Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Running Final Fantasy 7 on my PC

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭

So I've installed the old PC version of FF7 on my PC.

Installation went fine. When I start it up I get the audio but the picture is black. The computer goes kinda freezy as well.

I'm guessing the game doesn't know how to deal with my quad-core.

Any ideas how to get it to run properly??

I have a Dell Vostro 400, Vista Home Premium, Intel Quad Core 2.4 Ghz, 3Gb ram...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Have you tried running it under compatibility mode?

Moved from Comp and Tech. Hopefully these guys have come across the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Have you tried running it under compatibility mode?

Can you explain this to me? I'm new to Vista and haven't come across this before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

One idea might be to try running it in windows 2000 or 98 or even 95 mode. which ever was the os at the time it was released.

I googled the system requirement and it seems to be run on windows 95 so that or 98 would be a good place to start.

In xp if you right click the .exe file, the shortcut to run the game you go to properties and the click the compatibility tab and selct the mode. Dunno if it's the same in vista.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    One idea might be to try running it in windows 2000 or 98 or even 95 mode. which ever was the os at the time it was released.

I googled the system requirement and it seems to be run on windows 95 so that or 98 would be a good place to start.

In xp if you right click the .exe file, the shortcut to run the game you go to properties and the click the compatibility tab and selct the mode. Dunno if it's the same in vista.

I'll give this a lash - thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can you explain this to me? I'm new to Vista and haven't come across this before...
    Right click on the exe that launches the game. Click properties, the click the compatibility tab. Tick the "run this in compatibility mode" box and select windows xp(the game worked fine for me on xp so it should work under compatibility mode). Then click ok. Try running the game again.

Edit: Danger bet me to it.

• Advertisement

No luck - I've tried running it in compatability mode from Windows 95 and 98/Me and it's the exact same...

Any more advice?

EDIT: Tried XP now as well - still no joy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this only during the CGI sequences, or during gameplay as well? Seem to recall there was some pretty bizarre (even for then) codec required for the CGI movies.

Is this only during the CGI sequences, or during gameplay as well? Seem to recall there was some pretty bizarre (even for then) codec required for the CGI movies.

This is as soon as I launch the game - I don't even get the opening menu like...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A friend of mine had the same problem as you and gave the game to me to see if I could work it on my laptop (we both have dual cores + vista). It worked first time on mine and the only differences between how I installed it and how he installed it where that when I installed it, it asked to restart my computer (I don't think it asked that of my friends laptop), and when it installed, I found the installation folder in my programs folder and made sure the .exe was changed to windows 98 compatibility and "run as administator" was turned on.

So what i suggest to you is:
    Completely uninstall the game.
    Restart your computer.
    Reinstall the game fully, and make sure to restart your machine (even if it doesn't ask you to).
    Go to installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\FF7) and look for FF7.exe
    Right click it and click on properties on the bottom.
    a window will pop-up, click the one that says "Compatibility" (the middle tap, I think).
    First change compatability mode to Windows 98, the make sure it is being run as administrator (tick a box at the bottom).
    Now try running the game.

Make sure no mods are installed either, when you try running the game for the first time. Make sure the game itself works and then try installing mods one at a time (checking to make sure the game still works after each install, incase any are incompatible with vista)

This worked for me, hopefully it helps you.

A friend of mine had the same problem as you and gave the game to me to see if I could work it on my laptop (we both have dual cores + vista). It worked first time on mine and the only differences between how I installed it and how he installed it where that when I installed it, it asked to restart my computer (I don't think it asked that of my friends laptop), and when it installed, I found the installation folder in my programs folder and made sure the .exe was changed to windows 98 compatibility and "run as administator" was turned on.

So what i suggest to you is:
    Completely uninstall the game.
    Restart your computer.
    Reinstall the game fully, and make sure to restart your machine (even if it doesn't ask you to).
    Go to installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\FF7) and look for FF7.exe
    Right click it and click on properties on the bottom.
    a window will pop-up, click the one that says "Compatibility" (the middle tap, I think).
    First change compatability mode to Windows 98, the make sure it is being run as administrator (tick a box at the bottom).
    Now try running the game.

Make sure no mods are installed either, when you try running the game for the first time. Make sure the game itself works and then try installing mods one at a time (checking to make sure the game still works after each install, incase any are incompatible with vista)

This worked for me, hopefully it helps you.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply - I'll try it as soon as I get home...

Did this solve the problem for your mate as well?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply - I'll try it as soon as I get home...

Did this solve the problem for your mate as well?

Haven't seen him since I got it working on my computer, so I don't know.

make sure it is being run as administrator (tick a box at the bottom).

****in Vista won't let me tick the box - any idea how I can get it to do what I want?

God I hate vista...

****in Vista won't let me tick the box - any idea how I can get it to do what I want?

God I hate vista...

Did you try running it without the box ticked? Its worth a try.
    Are you the only user on your PC? It could be that another user is the administrator and your account doesn't have administrator access. You may need to install it on the administrators account and see if he/she can run it.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go if this doesn't work :(

Did you try running it without the box ticked? Its worth a try.
    Are you the only user on your PC? It could be that another user is the administrator and your account doesn't have administrator access. You may need to install it on the administrators account and see if he/she can run it.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go if this doesn't work :(

Yeah I'm the admin alright..

I've been googling and people seem to say that the Ultima version (which I think is the one I have) causes problems with Vista, so I'll try and get a different version and see how I go...

I'll let ye know - thanks for the help...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I had the same problem on XP. You need the Truemotion video codec:
    http://codec.alshow.co.kr/Page/en/true.htm

Also if you're running any codec pack that uses ffdshow you have to set ff7.exe as an exception in DirectShow Control.

maki wrote: »
    I had the same problem on XP. You need the Truemotion video codec:
    http://codec.alshow.co.kr/Page/en/true.htm

Also if you're running any codec pack that uses ffdshow you have to set ff7.exe as an exception in DirectShow Control.

Ok I'll give that a lash this evening - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

It required some specific drivers to get 3D acceleration (for 3Dfx I think, the first Voodoo graphics series). I had trouble getting that to run on Win2k a few years back.

In the end, it was easier to get a used version of the Playstation version and emulate it!

Advertisement