Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Unnecesary Proxy War?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

We all know that they never actually fought, but what was the worst proxy war?

My vote goes to Vietnam, worst casualty rate and nothing was actually achieved.

The only really neccesary one was Korea, for proof look at the two Koreas today.

Most Unnecesary Proxy War? 31 votes

Greek Civil War, 1946-1949
    0% 0 votes
    Malaysian Emergency, 1948-1960
    3% 1 vote
    Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1948-Present
    0% 0 votes
    Korean War, 1950-1953
    6% 2 votes
    Cuban Revolution, 1953-1959
    3% 1 vote
    1959 Tibetan uprising, 1959-1973
    0% 0 votes
    Vietnam War, 1957-1975
    3% 1 vote
    Guatemalan Civil War, 1960-1996
    45% 14 votes
    Congo Crisis, 1960-1965
    9% 3 votes
    Bay of Pigs Invasion, 1961
    0% 0 votes
    Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962
    3% 1 vote
    Angolan Civil War, 1974-2002
    0% 0 votes
    Ogaden War,1977-1978
    3% 1 vote
    Afghan-Soviet War, 1979-1989
    0% 0 votes
    Iran Hostage Crisis, 1979
    12% 4 votes
    Iran-Iraq war, 1980-1988
    3% 1 vote
    Invasion of Grenada, 1983
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yeah think i'll go with the Vietnam war also. Although it did push for the peace and diplomacy avenue a bit after all was said and done, apart from that the only thing that came out of it was racial prejudice and some military technological advancement neither really a good thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

We all know that they never actually fought, but what was the worst proxy war?

My vote goes to Vietnam, worst casualty rate and nothing was actually achieved.

The only really neccesary one was Korea, for proof look at the two Koreas today.

I'm nearly certain marginally more died in Korea than in Vietnam, it was far bloodier too as it was 3 years long whereas Vietnam was over 10 years of combat. It just has'nt been romanticised like the Vietnam war has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Can I ask who came up with the voting list becuase it seems a bit weird.
    I didn't know the Cuban missile crisis, the Iranian Hostages or the invasion of Grenada were classed as wars. Well maybe the last one was by Clint Esatwood and Hollywood ;) since the US actually fought for the day or so it lasted.
    The US attack on Libya has more right to be there than these.

In relation to Ethiopia, why only the Ogaden War and not the ones waged by Tigray and Eritrea in 1980s.
    Why not include conflicts in Namibia or Mozambique ?

As regards most unnecessary I would give it to one of the African civil wars that sprung up after some of the countries got independence.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

jmayo wrote: »
    Can I ask who came up with the voting list becuase it seems a bit weird.
    I didn't know the Cuban missile crisis, the Iranian Hostages or the invasion of Grenada were classed as wars. Well maybe the last one was by Clint Esatwood and Hollywood ;) since the US actually fought for the day or so it lasted.
    The US attack on Libya has more right to be there than these.

In relation to Ethiopia, why only the Ogaden War and not the ones waged by Tigray and Eritrea in 1980s.
    Why not include conflicts in Namibia or Mozambique ?

As regards most unnecessary I would give it to one of the African civil wars that sprung up after some of the countries got independence.

Take it up with wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can I vote in this pole by proxy?
    R0ot wrote: »
    ...apart from that the only thing that came out of it was racial prejudice and some military technological advancement neither really a good thing. :pac:

Pfft, I think you're forgetting about all the excellent movies and music that was made as a result of that war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Pfft, I think you're forgetting about all the excellent movies and music that was made as a result of that war.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Going to go with Korea.
    Close enough to resulting in China getting nuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Going to go with Korea.
    Close enough to resulting in China getting nuked.

In fairness though that was mostly Douglas Mac Arthur's fault. Eisenhower got rid of him fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Afghanistan gets my vote. Russia tried to do positive things like land re-distribution to kick start its economy into a positive direction, building colleges and educating women to be free of islamist oppression. It was that last point that brought the islamists out in opposition and when that happened america sided with the islamists to spite russian ambitions in the region.

IF it werent for american short sightedness that country/region could be in better shape right now and the world today would not be dealing with expansionsit islamists and terrorists all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Take it up with wikipedia.

Wikipedia appears to be the new bible of the 21st century :confused:
    Are we now slaves to wikipedia :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Korean War, 1950-1953

Last time I checked it was Korean War, 1950-2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I think you're forgetting about all the excellent movies and music that was made as a result of that war.
    What music? Besides Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes... Oh and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes by Ultravox.

Dudess wrote: »
    What music? Besides Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes... Oh and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes by Ultravox.

Sting hoping the russians loved their children too,
    99 luftbaloons,
    kids in america (ok maybe not).

Daivd Bowie Heroes/Helden (Im Rücken war kalt (so kalt)
    Schüsse reissen die Luft (reissen die Luft) also the berlin trilogy 'owed more than a passing nod' specially what was recorded at hansa potsdammer place.

Dominion mother/russia 'rain down down down' post chernbobyl - sisters of mercy.

Lou reed and iggypop in berlin in the mid 70's.
    Radio free europe! - rem. Billy joel not starting the fire.

Ones I had forgot till I found this site here ;

http://www.inthe80s.com/coldwar.shtml

Nikita Elton john.
    The beatles 'back in the ussr', Also the real reason the berlin wall fell ; "Looking for Freedom," by David Hasselhoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dudess wrote: »
    Morlar wrote: »
    Sting hoping the russians loved their children too

You people are confusing me. I was quoting R0ot, who was talking about the Vietnam War, a war which I claimed produced a lot of good movies and music. Then you start talking about songs that are clearly not about Vietnam but about Cold.

So distressed am I by these yella-bellied, red-menace, u-turning tactics that I have forgotten the music I was thinking of.

Off the top of my head Paul Hardcastle's "19" and Alice in Chains "Rooster".

But if you're going to list Cold War songs don't forget Safety Dance.

Ah - it looked like cold war music not vietnam-only which would be far more limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

The Bay of Pigs.
    Unnecessary as well as riddled with ineptitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Why vote for this, it effectively toppled the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

It also gave a much needed boost to Islamic fundamentalists and created the heroic mujahideen which morphed into the cowardly taliban. The collapse of the Soviet Union has led to widespread instability in Europe and Asia.

In 10 or 20 years we might look fondly back on the days when the soviets kept a lid on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It also resulted in Afghanistan being the utter tragedy it is today. Up to as recently as the 70s, that country was one of Asia's jewels.

Advertisement