Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and interleaving?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i see alot of people here saying they would prefer higher latency than unstable packets and packet loss, and the others saying they want low pings and dont care about there bandwidth, well fact is we shouldnt be in this position in the first place.

Eircoms infrastructure is pathetic and theyve really messed these upgrades up bigtime imo. There not gona move 7.6mb down to fastpath or low interleaving imho because that will cause massive problems and create unstability to a big degree on there "network".

Im staying on my 3MB until they sort out this mess, simply because its the only "decent" service out here atm, and i dont expect them to fix these problems in the near future! I was lied to on the phone sayin i was being placed of fastpath when the upgrades happen, still on interleaving, how a company in a shambles like eircom control the main infrastructure is really just beyond me.

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

How do you know what package you are on though?

I should be on 7.6 package, seen as westport should have been upgraded on the 9th.

If i'm on the 7.6 and drop to the 3mb will my pings get better?
    My modems(tried 2) dont so the interleaving option.

Also it seems the pings get lower the further away you go. Dublin gives me 125+ms but look at this!

308054983.png

Calebmcd wrote: »
    How do you know what package you are on though?

I should be on 7.6 package, seen as westport should have been upgraded on the 9th.

If i'm on the 7.6 and drop to the 3mb will my pings get better?
    My modems(tried 2) dont so the interleaving option.

Also it seems the pings get lower the further away you go. Dublin gives me 125+ms but look at this!

308054983.png

Use a dos prompt to check pings , speedtest isnt anywhere near accurate..

WinXP/2000/98 -> start -> run -> type cmd -> ping www.boards.ie

Vista -> start -> all programs -> accessories -> windows command prompt -> ping www.boards.ie

By the looks of your stats your still on 3 mb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im not sure what to do.
    My pings have increased ingame but if im honest i see no difference to the actual gameplay.
    Ive gone from 20-30ms to 60-ish ms on my clans DODS server but i see no difference apart from the ping the game is reporting.

If i drop back down to the 3 meg package will it take long to change down,can i forsee hassle based on past crappy experience with eircom?

Then again should i wait and see if they sort the latency issue? not that im expecting them to.

St0n3d wrote: »
    Off the phone with Eircom Tech support.

Seems every package from Pro upwards has high interleaving with no option to change to low.

So only the home starter and plus has the option for low.

Agent let it slip, that if Eircom get enough requests to turn it low, they will put the option in for the pro packages..

I think its only fair we have the option, the facts of packet loss, stability arent an issue, its lack of choice !

Please people, if you want the choice to have lower pings, ring tech support 1890260260 and request it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

It took a 10 minute phone call and then 20 minutes after I was dropped down. Now I didn't swap plans or anything because I don't care, I just said fix it. So maybe if there are contracts and stuff it might be complicated.
    You can always swap back if they fix the latency at the higher level but that could take awhile.
    In all honesty why bother to swap if you don't see any problem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Seifer wrote: »
    Contention ratios here. The 3mb eircom home plus has a ratio of 24:1.

The new 3mb product has a contention ratio of 48:1.

You can find the details at www.eircomwholesale.ie (look in the BitStream PDFs) the 3mb product is called Bitstream Expand IP.

Why is that relevant to me? I didn't order anything from there or with those names so what makes you think I have it?

*double post*

Why is that relevant to me? I didn't order anything from there or with those names so what makes you think I have it?

A: Hes correcting your mistake

B: I didnt no that the contention ratio had increased to thanks for that, your not the only one watching thread seifer..

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote:
    A: Hes correcting your mistake

B: I didnt no that the contention ratio had increased to thanks for that, your not the only one watching thread seifer..
    He quoted me so I'll take it he's talking to me.
    What mistake? I linked clearly to where it shows the current contention ratios for Eircom's products. He linked to the front page of some eircom division that is "exclusively devoted to serving Ireland's telecommunications community." and told me to go find some reference in a pdf somewhere?

Originally Posted by Seifer
    Contention ratios here. The 3mb eircom home plus has a ratio of 24:1.

Wrong , new 3mb product has 48:1 Contention, like the old 2mb product had.
    Hence why u were corrected and why you shouldnt be having a hissy fit.

I can only assume this is the pdf he meant as there are loads but pages 6 and 8. One shows before July 18th and the other after. Both show the Bitstream expand IP product as having a ratio of 48:1. So that document shows nothing as changing anyway.
    On Eircom's site if you search for "contention" and click on the only result then it shows the 3mb home plus as having 24:1 contention ratio.
    So at best you have two conflicting links.
    nuxxx wrote:
    I didnt no that the contention ratio had increased to thanks for that,
    nuxxx wrote:
    Which is it my contradictory friend?

what?
    the contention increased from 24/1 -> 48/1
    I told the guy who corrected you i didnt no that and thanks.
    Dont get your point.

Lol on a roll.
    nuxxx wrote:
    I didnt no that the contention ratio had increased
    nuxxx wrote:
    nuxxx wrote:
    the contention increased from 24/1 -> 48/1
    Did it increase or stay the same?

I have said 3 times it has increased.

Please dont make silly comments , relise you made a mistake deal with it. I just rang the technical department and they have confirmed on 3MB its 48/1 contention.

naxxx wrote:
    I have said 3 times it has increased.
    This kind of getting embarassing but I'll give it one last go. Look at the middle quote from the last post. You say "like the old 2mb product had.". This statement implies they were the same.
    The second point, if you are citing bk's pdfs as evidence. They too state that there was no increase as the Bitstream expand IP product had the same ratio before and after July 18th as can you can see on pages 6 and 8 of the pdf I linked.
    naxxx wrote:
    I just rang the technical department and they have confirmed on 3MB its 48/1 contention.
    And I'm willing to accept your word on that but the fact remains that on eircoms site it says 24:1.

before the upgrades 2MB had a contention ratio of 48/1 and 3MB had a 24/1 contention ratio.
    After the upgrades the 3MB package now has a contention ratio of 48/1 which is the same as the OLD 2mb package

Neways goodbye, no point continuing this silly discussion. Lets just hope they fix the interleaving problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

nuxxx wrote: »
    before the upgrades 2MB had a contention ratio of 48/1 and 3MB had a 24/1 contention ratio.
    After the upgrades the 3MB package now has a contention ratio of 48/1 which is the same as the OLD 2mb package

Nuxx I think you're wrong on this. Before the upgrade the 2Mbit package had 24/1 contention ratio same as the 3Mbit package. It was only the 1Mbit packages that had contention of 48/1. I remember checking this at the time I ordered my bband as I was ordering it for tele-working and remote access to work!:confused:

business packages for remote access such as vpn clients and ipassconnect may differ. Anyways if im wrong im wrong, i dont mind no point dwelling on it. Im just hoping they solve the latency issues, as my line is capable of 12mb ADSL yet im a massive gamer.
    Puts me in a difficult position. Never had contention problems since i left digiweb dsl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i was on the 3 meg checked on the speed test site yesterday it said i was now on 4 meg dl and 512 upload..weird.

ill plug my old router back in tonight to check it (switched for a wireless) on that.

also, over the last few evening, my eircom connection drops about 20 times.. no lie.

yesterday for example, not a single dc for the entire day i was on cod4, then from about 6 onwards, i get dc every 20 minutes.

wtf is that all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

zugvogel wrote: »
    Nuxx I think you're wrong on this. Before the upgrade the 2Mbit package had 24/1 contention ratio same as the 3Mbit package. It was only the 1Mbit packages that had contention of 48/1. I remember checking this at the time I ordered my bband as I was ordering it for tele-working and remote access to work!:confused:

I'm nearly certain your wrong in that statement, I ordered the 3Mbit only in february of this yr for the 24:1 contention, both 1 and 2Mbit were 48:1. I'm sure only the top residential package had a 24:1 contention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm nearly certain your wrong in that statement, I ordered the 3Mbit only in february of this yr for the 24:1 contention, both 1 and 2Mbit were 48:1. I'm sure only the top residential package had a 24:1 contention
    Indeed. Any info I can remember was that only the former 3 mbit (now up to 7.6 mbit) product had 24:1 contention.

Nuxx and PogMoThoin were correct. As always, if a post is going to criticise someone's info, the poster would want to have their facts straight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cheers To_be_confirmed, was certain i was right without being able to back it up with proof

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Cheers To_be_confirmed, was certain i was right without being able to back it up with proof

I had a look at my records to see if I had anything to confirm the contention on the 2Mbit package when I ordered it in Dec 07. Can't find anything so you must be right. I use a secure citrix client for remote access and it would work fine on 1Mbit DSL link (it will even work okisk on dialup) and I thought the only reason I went for the 2Mbit was for the lower contention but 48 to 1 it is! Sorry chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the current 1 and 3 mb lines are definatly 48:1 and 7.6 is 24:1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

He quoted me so I'll take it he's talking to me.
    What mistake? I linked clearly to where it shows the current contention ratios for Eircom's products. He linked to the front page of some eircom division that is "exclusively devoted to serving Ireland's telecommunications community." and told me to go find some reference in a pdf somewhere?

Forget about what is on the Eircom site, it is out of date.

www.eircomwholsale.ie is Eircoms wholesale site where Comreg require Eircom to post the technical details of all their products.

This is the PDF you want: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/bitpricelistv4%203.pdf

page 6

Let me break it down for you, prior to 17th of July you had:

Bitstream Swift IP – up to 3072/384 kb/s RA 24:1(*) 16.95
    Bitstream Expand IP – up to 2048/256 kb/s RA 48:1(*) 11.55

from 18th of July you now have:

Bitstream Swift IP – up to 7616/672 kb/s RA 24:1(*) 16.95
    Bitstream Expand IP – up to 3072/384 kb/s RA 48:1(*) 11.55

Can't be more clear then that.

BTW that last figure (16.95 and 11.55) are the wholesale price of these products.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i was on the 3 meg checked on the speed test site yesterday it said i was now on 4 meg dl and 512 upload..weird.

ill plug my old router back in tonight to check it (switched for a wireless) on that.

also, over the last few evening, my eircom connection drops about 20 times.. no lie.

yesterday for example, not a single dc for the entire day i was on cod4, then from about 6 onwards, i get dc every 20 minutes.

wtf is that all about.

What are you line stats? sounds like snr probs.

cheers lads
    nice to no i was right :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ulysses1

I'm not sure if everyone will agree, but, I think Eircom and Bt have bitten off more than they can chew here.

Since being a customer of the old 512kbps service back in the day, I think it's safe to say that the speed increases have been pretty well received. It's useless however if the internal network cannot cope with it. The upgrades should have been more gradual rather than doubling the throughput. Having the interleaving on at 64 is horrendous and if I were a new customer I would feel duped. Still, after being a Esat/Bt customer for years I've come to expect nothing else.

Advertisement