Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and interleaving?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:43pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since the upgrade from 3mb to 7mb my pings have doubled.
    A friend across the road has better pings than ever.
    Upon looking at his settings i notice he had interleaving off but mine is turned on.
    I really dont want to be talking to someone at the call center that hasnt got a clue what im talking about.
    How can i go about getting interleaving off as im guessing this is affecting my pings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi

Anyone on the 7.6 mb package upgrade got put on high interleaving hence your terrible pings! I doubt your friend is on the 7.6 package but the 3 MB one?

Neways iv rang them numerous times about it but they never got around to turning it off for me! I sent a email too to the press office asking them about interleaving and got a reply saying once all the upgrades are done there gona working on a plan to reduce overall latency, if you want my opinion the 7.6 connection will stay on that level of interleaving as it stabilises the connection, the only downfall is the increase in pingtimes!

Just to clarify , your friend isnt on the 7.6 meg package is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

you cant have interleaving off, just high or low.

anyone who has been upgraded > 3mb is on high
    3mb or lower are lower.

mine jumped to 100ish but have not had any noticable problems yet

i cant see them ever giving a different option for people on the 7.6 since it is close to the max allowable

Baneblade wrote: »
    you cant have interleaving off, just high or low.

anyone who has been upgraded > 3mb is on high
    3mb or lower are lower.

mine jumped to 100ish but have not had any noticable problems yet

i cant see them ever giving a different option for people on the 7.6 since it is close to the max allowable

wrong, you can have fastpath turned on, which gives the lowest pings possible

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

my friend works in eircom and he can change the interleaving on someones line between high and low but has never heard of fastpath

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Baneblade wrote: »
    my friend works in eircom and he can change the interleaving on someones line between high and low but has never heard of fastpath

Yup, deffo sounds like he's working for eircom so.

• Advertisement

hey cm:D

ye he deffo sounds like a eircom employee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This has also happened to me. My ping has shot up and my interleaving was on low for the last 4 years. I assume its on high now.

Whats the best phone number/email address to get this sorted without having to spend 2 hours on the phone to Bangalore while they tell me to reset my router?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just to clarify , your friend isnt on the 7.6 meg package is he?

Correct,hes on the 3meg right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Dcully wrote: »
    Correct,hes on the 3meg right now.

I'm on BT here and had the same problem. If you guys look at the main upgrade thread you'll see its happening to everybody pretty much. Any idea if BT as my ISP can do anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The problem here is that when your line is synced at its highest speed (essentially leaving a low SNR margin) - you will see errors - possibly a lot of them.

Interleaving can reduce the effects of these errors but causes ping times to increase, but generally leaves you with better throughput - its a trade off. In most cases people prefer throughput to latency (just see the speed test threads for confirmation :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though in reality, for web browsing, games, VOIP you want lower latency. Throughput with high latency only helps streaming and file transfer. If you are doing non-UDP transfer, very high latency offsets gain in speed. This is why Satellite 2-way can outperform HSDPA, because it doesn't actually use real TCP/IP over the link, but it's own protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Is there a way to increase Noise Margin. Since the upgrade mine is averaging about 7db, but I've seen it as low as 2db. Should I be concerned about this, as I haven't encountered any problems (yet)?

The latency is still down around 50-60ms - its still very possible to web browse, game and use voip over it - its no 600ms-800ms sat link :)

I agree that it'd be nice to have the choice - but I would imagine that there will be a lot more people ringing up the support lines asking where there X Mb of throughput is rather than why their latency is at 60ms...

Snaga wrote: »
    The latency is still down around 50-60ms - its still very possible to web browse, game and use voip over it - its no 600ms-800ms sat link :)

I agree that it'd be nice to have the choice - but I would imagine that there will be a lot more people ringing up the support lines asking where there X Mb of throughput is rather than why their latency is at 60ms...

50-60 is very poor tho, you should be expecting 10-15 ms ping times to irish servers, 20-25 to uk servers, 30-35 on dutch servers and 40-45 on german servers! This is with low interleaving on , such as a standard 3mb package, however on fastpath expected these ping times to be alot lower, possibly up to 15 ms lower!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Before I got upgraded to 7.6Mb I had "Fastpath" enabled (verified using DMT tool). Now I have interleaving set to high. To be honest, Eircom better get this sorted ASAP as it was the only reason I was staying with them. I can have a better ping than I have now and 20Mb broadband by switching to UPC/NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

So what's the best thing to do? Is there a point in ringing them to ask to switch your interleaving? Or is swapping down to 3mb the only way to go? (assuming swapping providers is not an option)

nuxxx wrote:
    50-60 is very poor tho, you should be expecting 10-15 ms ping times to irish servers, 20-25 to uk servers, 30-35 on dutch servers and 40-45 on german servers! This is with low interleaving on , such as a standard 3mb package, however on fastpath expected these ping times to be alot lower, possibly up to 15 ms lower!

Yes fastpath would improve things on certain lines, but on a line with a low SNR margin you will get lots of errors causing lost frames, making throughput poor and causing bad gaming and voip performance (UDP packets do not get resent when lost).

With ADSL, if your SNR margin is regularily dropping lower than 9db (likely with ADSL1 now with the increased speed) then your gonna have a bad time without interleaving.

Id much prefer a stable 60ms line than an error-filled-low-latency-but-high packetloss one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Currently pings are 60ms inside ireland, 100+ outside. It's just stupid trying to play fps games with that ping.

Id much prefer a stable 60ms line than an error-filled-low-latency-but-high packetloss one.

Ye your right it stabilises the line, and if your not a "serious" gaming it wont affect, judging from your comments your not. But for people who use for net for basically gaming and abit of downloading this is a massive problem, neways heres a email i sent about the problem

Dear ****

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding.

Broadband speed upgrades on eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products took place in the **** exchange over the weekend of 26th July. Our network designers are currently working on a solution to reduce overall latency and I would be happy to contact you again when an implementation date for this solution is finalised.

Best Regards

Press Officer

Sent: 24 July 2008 10:18
    To: Press_Office
    Subject: DSL Upgrades

Hi,

I currently have the 2 MB home package from eircom in the ***
    exchange.
    Are the upgrades going ahead this weekend? And if so,
    will everyone going to 3mb be put on fastpath as interleaving causes high latency and ping times.

For people going to 7.6 meg(which my line can easily handle) will increased interleaving be placed on the line?

Regards,

Currently pings are 60ms inside ireland, 100+ outside. It's just stupid trying to play fps games with that ping.

Then ring them up and see if they will lower the interleaving rate or turn it off for you. Your line may well be able to handle fastpath, if it doesnt work out you can always get them to put it back on or see if they will lower your sync speed.

At least then you get to make an informed decision based on your lines capability.

@nuxx : That looks promising - hopefully they will drop the level of interleaving to a more acceptable level. (Though expect the number of threads on here about unstable lines to increase! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Posts in this thread should be trimmed and the thread itself stickied imo. Going to be contacting BT on Weds / Thursday regarding interleaving. If they aren't willing to change it for me i'm going with NTL, simple as. Getting double the latency after a supposed upgrade is a joke and trying to game like this is an even bigger joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Agreed - its impossible to play FPS games now.

Im glad to see others are in a similar situation to me. Not everyone wants such a massive throughput of bandwidth unannounced with the associated latency issues.

For anyone that's not following my thread on the Games forum:
    So I rang Eircom, asked what they were at. Didn't really get anywhere useful as he told me to ping their DNS server (was about 39ms) and he said they don't address issues unless its above 75ms.
    So I said surely he knows the upgrades are causing problems. Told him I wanted it fixed for gaming. Mentioned interleaving. And he said he has changed it and to check in about 20 minutes.
    So I wait with baited breath :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Cool, let us know if it works.

307765555.png

So that's what my stats are like now. It seems to me like he's put me on the 3mb(which was the 2mb) package. While I was ranting at them at some point I did say I just want it back the way it was so that's what he seems to have done. Or would turning down interleaving lower my speeds? Do to my unique situation of my Dad's company paying for the broadband I don't care, I have my ping back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Well if it only takes <= 20 minutes to get 'downgraded' then it would seem to be a viable solution for those of us that require better latency and not so much bandwidth.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Champ wrote: »
    Well if it only takes <= 20 minutes to get 'downgraded' then it would seem to be a viable solution for those of us that require better latency and not so much bandwidth.:)

Downgrading moves you from the 24:1 contention ratio on the 7.6mbit package to 48:1 on the 3mbit package. It will slow down more in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

...(UDP packets do not get resent when lost).

Me too. Unlike TCP, UDP is a connectionless protocol - whats the use in having low latency if a significant number of packets aren't getting to the destination!

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Downgrading moves you from the 24:1 contention ratio on the 7.6mbit package to 48:1 on the 3mbit package.
    Contention ratios here. The 3mb eircom home plus has a ratio of 24:1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Downgrading moves you from the 24:1 contention ratio on the 7.6mbit package to 48:1 on the 3mbit package. It will slow down more in the evenings.

I thought that only the 1Mb basic package had contention of 48:1 - all the rest e.g. pre-upgrade 2Mb, 3Mb were at 24:1. I pretty sure this is the case as I remember checking it when I ordered my 2Mbit (now 3Mbit) Eircom bundle.

Advertisement