Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three rock - pine plantation

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Does anyone know what type of pines are being grown on three rock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I haven't been up there recently, but the vast majority of Coillte plantations are Sitka Spruce (i.e. not a pine of any kind), so if they're replanting then that's probably what they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka_spruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goonmaster

oh right,
    well i found this link that says its a variety of conifers: Sitka spruce, Japanese larch, European larch, Scots pine, Monterey pine and lodgepole pine

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:6dAZmC-MLv8J:www.coillte.ie/recreation/recreation_sites/dublin/ticknock/+%22three+rock%22+pine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Given the extensive tree felling there over the last 2 years, it would be nice if Collite where to replant the area with a mix of conifer/decideous types instead of the typical densely packed, single type "all in a row" tree planting they always seem to do.

Initially I welcomed the opening up of views in the area but i'm now of the opinion its just to bare looking up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

goonmaster wrote: »
    oh right,
    well i found this link that says its a variety of conifers: Sitka spruce, Japanese larch, European larch, Scots pine, Monterey pine and lodgepole pine

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:6dAZmC-MLv8J:www.coillte.ie/recreation/recreation_sites/dublin/ticknock/+%22three+rock%22+pine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

thanks man!
    That link probably refers to what was there before they clear felled a large swathe of it recently. I guess it'd be (like most Coillte plantations) predominantly Sitka with a smattering of larches, and any other trees will be quite rare. Generally if they're felling plantations of Sitka or larch, they'll leave any other trees they find, especially deciduous trees or Scots pine, although since these have grown up surrounded by Sitka spruce, they're usually very tall and skinny, have very little foliage on the lower parts, and are very, very exposed and you have to wonder whether it actually makes any sense to save them. It also makes the whole area look even more like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb than it does already after the felling contractors have moved in.

It would be better, like Dogmatix says, to replant the area with a proper varied mix of conifers and deciduous trees. The commercial value of most of these Sitka plantations is very low anyway, and for an area like Three Rock, so close to Dublin, the amenity value is far higher. Better to just admit the fact and treat it as such.

Advertisement