Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widening fireplace opening

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

I have a solid fuel stove at home that sits in a fairly wide opning in the kitchen/dining room where a range used to be.
    Due to space and for comfort we are going to be doing some major renovating, this involves taking the stove from where it is and putting it into the opening of the fire in the sitting room.

After measuring he opening of the fireplace (not the fireback) and measuring the stove at he widest part, we are 2 inches short, the stove is 26inches and the opening is 24 inch.

What im trying to find out is that is it possible to have the fire opening widened an maybe raised a little to accommodate the stove.

The plumbing and flue shouldn't be a problem , i will be having the chimney checked .

I should have said that its a fairly old terraced house and the fireplaces in these houses were built in the corners ie. slanted wall,with a fireplace upstairs aswell, meaning that the chimney breast goes the whole way upto the attic.

Hope i have supplied enough info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i had similar issues with my fireplace when i went to install my stove. the fireplace was too narrow so i built the new pier next to the existing one and slid steel plates and angle iron from the new pier into the other side to support the brest. i then knocked down the old pier. to keep it all symetrical i continued the pier to the ceiling and faced the whole lot in red brick.
    heres a pic of the end result
    fireplace002.jpg

Advertisement