Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey Everyone,

Anyone got any opinions on NZ culture?
    If so Id love to hear them, if I could get facts and statistics that would be cool too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No stats only pictures cause im simple!

936full-once-were-warriors-screenshot.jpg

Once-Were-Warriors-Gallery-2.jpg.552x402.jpg?1268195489&size=400x1000

68162.jpg

3265750-A_NEW_ZEALANDER_New_Zealand.jpg

DeadPossum.jpg

Sums it up nicely.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

What a class day.

Goodbye winter .... Hello spring.

(official Thursday)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

jank wrote: »
    No stats only pictures cause im simple!

936full-once-were-warriors-screenshot.jpg

Once-Were-Warriors-Gallery-2.jpg.552x402.jpg?1268195489&size=400x1000

68162.jpg

3265750-A_NEW_ZEALANDER_New_Zealand.jpg

DeadPossum.jpg

Sums it up nicely.:D

So Jank Shall we rename you Opossum Born or Opossum Flat???
    I take it you are a Warrior???
    Did you read the book or just watch the film?
    The book was on our Seventh Form Cert English Ciriculum at the time (Leving Cert for the non-kiwi education minded.) Only country in the world where its acceptable to study a book that doesnt conform to rules on Grammer, Punctuation or sentance structure!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How about Opossum Opossum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kiwipower wrote: »
    The book was on our Seventh Form Cert English Ciriculum at the time (Leving Cert for the non-kiwi education minded.) Only country in the world where its acceptable to study a book that doesnt conform to rules on Grammer, Punctuation or sentance structure!!!!

I doubt that's true tbh.
    The first book that came to mind was Finnegans Wake. Consists of non-sensical rambling, portmanteaux, dream sequences, inter-language puns and various other styles that certainly don't conform to traditional rules. It's studied on a huge scale. There are probably more that I am not aware too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

29 degrees in Melbourne today after a winter like that I suddenly remember why we moved. Back to gardening and outdoor drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RobinEire

Zambia wrote: »
    29 degrees in Melbourne today after a winter like that I suddenly remember why we moved. Back to gardening and outdoor drinking.

Everyone to their own but I spent 20 years in Ozz and the times I wished it was cooler when I was pushing around that lawn mower I cant remember. Springtime and Autumn in Sydney on the coast were nice but with average house prices in the 700,000's I was having to work up to 86 hours a week with nightshifts thrown in every 3rd week so that kinda spoilt the weather too.

I have a barbi here at least twice a week, granted we have only managed to sit outside to eat it a few times this year lol Ohh its a gas barbi with a lid by the way. And no mortgage wooohooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It's been great weather up the east as well.

Working in Forster today & tomorrow and Port Macquarie on Wednesday & Thursday.

Have the beach gear with me and might chance a swim in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Was a beautiful day alright. Sitting watching crazy lightening now, gotta love Melbourne weather :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Spring's like a more extreme form of Ireland's down here at the moment... Teasing us with promises of summer one minute, lashing down from the heavens with bastard cold southerlies the next, three days of grey skies, then somehow I'm ****in sunburnt! So so good to see the sun again though, been a miserable aul winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah it has aye. I've got to get my ass in gear and find a new place to live, breaking up with the girl I came down to NZ with and going to find a place with some fun flatmates that want to make the most of this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

That sorta sounds like my winter last year.... commiserations on the loss of the relationship and congratulations to the beginning of something new, man. You stayin in Welly, yeah?

I gotta get my ass in gear and start earning me some money. Hehe, I've taken on a potentially kinda initially expensive responsibility, should be fun but very interesting to see how I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Heard chch got 2 more aftershocks today, hope ye are all alright down there in the mainland.:)

RobinEire wrote: »
    Everyone to their own but I spent 20 years in Ozz and the times I wished it was cooler when I was pushing around that lawn mower I cant remember. Springtime and Autumn in Sydney on the coast were nice but with average house prices in the 700,000's I was having to work up to 86 hours a week with nightshifts thrown in every 3rd week so that kinda spoilt the weather too.

I have a barbi here at least twice a week, granted we have only managed to sit outside to eat it a few times this year lol Ohh its a gas barbi with a lid by the way. And no mortgage wooohooo.
    #

I spent many a year in Ireland wishing it would stop raining so I could cut the grass. As regards house prices at 700000 average mate Jesus wept where did you live?

However yesterday just ruined everything as I had a whole days further gardening planned, garden supplies arrived and every now and again it would piss down on us. Plus the rain the night before turned half the Garden to sludge.

Bit of a damper on events.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

'Whats a Hindu?"

'Lays iggs eh bru."

"Wut religion are you?"

"Oh .. Hebru"

"Yeah Hey bru, but wut religion are you?"

#

I spent many a year in Ireland wishing it would stop raining so I could cut the grass. As regards house prices at 700000 average mate Jesus wept where did you live?

However yesterday just ruined everything as I had a whole days further gardening planned, garden supplies arrived and every now and again it would piss down on us. Plus the rain the night before turned half the Garden to sludge.

Bit of a damper on events.:(

Sutherland Shires average prices are about that, and its a cheap location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

:D

I spelled Hebrew wrong :( I guess I was too into the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just sold the car yesterday, finishing off my last day in work next Friday then I'm off on the 8th oct - everything is coming together now, going solo but still can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Came back to Oz from New Zealand last week after an awesome 8 days for the world cup. I traveled with Air New Zealand on the was back to Sydney and have to say they are a really fun Air Line, they even got some of the All Blacks to star in their safety video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f1awn9vBZE

My question is does anybody here know the name of the song at the end of the video, alot of live bands in the pubs in NZ seemed to play this song all the time so I'm guessing its a pretty big tune over there! Thanks for the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

MikeMacca wrote: »
    didnt want to make a new thread so thought id ask here
    im a part qualified accountant going to perth on my first whv in february. two of my mates are sparks who have a job got on the mines
    is there much accounting/finance jobs in perth?
    also,my mates are going on visas that their company sorted, i know on my whv i cannot spend more than 6 months in one position but is there ways and means about this. i.e find a job,settle in and continue on

Ask here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496201

and the bit in bold - same question here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

endainoz wrote: »
    Came back to Oz from New Zealand last week after an awesome 8 days for the world cup. I traveled with Air New Zealand on the was back to Sydney and have to say they are a really fun Air Line, they even got some of the All Blacks to star in their safety video.

My question is does anybody here know the name of the song at the end of the video, alot of live bands in the pubs in NZ seemed to play this song all the time so I'm guessing its a pretty big tune over there! Thanks for the help guys.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9F8nh3MvTc

Dont know if my attempt at a You Tube link works or not but it is a band called The Exponents, Why Does Love Do This To Me, I still cant watch the Safety Warnings even with a bunch of Bro's involved, good song though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RobinEire

Jumpy wrote: »
    Sutherland Shires average prices are about that, and its a cheap location.

I lived in Sutherlandshire on the shoreline of Botany Bay where Capt Cook landed and I only quoted that price as that is what we got for our bungalow before we came to Ireland. Anything with views or on the waterfront was around a million.

I think real estate is well overpriced in Sydney but I suppose if imigration stays high then there will always be a demand for houses and the ones on the coast near to work will probably remain high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

endainoz wrote: »

im surprised they dont just let the all blacks be the goverment in new zealand , they use them for everything else

RobinEire wrote: »
    I lived in Sutherlandshire on the shoreline of Botany Bay where Capt Cook landed and I only quoted that price as that is what we got for our bungalow before we came to Ireland. Anything with views or on the waterfront was around a million.

I think real estate is well overpriced in Sydney but I suppose if imigration stays high then there will always be a demand for houses and the ones on the coast near to work will probably remain high.

Botany isnt in the Shire

Are you thinking of Kurnell?

Oops, just looked back. You already said Kurnell ages back. My bad

• Advertisement

Well today I decided to treat the windows + eves with outdoor Mortein. The amount of bugs, spiders, ants, wasps etc that appeared was pretty gross.

Anything that has touched me since I jump a mile.

We will see how this works out?

Advertisement