Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hey Crumble Froo, check out these fukkin wussies!

I knew one of you two would say that! I agree with doriansmith though, it a 6.5 can feel like that when it's 150kms deep I can't imagine how scary it must have been in Christchurch.

I'm actually in Hong Kong airport on my back to Dublin for a visit - we left yesterday a few hours after the earthquake. Was a good send-off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have a good trip Watna.

Have a Guinness in McDaids for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

Do you have to be a qualified accountant to look for a job in Oz or would there be plenty of jobs say for part qualified accountants say with 5 years experience?

Repeating my finals and results not out til november so just wondering what the story is with jobs down in Oz at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ahtfulal wrote: »
    Do you have to be a qualified accountant to look for a job in Oz or would there be plenty of jobs say for part qualified accountants say with 5 years experience?

Repeating my finals and results not out til november so just wondering what the story is with jobs down in Oz at the moment

There is a massive WHV work thread - prob better to ask on that, as this thread is for general chit-chat

Zambia wrote: »
    Have a good trip Watna.

Have a Guinness in McDaids for us.

Thanks :) Mr Watna has his first Guinness in ages yesterday in the Foggy Dew and apparently it was very good. I had a pint of Bulmers and thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to call in Magners. :)

Have to say, Dublin is looking fantastic. There was such a buzz about the place yesterday. You just don't get that in Wellington. It's a cool city in its own way but you really can't beat walking around Dublin on a summer's afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

watna wrote: »
    Thanks :) Mr Watna has his first Guinness in ages yesterday in the Foggy Dew and apparently it was very good. I had a pint of Bulmers and thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to call in Magners. :)

Have to say, Dublin is looking fantastic. There was such a buzz about the place yesterday. You just don't get that in Wellington. It's a cool city in its own way but you really can't beat walking around Dublin on a summer's afternoon.

Wait until you run into the ever expanding groups of junkies - F*ckers have multiplied like rabbits over the last few years...saying that though I still can't get over how busy Dublin is (every night of the week) - including restaurants/pubs etc...add that to the fact its impossible to fill roles with qualified people and its definitely different to what I was expecting when I got home...

Still though - nice to visit for a few weeks but I don't think I could ever live back here again after this short stint...

Enjoy the holiday! Hopeful the rain wont hold up (but with oxygen being on you never know) - weekend is supposed to be nice :)

Thanks - tbh, I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could. It'll be hard to get on the plane back to NZ. Trying not to think about that part of the trip.

watna wrote: »
    Thanks - tbh, I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could. It'll be hard to get on the plane back to NZ. Trying not to think about that part of the trip.

and I'm vice versa :) can't wait to board the plane to Canada and leave Dublin to its own devices

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Here I am sitting in Ireland thinking how fantastic it would be to be back in NZ!

I just know that Id be back there all of two years and Id be missing being here!

If only tellyporting was an option!

Dam that 7year itch!!!

kiwipower wrote: »
    Here I am sitting in Ireland thinking how fantastic it would be to be back in NZ!

likewise - who's bright idea was it to locate NZ so far away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

kiwipower wrote: »

I just know that Id be back there all of two years and Id be missing being here!

If only tellyporting was an option!

If only! I'm in NZ & love it but really miss Ireland too. I'm going home later this year & I know that afer a few months I'll probably be wishing I was in NZ again.

I kind of wish NZ sucked cos it'd make leaving a lot easier!

Why do the two countries I want to be in most have to be on complete opposite sides of the world?!

Babysitting watching JAG sailor murdered in Luna Park by the water body found in the morning under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to get this answered but the search function wasn't being my friend and I didn't want to start a potentially pointless thread.

I've been offered a job in Melbourne. 60k AUS starting salary with a relocation allowance that will more than cover my potential moving costs ( I'm already in south east Asia and no large items to move). The company will pay the immigration costs for the 457 visa too.

I emigrated to further my career nearly 2 years ago so the moving thing is not an issue. I've also been to Melbourne before and I like the city so just one question:

From anyone's experience, is 60k AUS a year (possible 20% bonus but no guarantees) enough to live comfortably on in Melbourne? I'm a single guy with no kids, no really expensive habits and would be looking to share a house/apartment over there. This is just a starting salary and has the potential to increase relatively quickly based on performance but it's still my only reference point in terms of wages.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to get this answered but the search function wasn't being my friend and I didn't want to start a potentially pointless thread.

I've been offered a job in Melbourne. 60k AUS starting salary with a relocation allowance that will more than cover my potential moving costs ( I'm already in south east Asia and no large items to move). The company will pay the immigration costs for the 457 visa too.

I emigrated to further my career nearly 2 years ago so the moving thing is not an issue. I've also been to Melbourne before and I like the city so just one question:

From anyone's experience, is 60k AUS a year (possible 20% bonus but no guarantees) enough to live comfortably on in Melbourne? I'm a single guy with no kids, no really expensive habits and would be looking to share a house/apartment over there. This is just a starting salary and has the potential to increase relatively quickly based on performance but it's still my only reference point in terms of wages.

Thanks.

Definitely.
    Lucky sucker.

Hi guys,

Thanks.
    Unless you have any major addictions like crack, you should be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

That's me f*cked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I agree.
    I'm like yourself, single, no kids, sharing a place, etc, earning similar (well a little more, not much though) and im saving close to half. I now buy everything for cash (compared to credit card back home). If i see stuff i want, i feel comfortable buying it. I buy premium beers when out (none of that carlton draught piss). Im definitely not starving or eating yellow pack!! Most comfortable ive ever felt with money and im working full time for almost 8 years! 60K will have you sitting nicely here!!

Munky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nobo

hi all,

relocating to christchurch from ireland august 16 and just a few quick questions for ye , first off could do with a tip for a decent hostel i've spent time looking online seems a fair few out of action after the earthquake, looking for a place thats a bit of craic as im travelling solo and central too for work....
    i have a trade and assume theres plenty of construction work going on? is there an nz equivalant of the australian tax file number and ABN?
    this is a long shot but anyone know if the oz white card is accepted on nz work sites?
    this is a simple one , which nz mobile network offers best coverage/value for money?
    which nz bank to open account with ie. do some charge account fees while others dont, this was the case in oz..
    i see this gets asked alot on here but i think its average 13degrees there at the mo, whenabouts does it improve?

thanks a mill for any advice ye can throw my way,

i also hear the cbd is still in a bad way is this the case , how does that affect the nightlife?
    cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    I think I lost my passport, whats the procedure for gettign it back. Contact the consulate I imagine. What sort of fee am i looking at, time frame (i don't need it in a hurry or anything)

LOL 8 weeks later my passport turns up, a mate text me to say his neighbour found it.

It's a good thing I never got around to applying for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sydney was 26c today! WTF ... it's winter!!!

• Advertisement

Melbourne was really nice too. I'm off for the next few weeks as well time to handle the garden me thinks.

The wife looked at me earlier and said this is like a summers day in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yellowknife

how do you find the aussies?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Turn over enough rocks, you'll find one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JamesKav

Love Nz most cultural country out there by far, My Mothers from Nz so I might be a bit one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yellowknife

very funny. Do you get on with them though. I find them brash, strident and dim-witted.

Yellowknife banned as all his posts are pure troll I reckon we can do without him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

JamesKav wrote: »
    Love Nz most cultural country out there by far, My Mothers from Nz so I might be a bit one sided.

Do you know what the situation is like there as regards looking for work, am going in September on a working holiday visa
    ta

I reckon the whole Sydney Bomb case is going to end up as some deluded kid from a private school with to much time on his hands.

Wondering what he is thinking now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I know someone who previously lived in Sydney for about 5 years, and emigrated there a few years back and has had their fill. Granted they are in their mid 30s, but are sick of the cost and the whole "rat race" of it, so are getting out to somewhere smaller in Aus...........
    Something to bear in mind once the rose tinted glasses come off after living in a big city.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

seachto7 wrote: »
    I know someone who previously lived in Sydney for about 5 years, and emigrated there a few years back and has had their fill. Granted they are in their mid 30s, but are sick of the cost and the whole "rat race" of it, so are getting out to somewhere smaller in Aus...........
    Something to bear in mind once the rose tinted glasses come off after living in a big city.....

Its the same as everywhere else mate, they say a change is as good as a holiday but the fact is if you are living in a crap suburb doing a crap commute to a crap job for crap money then after a while its just going be crap.

Same crap different bucket scenario.

Have to agree about the smaller town's ...some places are just gold IMO, I live in the Hills Shire and spend the majority of my working week in smaller regional towns and often only go to the city at the weekends.

Today I am in Wagga Wagga and I like it but like my Father-in-law (who is from Dublin btw) lived in wagga from 1980-1985 and reckons that for opportunity Sydney was the way to go.

Am from a small town in Ireland myself but found a happy medium living 18 miles from Sydney CBD where I only have to drive 5 minutes to see green fields with cattle. Its only as good as you make of it yourself.

Advertisement