Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you picked up any Aussie/Kiwi lingo

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Does anybody find themselves using the local slang in conversations. For me I dread the day I will start using "mate" and "too easy" and lose my culchie accent.

I've been in Sydney now 2 and a half years and live with my Aussie GF and am most of the time surrounded by Aussies, so it's only a matter of time I suppose.

I was speakin to another Irish fella the other day and he kept saying mate this and mate that. Do people realise when they do this at all at all I wonder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I refuse to conform. In fact, the more I'm here, the thicker I put on my Dublin accent so as not to lose it.

My gf on the other hand is really becoming one of 'them'. Using phrases like "Stacked it" (to fall over) on a regular basis. I've actually had to ask her on several occassions what a sentence means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's funny listening to Jim Stynes talking in his mixed up Irish Aussie accent! Sounds all wrong!

Things I've heard (but refuse to start using):
    Seedy - means hungover
    Easy as - this obviously means easy as something really easy, but no one ever specifies what!
    Roadie - a beer that you take with you when walking from A to B.
    Flattie - a flat mate.
    Duna -not sure how this is spelt, mean Duvet.
    Capsicum - this is a pepper. No idea where this word came from!

Also the whole Pot, Schooner, Stubbie lingo. Think I have the hang of that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, i refuse to lose my accent (though i've never quite had a fixed accent in the first place, very easily influenced by who i talk to, and doenst help spending a substantial amount of childhood between both dublin accents, kildare, donegal and english accents), but some phrases just dont sound right in an irish accent. adding 'bro' to the end of sentences is soooo common here, i do have to make a concentrated effort against saying it, just doesnt sound right.

im only here (nz) for 7 months now, and some phrases, i have to admit, i love.
    munted (drunk/shitfaced/plastered), is awesome.
    no worries. soooooo much better than my former 'no probs'. sorta picked up 'no worries mate' (said in real slowed down, stoner voice), and have had to change 'mate' to my more usual 'man'.

hmm, i know there's tonnes more...

'bucks' instead of 'dollars' (though i do still say 'quid' quite a lot).
    loser cruiser for the bus...

i refuse to call crisps 'chips'. though i do have to refer to them as 'chippies' in work.
    i deliberately pretend to be confused when chips are mentioned, even when i know damned well which ones he means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

that NZ bro thing gets a bit old, I'm in aussie now but live with kiwis and I wish they'd bloody stop calling me and everyone bro constantly. Apparently it used to be just a maori thing and then the whites started at it. Now the maoris say "cuz" too but the whites are starting to say that too. Sigh.

they're not whites... they're pakehas.

also kai. better word than food. and puku. better word than belly.

• Advertisement

they look pretty white to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I say no worries all the time.
    I am starting to get a twang (according to my family)

Other words I have started to say
    Pay out - slag someone off
    How you going - Howya
    Thongs - meaning flip flops
    Arvo - afternoon

ah. thongs. i love that one. not a kiwi thing though. i still say flipflops. refuse to say the kiwi version of 'jandals'. arvo, i use in text, cos it's quicker, but just doesnt sound right in my accent, i dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Ah yes the slang over here is pretty good,for example:

Crash hot - "I'm not feeling too crash hot today"..??? it makes no sense!

Heaps - this is used everywhere,- "oh that movie was heaps good"

Rocked up - "So I rocked up to work to find that I wasn't rostered on"

Stack hat - a bicycle helmet

A music video is a "video clip"

These are just observations and are not used by me at all!! :D

Oh and hello new forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I say awesome a lot more than I used to. Apart from that I consciously don't say kiwi things. I refuse to call crisps chips or flip flops jandals. I also refuse to call the off licence the liquor store, it will always be the offie.

Sometimes at work I have to explain some of the phrases I use. There's some things you say that you'd ever realise are Irish! Like "giving out" i.e. he was bold so I gave out to him. They haven't heard of that here it's telling off or nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh I just remembered the one that really shits me - "Sic". Arrggghhh it's an awful word! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ifumust82 wrote: »
    Rocked up - "So I rocked up to work to find that I wasn't rostered on"

I've started to use this too :)

watna wrote: »
    I say awesome a lot more than I used to. Apart from that I consciously don't say kiwi things. I refuse to call crisps chips or flip flops jandals. I also refuse to call the off licence the liquor store, it will always be the offie.

Sometimes at work I have to explain some of the phrases I use. There's some things you say that you'd ever realise are Irish! Like "giving out" i.e. he was bold so I gave out to him. They haven't heard of that here it's telling off or nothing!

grrr!
    liquor store! bottle shop! crap! it's the offo, full stop.

i said awesome a lot before i came over here anyway.
    giving out is one ive obviously come across a lot with my work, so id forgotten that one at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bro
    Sweet as

Sweet as bro.

Thongs

eh bro

and prob loads more

thongs in nz?!

and yeah, id forgotten sweet as. ive been using that since before i moved over here (2years of talking to a kiwi every day will do that to ya :P ).

i think 'hows it goin?' as a greeting is quite common here that ive picked up a bit.

but we say how's it going in ireland anyway?!! I can't say the "as" thing and take myself seriously. I really don't think you pick up accents/sayings unless you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

thongs in nz?!

and yeah, id forgotten sweet as. ive been using that since before i moved over here (2years of talking to a kiwi every day will do that to ya :P ).

i think 'hows it goin?' as a greeting is quite common here that ive picked up a bit.

the most annoying greeting I keep hearing is g'day, g'day. It seems you have to say it twice or you're just not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

yup...... jandals/thongs.
    more jandals, but still get the thongs

never heard g'day twice, or thongs in nz... maybe its a north island thing ;)

heard some terms for weed ive never come across before, quite an awkward few moments there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I find myself using the phrase "what's the go" when talking to Aussies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Well I drive a Ute

Well I drive a Ute

Do you wear those gay austalian rule football tshirts too???;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Me? Change the things I say? Never.

Sure, I'd crack the shits if some bogan fresh out of the back of a divvy van decided to put shit on me over the way I speak. Fair dinkum, I'd probably go him. Immediately after that I imagine I'll be on the way to shoppo for 25 Winnie Blues, a bottle of piss and a new pair of moccos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Huh?!? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

*Kol* wrote: »
    Do you wear those gay austalian rule football tshirts too???;):D

Hey I wear one of them in Ireland.:mad:

Hey I wear one of them in Ireland.:mad:

oops!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I suppose some people tend to pick up accents more than others. e.g. Ronnie Whelan, but Niall Quinn still has more or less his full Irish accent.
    After living in Italy for 2 years, I noticed myself picking up a different way of saying things, a different rhythym, tone of voice. But that's well gone now I'm back in paddyland. What I would do is use local slang if it made it easier to be understood. e.g instead of saying "pass me that yolk there...", I'd say something else.
    Can't imagine myself saying "servo" "shoppo" if I was living in Oz though..that;s too much of a variation. "sunnies" is a good one, I would use, tis handy one..
    I bet most of you in Oz have taken on the e.g. "How good is that?" "How hot is it today?" instead of saying "it's hot"...

i like the name liqour store

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i like the name liqour store

Its the Bottlo. Not the offie (irish), not the liquor store (american).

• Advertisement

ive yet to hear anyone put an 'o' at the end of it though.

other great words/phrases...

primo! - excellent, great, awesome, stylish
    no drama - same as no worries
    over that - sick of that.

i was a bit confused when a mate was telling me he was so over paying his mortgage... i hadnt copped initally that he was still paying it...

Advertisement