Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is that stuff any good? Was thinking of getting barrier protection stuff to keep the unit bug free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dont kill the spiders. They keep the sandflies and mosquitos down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sorry the stuff got them to plus its pretty rank the amount of webs we had. Herds hoping the flyscreens work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

So glad I'm not in Aus after reading those posts. I'm not even that afraid of spiders but still, glad not to be there :)

So, I'm leaving New Zealand and moving back home to Dublin. Hurray!!! Made the decision in the last few weeks and just booked our one way flights. I've told work as well. I'm not going until the end of June, because I'm getting married in Dublin at the beginning of July. We've decided just to go over for the wedding and not come back. By the time we leave I'll have lived in NZ for four years which I think is long enough. I'm sure lots of people will think I'm mad but I have perm residency, I can come back wherever and at this stage I just want to go home.

So, if anyone is moving to Wellington in June of next year and you need some stuff - I'll have to sell or ship the contents of our two bed flat. It's going to be a big pain!

Just saw this on another forum, may be handy for some people?

PR.png

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    So glad I'm not in Aus after reading those posts. I'm not even that afraid of spiders but still, glad not to be there :)

So, I'm leaving New Zealand and moving back home to Dublin. Hurray!!! Made the decision in the last few weeks and just booked our one way flights. I've told work as well. I'm not going until the end of June, because I'm getting married in Dublin at the beginning of July. We've decided just to go over for the wedding and not come back. By the time we leave I'll have lived in NZ for four years which I think is long enough. I'm sure lots of people will think I'm mad but I have perm residency, I can come back wherever and at this stage I just want to go home.

So, if anyone is moving to Wellington in June of next year and you need some stuff - I'll have to sell or ship the contents of our two bed flat. It's going to be a big pain!

Would you not stay an extra year and get your passport? Your so close to it and PR does expire after a few years or do you have your RRV as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    Just saw this on another forum, may be handy for some people?

I have seen that before, its a pity its slightly out of date on the RHS (old points system)

I have my RRV - the permanent one (i.e. the second one you get after 2 years of having residency) so I'm all set, no need for a passport as both the residency and the RRV have no expiration date. Also, my first year here I was on a WHV so I've only 3 years of residency and I have residency by partnership, and as we're now getting married I'm sure if we did want to come back and for some reason my residency was no longer valid I could get it again.

I've no interest in becoming a citizen anyway, tbh. I already have two nationalities, I think a third would complicate things! :)

I'm really looking forward to going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

watna wrote: »

All the best with the move home watna. I'm making a similar one soon, leaving in 3 weeks (after 6 years). Feeling a bit nervous I have to say.

All the best with the move home watna. I'm making a similar one soon, leaving in 3 weeks (after 6 years). Feeling a bit nervous I have to say.

I'm not going for a while but it does feel a bit weird. What if things just aren't the same? What if everyone has got too used to you not being there?

I'm sure you are nervous but I'd imagine it will all work out. Enjoy heading back home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The GF lodged the application for secondary person on my 457 last week.
    They rang her today, 7 days, to request a scan of her passport and to register for Medicare. Then it can be finalised.

It would be great it its this quick, but I've a feeling that "finalised" just means put in line for a deciding case officer. Hopefully not.

Granted yesterday. So weds to thursday. 8 days.
    That was fast.

Yes, 457 are very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hey Mellor, can i get some information with regard to adding your gf as a secondary person. Did you go through an migration agent or do it yourself and how much is the application fee.

In the process of doing it myself, my 457 was done through my companies migration agent and i was wondering could i add my GF on myself with my companies approval.

Cheers

Yes, 457 are very fast.
    Immi said it could be 4 weeks before an agents is assigned. It looks like one was asigned after a week, and decided in a day.
    Hasmunch wrote: »
    Hey Mellor, can i get some information with regard to adding your gf as a secondary person. Did you go through an migration agent or do it yourself and how much is the application fee.

In the process of doing it myself, my 457 was done through my companies migration agent and i was wondering could i add my GF on myself with my companies approval.

Cheers

I did it myself.
    i did my own 457 earlier too. I'd nevr go near an agent for a 457.
    Agents ahve their uses, and they certainly help guys going for certain PR visa.
    But imo they are charge ridiculous prices for 457 visas.

The fee is simply the same as the 457 visa fee, $305. It's the same form, just has some sections missing. The form is straight forward to fill out, then just attach your evidence. We didn't have a whole lot of evidence tbh, but it was laid out very cleary imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Mellor wrote: »
    The fee is simply the same as the 457 visa fee, $305. It's the same form, just has some sections missing. The form is straight forward to fill out, then just attach your evidence. We didn't have a whole lot of evidence tbh, but it was laid out very cleary imo.

ok cheers for that :) The company i work required me to go through the agent and they paid for it so i didnt mind.
    We are together 4 years and should have plenty of evidence, its just a case of digging it out.

Thanks again

You don't need to go back 4 years for evidence. There isn't a time constraint for 457 defactos.
    Keep the statement simple and to the point.
    What matters is that you are together now. Current lease (we didn't have one), bills, joint bank account (we set one up right before applying, use it for weekly food shooping etc, kinda handy), flights together etc. Put them down as a super beneficary. Details of phone calls is a good one imo as its the most legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So far so good but needs me a job now...Anyone able to help? Currently in Auckland and hoping to stick here if I can.

Entries on a Boards.ie Reply box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

are there any vacancies on heavy duty machinery operation, there are two lads leaving in january one is a plumber the other a machinery operator, who has six yrs experience on track machines, diggers, tractor and trailor, there is also a girl with at least seven yrs experience in special needs, they all have the papers here in this country,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mitch31

Perth is crazy with the amount of jobs. Group of 10 of us came over 6 months ago and we all got jobs in our line of work within a week. From animal work to engineering, to accounts, plumber so forth. Currently getting sponsored so happy days. Guys just go over with a positive attitude and it will work out for ya. Not saying you will have the perfect job within a week but the chances are great over here. Just thought Id share my success story. Best of luck everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

God how do you acumlate so much junk?
    Its my nine year anniversary of living in Ireland this Friday.
    Just happens I have spent the last week moving house....
    Its taken 4large Carloads AND a moving truck...
    Just wondering how did I fit an entire life into a backpack and carry-on weighing in at less than 27kg only 9 years ago??????
    Does this officially mean my backpacking days are over? :-(

Like Tyler Durden says. "The stuff you own ends up owning you."

Defo Jank!
    And its not made of meat so I cant eat it!

I hate clutter. I purposely dont buy $hit anymore because it fills the place with crap you just end up throwing it out. How much stuff do people really need? A few books, a few blu-rays, a laptop with wifi. Im happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I hate clutter. I purposely dont buy $hit anymore because it fills the place with crap you just end up throwing it out. How much stuff do people really need? A few books, a few blu-rays, a laptop with wifi. Im happy!

Agreed. I moved to Aus this time, with months traveling en route, with one 11kg bag. At least half of that weight was taken up by laptop, hiking boots and couple of books. If/when I leave it'll with same bag, anything that doesn't fit in there is going on eBay or to our local Salvos.

Im going to blame it all on the other half!!!!
    Dont think I would have half this stuff if I didnt get tied down!!!!!!
    Tents, camping gear for softies and children! beds, book shelves, art work from neices & nephews!!!
    The list goes on!!!

I remember when I left 3 years ago I was packing up all my stuff in my parents house.Loads of crap then I thought was important. OK there are a few sentimental things there but the I cant even remember what I have there now, so it must not have been that important.

I was the same. Boxes of college stuff in the shed for the last 10years...
    Though Im sure the rats have eaten there way through it all by now!
    Im not much of a one for collecting sentimental things, but I cant let go of books, or worn out old clothes.. (but thats because I HATE clothes shopping, if I hang onto it all I wont have to replace it!)
    Its all kitchen stuff, tools and camping supplies. I guess I just have to face Im over my 20s and begining to settle down :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

On the other hand though its nice to have nice things.
    Plus you cant walk past a bargain.

• Advertisement

In 6 months time we have to box up/sell/ship the entire contents of a two bedroom flat. I'm dreading it. We're shipping personal items (clothes/shoes/books/decorative things) and a lot of my kitchen stuff. It's going to cost a fortune. I'm not looking forward to having to donate/sell all the furniture and other bits and pieces in the flat.

We also arrived with one suitcase each. It's madness!

Advertisement