Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good vodka froze in the freezer..

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I had been keeping my Finlandia vodka in my freezer for about a week and it was acting just fine until recently . .. Went to get it this evening and it was frozen solid! I can't understand why it would do this! Vodka does not freeze! UNless is is contaminated of course, which it wasn't as I have been the only one drinking it. I have left it out to liquify again and it has done just that, but is okay to drink? I mean has the quality been dropped by this?

And of course, why has this happened!? I have been driking directly from the bottle often so I suppose there is the possibility that my saliva could have mixed with the vodka in the bottle and caused the freezing.. Is that possible?

Thansk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does someone else have access to the freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

A bottle of normal vodka ( 40% strength ) would freeze at about -30C - most domestic freezers freeze at about -18C ( the newer American ones can be set to -25C ) .

I would suspect that your vodka has been "topped up" with H2O to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Nobody could have possibly had access to my vodka or the freezer.

Okay so say it is contaminated with water (still can't understand how that could have happened).. Is it okay to drink? I don't want it to go to waste.

And apologies.. I am a bit drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I'd imagine it would be fine to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hendrix89 wrote: »

Careful with that water now:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Okay so say it is contaminated with water (still can't understand how that could have happened).. Is it okay to drink? I don't want it to go to waste.
    It would take quite a bit of water to bring the freezing temperature up that much, certainly the saliva explanation is not really realistic. Vodka is about 60% water anyway.

You wouldn't have been trying to recreate a wine from water miracle by any chance would you?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nobody could have possibly had access to my vodka or the freezer.

Do you live on your own? I have had it go slushy and it was definitely housemates watering it down. Of course they denied it until I pulled out my alcoholometer (hydrometer calibrated to alcohol) and knew it. I can taste % pretty well and can taste diluted stuff straight off. I go crazy at that crap, if you want it just f**king nick it, I like it straight and they may as well have just poured it down the sink, watering down ruins a neat drink for me, but it is certainly OK to drink. Most vodka is distilled to 90%+ and diluted in the distillery.

Captain Morgans spiced is 35% and goes slushy in my freezer. (or did the thirsty kunts dilute that too!)

Advertisement