Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skateboarding???

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'll acknowledge this is a bit inflammatory, but given that most climbers call climbing an 'adventure' sport what the hell possesses skateboarders to call their one an 'extreme' sport?

That just doesn't seem to cut the mustard, sorry...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

whats so adventurous about driving to dalkey quarry, walking 3 minutes and queuing to climb a route? That doesnt cut the mustard yo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

FX Meister wrote: »
    whats so adventurous about driving to dalkey quarry, walking 3 minutes and queuing to climb a route? That doesnt cut the mustard yo

:D

Well, we do sometimes get this very scary thing called 'the boat' to Wales. If we're still in one piece after that we might scamper up a v diff that a dog could do... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Extreme is more a term coined in the late 80's/early 90's as it was relatively new to pop culture and nobody had ever seen guys on skateboard in mainstream media. The mainstream media being things like "The X Games" labelling it an extreme sport. It depends on how you want to look at it. I'd consider free climbers to be pretty extreme (no ropes climbing is pretty much as extreme as you can get).

Maybe we a numbed to the sights of people throwing themsleves down huge sets of steps/handrails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Curlsz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiAj4jt7fs There you go, thats extreme.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Extreme is more a term coined in the late 80's/early 90's as it was relatively new to pop culture and nobody had ever seen guys on skateboard in mainstream media. The mainstream media being things like "The X Games" labelling it an extreme sport. It depends on how you want to look at it. I'd consider free climbers to be pretty extreme (no ropes climbing is pretty much as extreme as you can get).

Maybe we a numbed to the sights of people throwing themsleves down huge sets of steps/handrails.

That's interesting stuff... Dunno how solo climbing got the mixed up with free climbing, but free climbing pretty much means climbing using gear as a safety measure rather than helping you up.

Solo climbing is actually done by way more climbers than you'd think, including yours truly. It's not really that 'extreme' when you consider the amount of training that goes into it though, and personally I solo about 3 - 4 grades below what I can physically do - ie way less dangerous than you might think.

Yeah, fair enough re steps and handrails - I don't think I could work up the balls to do that tbh :)

Before someone reads this and thinks solo, or any other type of climbing is easy and then breaks their back and sues me...

Get some professional instruction before doing any type of climbing. Climbing is a dangerous activity that may result in serious injury or death.

• Advertisement

Curlsz wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiAj4jt7fs There you go, thats extreme.

*respect*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

what the hell possesses skateboarders to call their one an 'extreme' sport?

Zillion stair handrails and stupid sized 'mega ramps'. I don't consider 'climbing' to be all that badass either tbh.

But lets just agree that we don't understand the hardcoreness of each other's sports :)

raah! wrote: »
    Zillion stair handrails and stupid sized 'mega ramps'. I don't consider 'climbing' to be all that badass either tbh.

But lets just agree that we don't understand the hardcoreness of each other's sports :)

Yeah, I actually didn't think of that until it was pointed out. The only such angled things I'd consider going down at breakneck pace are slopes with loads of nice snow on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

As pete pointed out the term extreme didn't exist until some ad men in shiny suits dreamt it up to shift some more fizzy sugar poison to the zombies. It's not a skaters term it's a business mans term for skateboarding and many other things they reckon are extreme.Be wary of anyone that uses the term and isn't taking the P155.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zach morris

I wouldn't call skateboarding extreme, or a sport. Sure some people do some death defying stunts but that's not the only category involved with skateboarding. Some people like to just go out, hang with friends and skate through the streets as a hobby. No life threatening or competitive interests at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would call that a sport - physical activity being done for fun and joy without aim to get any profit from that.
    And I hope I will join such group of people with four wheels on piece of bamboo very soon :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

climbing is extream to any one who doesnt do it !
    would you go down dalky hill on a skate board the fact of the matter is skateboarding is as extream as climbing an E7 graded climb Pumped baby................

different sports different attidues its like when i slag golf player's its boreing but till you actually have a go suddenly its not so boring...

Advertisement