Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal SNR after speed upgrade

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I used to have the 3mbit Eircom DSL package but they upgraded it to 7.6 and it has brought my SNR down to around 10 or 12. every now and then it will go to 9, then 0 and -2 and stay disconnected for a minute or so. This used to happen before but not nearly as often. I`m really close to the exchange and line attenuation is only 8/9

its always downstream that is the problem and gets me disconnected. never the upstream. I wouldnt mind if they changed my downstream speed to 5120 if it would improve the SNR

i have no freaking idea where the noise is coming from. even one day when we had no power i connected the router to a generator and checked the SNR and it was just as bad as usual. would eircom do anything about this if i called them? even if it is just reducing the downstream speed a bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Is your modem a Netopia 2247 per chance? There are apparently some known issues with bad SNR on that unit. If you can get your hands on another modem and try that it should solve your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its a 3347. don't have any spare dsl modems laying around :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

unplug everything for line incl filter , plug in 3347 to main socket and what happens ??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

if you ring support the will put you on 5 or 6 mb only takes 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

as far as i know its supposed to reduce remote and local by about 3( which would leave me f***** if it ever happens )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    unplug everything for line incl filter , plug in 3347 to main socket and what happens ??

done that. snr stays roughly the same. it actually does most of the time, and then it takes a dive. now its plugged in without filter. 2 phones and a caller display still connected with a filter. removing them doesn't make much of a difference

it only disconnected once today although downstream SNR is now 9/9.5

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

It might be very well worth trying a different router.
    Have a look at this thread - mainly the last half of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338477&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I had the same problems with the Netopia router.
    I picked up a brand new Sky router from Ebay (it's a Netgear DG834GT in disguise :) ) for 20 GBP incl. shipping.
    I flashed it with a Netgear firmware then with a modified DMT Team one.
    Happy days ever since :D
    These are my line stats now:

Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 27.0 db 14.0 db
    Noise Margin 10.3 db 12.0 db

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

gibbon75 wrote: »
    Sky router from Ebay (it's a Netgear DG834GT in disguise :) ) for 20 GBP incl. shipping.

Thats a great price! AFAIK the Netgear DG834GT specifically (as oppposed to other netgear models) and Speedtouch 585 series both use the same broadcom chipsets. They certainly seem to be able to work better than the netopia 2247 in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Although I have to mention that before I got the Netgear I managed to improve my SNR:
    I was walking around the house with a radio tuned to AM 612 Mhz (got this idea from a UK forum,where this lad had serious SNR problems due to his neighbour's faulty PC PSU...) to find noise sources.
    It turned that my missus had 4(!!!)phone chargers pluged in around the house:eek: I've unplugged those bastards and I've gained 5-6 db !

• Advertisement
Advertisement