the skilled programme, which come into effect on July 1, should make it easier for Irish nationals to get visas.
    The undeclared intention of the changes is to expand the skilled programme and favour those with good English-language skills.
    Major Australian companies are starting to look to Ireland to fill skilled vacancies. They know that Ireland has an increasing number of skilled out-of-workers.

Next month, the West Australian Government will lead a jobs mission to Ireland and the UK seeking to fill a range of vacancies. This is excellent news for those in Ireland looking for an exit strategy.
    Australia looks set to be the major beneficiary of Ireland’s woes. The Australian Government knows that Irish nationals make good immigrants. They integrate easily, they are highly-educated, they are English-speaking, they share values and heritage with mainstream Australia and fit comfortably into the multicultural mix. Perhaps now is the ideal time for a special visa deal between the two countries.

Australians find it difficult to get work visas — beyond the reciprocal working holiday visa — in Ireland. Irish nationals are desperate to extend their stay in Australia. Could a new visa deal between the countries — taking into account the unique prevailing circumstances — be the answer?
    We are aware that Canada has recently made special visa provisions for Irish nationals — a second year on the Working Holiday Agreement and also the chance to bring in dependents. Concessions have also been secured for permanent residency applicants from Ireland.

The Canadian immigration minister is Jason Kenney, whose family hails from Roscommon. This is the real global Irish network at work: practical visa opportunities for Irish nationals who would be better off working abroad than being unemployed at home. Why could a similar deal not work here?

Perhaps this should be priority number one for the new ambassador — whoever that may be — when he or she arrives in August or September.
    Australia’s immigration policy now openly discriminates on the basis of skills and English language proficiency. Ireland has skills, Australia needs skills. There is a deal to be done.

Whats with all the Spam and advertising today ?? Have we like jumped up in Google or something ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaykay86

hi guys,anyone know of any good makes of backpacks that are durable and of good value as i am heading to oz travelling in sept and i need to get my backpack soon. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Here in Brisbane two weeks ,applied for a few jobs and had one interview last week and got the call this morning that im starting next Monday ! Company is talking of sponsorship also .. so things are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Did anyone else in Wellinton will that earthquake? got such a fright! I had my chair pushed back about to get under my desk. Thank god it was only for a few seconds. It was quite a jolt though!

watna wrote: »
    Did anyone else in Wellinton will that earthquake? got such a fright! I had my chair pushed back about to get under my desk. Thank god it was only for a few seconds. It was quite a jolt though!

There was one in Melbourne today, the wife thought it was the heating starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I felt that in work today didnt know what the hell was going on only the second time Ive ever felt one the first was in New Zeland years ago.

watna wrote: »

It was quite scary! I was dizzy for ages after it. I've felt a few little ones before but nothing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey Crumble Froo, check out these fukkin wussies!

• Advertisement

Haha :p I was actually thinking, fook I can only imagine what the Christchurch ones that were only a few km's deep felt like when we felt a 6.5 that strong but it was 150km deep!

Advertisement