Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

watna wrote: »
    In 6 months time we have to box up/sell/ship the entire contents of a two bedroom flat. I'm dreading it. We're shipping personal items (clothes/shoes/books/decorative things) and a lot of my kitchen stuff. It's going to cost a fortune. I'm not looking forward to having to donate/sell all the furniture and other bits and pieces in the flat.

We also arrived with one suitcase each. It's madness!

:)

I can smile because I've just done this very thing. Flat is just about empty now. Shippers are collecting some stuff tomorrow and then we're off on Thursday. Arrive back in Dublin in January.

We got quite lucky I think. Sent a group email to all our friends listing all the stuff we were trying to sell and got rid of most of it that way. eBay took care of some more and the Brotherhood picked up what we couldn't sell.

Once you get started it's not too bad (although in fairness I've still been working while the g/f has sorted most of it out! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ooh, that makes me feel a lot better :) Glad to hear it wasn't too bad. Although, I'll be the gf doing the majority of it, I think. :pac: I've started making lists of what is definitely coming with us and we'll send that a month before we leave.

TradeMe will be a lifesaver I reckon, put everything up for $1 reserve and watch it sell. I put a tent starting at $1 the other week and it sold for $59 - I think we only paid $60 for it in the first place so that was great!

Best of luck for your move back. I'm jealous! We're not leaving until the end of June but I'd go now if I could :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

White ribbon day today lads, if you have a few minutes take the time to sign up to the oath.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Excuse the ignorance, but what's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Campaign to stop violence against women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

In 6 months time we have to box up/sell/ship the entire contents of a two bedroom flat. I'm dreading it. We're shipping personal items (clothes/shoes/books/decorative things) and a lot of my kitchen stuff. It's going to cost a fortune. I'm not looking forward to having to donate/sell all the furniture and other bits and pieces in the flat.

We also arrived with one suitcase each. It's madness!

Where are you off to?

Where are you off to?

Back home to Dublin. Hurray! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Welcome back to the rain and darkness!

kiwipower wrote: »
    Welcome back to the rain and darkness!

I'm not leaving until next June, so I'll actually hopefully be leaving rain and darkness behind (and the wind, especially the Wellington wind).

I'm not leaving until next June, so I'll actually hopefully be leaving rain and darkness behind (and the wind, especially the Wellington wind).

Sorry thought your earlier post said "Back home IN Dublin!"

I should have realised you where to wise for that, and would organise a double summer! :D

• Advertisement

kiwipower wrote: »
    Sorry thought your earlier post said "Back home IN Dublin!"

I should have realised you where to wise for that, and would organise a double summer! :D

You know it! Had two winters when we came out. It was miserable. Never ever again :)

You know it! Had two winters when we came out. It was miserable. Never ever again :)

I SOOO Agree!

I went from QLD summer to South Eastern WA winter (and yes it was dark, cold and wet, had to light a fire most evenings in comparison to a summer in Rockhampton!) To the midlands of Ireland on the 18th Nov 2002 where there was bad flooding and darkness! It was like jumping from winter, to even a worse winter!

NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!!!

I wouldnt even go home for the RWC because it was winter there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

What? Why?

What? Why?

I'm getting married in July so we've decided not to come back to NZ after the wedding and settle down in Dublin. I've wanted to home for the past 18 months but my fiance has been doing a PhD - he's due to finish in 2 months.

New Zealand is nice and all and we have a good life here but I'm very homesick. NZ is just too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

New Zealand is nice and all and we have a good life here but I'm very homesick. NZ is just too far away.

I hear ya. I get back to Dublin in a couple of weeks. So excited! :D

I hear ya. I get back to Dublin in a couple of weeks. So excited! :D

Ooh, I'm jealous. Have fun! I'm a bit worried every time I go back that everyone will have changed and it'll make me feel worse but it never does, it always feels like I've never been away.

I was home in July for 3 weeks and that has to keep me going until the end of next June. I wish it was sooner but I'm just going to enjoy the NZ summer and autumn and try and get the most out of my last 6 months in NZ. By the time I get home to Dublin it will have been 4 years, I think that's long enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

What you up to in Wellington watna? Im only here a few weeks.

Still looking to get a decent job. Nice place though, wish this hazy cloud would lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah its typical early summer where you get really warm rainy muggy days with not the usual mad wind mixed in with gorgeous sunshine now and then. Looks like another week of it then should get better. Hopefully we'll have a sunny Xmas day for the bbqs and beach parties!

Hehe yeh hopefully it will be nice.

Really feeling weird that Christmas is comin up. Freaking out about what to. Do on the day to make it feel a little normal.

Are there many boardsies in Wellington?

Exar Khun wrote: »
    What you up to in Wellington watna? Im only here a few weeks.

Still looking to get a decent job. Nice place though, wish this hazy cloud would lift.

Do you mean what do I do for work? Like most people in Wellington I'm a public servant :) I work as an advisor at one of the government departments. I actually really enjoy it!

I have been in Welly for 3.5 years though so I'm pretty well settled. It takes a while to find your feet. It took me a few months to get a decent permanent job. I temped for a while just to get used to the NZ job market. Hope you find something soon!

Be warned, Wellington is dead over Christmas. Absolutely dead! Most people go away for Xmas/New Year. The only other boardsie I know in Wellington is pclancy. I think there's more but I'm not aware of them.

• Advertisement

Yeh there isn't much going on what with Christmas and the election/RWC hangover. Working at various jobs on casual basis just about making ends meat.

Nice city though. Good atmosphere.

Lets hope it picks up in the new year.

Yeh there isn't much going on what with Christmas and the election/RWC hangover. Working at various jobs on casual basis just about making ends meat.

Nice city though. Good atmosphere.

Lets hope it picks up the new year.

December/January are very quiet months. Lots of people start looking for new jobs when they get back after the break. I'm sure it will pick up. What kind of work are you looking for? Having worked in HR in Wellington I can tell you that lots of places won't bother advertising until after Christmas because lots of staff or hiring managers are/will be off work. 23rd January is Wellington anniversary too so it's a public holiday. Some people take holidays off work until the day after to get a nice long break.

Glad you like Wellington, I do too although sometimes how small it is drives me mad. Most of the time it's size is a big plus. :)

Yep LOTS of people take leave and head away over Xmas to visit family or do the whole kiwi camping thing somewhere warm and scenic. Where i work probably half the staff are taking long breaks and hitting the road. I'm saving up my holidays for Feb when its a bit quieter at the tourist spots but still warm.

Just office administration temp roles that I was getting back home you know?

Yeah it is small but its a great setting for a city and with the parks and beaches it's great for outdoors stuff.

Does everyone work in the public sector here?

Nah there's also lots of big banks, IT, service, oil and insurance hqs or regional offices in Welly. Some small industry out of the cbd and plenty of education related places like language schools. Then of course there's the creative stuff like Weta or other small film/music companies, some graphics and design places. Considering its tiny population and urban footprint there is a variety of stuff here.

The DHB where i work is the biggest employer afaik. 5,000 staff. Tiny by european standards.

Everyone I know works in the public sector or for weta! :o

We normally have a lot of temp jobs going at work because they planning a restructure of the support services function and they didn't want to hire permanent staff. Unfortunately that restructure has started. I'm pretty sure there'll be jobs available in Feb though. I can let you know if I hear of anything.

Exar - Are you by yourself in Wellington or are you here with other people? Are you in Wellington over Christmas?

Yeh seems to be the case of Weta or ex weta employees and public sector! Heh.

I'm here with my girlfriend, she is a nurse, she is getting shifts so I'm a kept man for a while!

Well be in Wellington is it going to be dead?

Yeh seems to be the case of Weta or ex weta employees and public sector! Heh.

I'm here with my girlfriend, she is a nurse, she is getting shifts so I'm a kept man for a while!

Well be in Wellington is it going to be dead?

It'll be quiet enough, in my experience. I was out of the country last year but the year before I was in Welly for Christmas and New Year. I liked being here for Christmas, it was relaxing and we just chilled and went to the beach and things. I found New Year too quiet though, we're going away just for New Year this year. If you can get away for a few days over new year it's worth it.

Pclancy, are you around over Xmas/NY? Perhaps we could do a boards drink or something.

Yeh the beach sounds like a plan.

I think Pclancy is trying to set up a drinks evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

I miss Welly :(

Advertisement