Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striped Raid Question

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm thinking of investing in two identical SATA drives which I hope to set up as a striped array. Logically, I would think that having data equally split across 2 drives should give me a 100% speed increase (ie. twice as fast) at loading data. I've never used one of these arrays, so I wonder what type of performance increase I could expect? (I have 4gb ram)

Also, would Ghost or other such software be able to take all the data from my current C: drive and transplant it neatly onto the new striped array, and do it in the correct way?

Thanks,
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ive done it before and the performance boost isnt exactly huge. It's definetly not 100% Just buy a Velicoraptor HDD if you want an ultra fast drive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I put my two 150Gb raptors in Raid 0 using the Nvidia software and the results were about a 5 - 10% increase in performance.
    Apparantly you can get better results if you use a dedicated controller card.
    I have never used one of these but perhaps someone on here can tell you of their experiences, the software RAID is not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ive done it before and the performance boost isnt exactly huge. It's definetly not 100% Just buy a Velicoraptor HDD if you want an ultra fast drive.:D

Avoid the Raptors. Heres my 2x36Gb Raptors in Raid 0 compared to a 1Tb Samsung f1 sata

61214.png

61215.png

Performance boost is about 15% over a single hd, not worth it IMO, (I've these Raptors 3 yrs now tho). Just opt for a single F1 sata, these are the ones with the 32MB cache

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Performance boost is about 15% over a single hd, not worth it IMO, (I've these Raptors 3 yrs now tho). Just opt for a single F1 sata, these are the ones with the 32MB cache

Excellent info, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna order a 1tb F1 right now! :)

Advertisement