Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where i could find an ac charger for a laptop

• 11-08-2008 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

for a dell laptop mein stopped working,
    does anyone know where i could get one and how much they cost?
    could i get one second hand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You can get a universal one in Maplins if you like. Just check the power ratings are the same. It comes with interchangeable power plugs to fit the various laptops. As Dell is such a popular make there is almost definitely going to be one there to fit your model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Have a look on eBay - Loads of them there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

These are available in PCworld and other stores.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

thats like over 100 euros i was looking for somthing cheaper than 50 euros which is the cost of a replacment one on dell
    i saw some on ebay most of them are from hong kong they say they are adaptable with my laptop inspiration 1501 but would it really be if its from hong kong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

BlueDragon wrote: »
    thats like over 100 euros i was looking for somthing cheaper than 50 euros which is the cost of a replacment one on dell
    i saw some on ebay most of them are from hong kong they say they are adaptable with my laptop inspiration 1501 but would it really be if its from hong kong?

i've got one off ebay previously and it worked perfectly, you wont be able to get one from maplins as dell have power rates which run to .5's, and maplins dont have universals to power dell laptops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I bought one of these Targus units. It works from the mains or from a car cigar lighter which is very useful. PC world sell this one for about 100 euro and the lower model - without the car lighter feature - for about 75 euro. Both come with a range of connectors and seem well made. No problems with mine so far.

The output voltage is decided by the keyed plugs that fit to the end of the output cable so you can't accidently set it to a wrong voltage.

I've read reports (somewhere on boards.ie I think) of knock-off chargers carrying the brand name of the laptop maker but padded with metal strips to add weight to a flimsy power board. Buyer beware !!!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

corban wrote: »
    i've got one off ebay previously and it worked perfectly, you wont be able to get one from maplins as dell have power rates which run to .5's, and maplins dont have universals to power dell laptops...

whats maplins?
    so would it be ok to buy from hong kong?
    im buying it in a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I also got one from Maplins ,works sound and has a cable to charge a nokia phone at the same time which is handy.Worth the cash because all the different connections,its just handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Plums

If you still need one of these, I have a new genuine Dell one. If you have paypal we could do a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clearya

I ordered one from Ebay last Friday, the person I bought it from ships around the world (and provide the appropriate AC power cord). I was in PC world before that and it seems people were returning their €150 universal chargers cos they weren't happy with them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

id get an original replacement where possible, especially if its 50 euro. those universal ones are really flimsy, ive had 3 ive had to bring back to maplin due to the connection at the top breaking.

Advertisement