Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad start to monday morning - Bumper to bumper

Options
  • 11-08-2008 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Hey allz.

I was reversing out of my drive and I managed to skim my friends cars bumper. It's painted so I scratched some of the paint work. Guessing respray job :( Just wondering what the ball part figure is for this the car is a Hyundai coupe. :(:( :eek:

Cheers.
    X

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Depends totally on how big and bad the damage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I literally just skimmed it... rubbed it... there wasn't any impact like a shunt. I had to leave to work so I didn't get a good chance to check it out in detail its probably the size of a hand though. My car doesn't look to bad but there was some red paint on it and my car is silver :S

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If there's no dent it may polish out. Compound the area effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

The missus drives a celica and her bumber was skimmed last week. The garages around here have been quoting her from the four to five hundred euro mark to remove, strip, respray and replace.

Bit pricey =/ (That's all dealer garages though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

oeb wrote: »
    The missus drives a celica and her bumber was skimmed last week. The garages around here have been quoting her from the four to five hundred euro mark to remove, strip, respray and replace.

Bit pricey =/ (That's all dealer garages though)

ouch... im hoping the owner will shop around a bit... but i won't put it through insurance so less is best. But my dumb ass fault! :mad:

I don't think it will buff out... What would be the recommended product for "cleaning" up something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Clean up your own car and rub some blue paint on your friend's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

You would be supprised what will actually buff out. I got skimmed by a bus recently, the drivers front wing looked destroyed afterwards. Most of it was just paint from the bus though. It still needs to be resprayed, but it looks 100x better now that it's cleaned.

Keep in mind, if your car is silver, paint from your car on hus bumber is going to be very difficult to tell apart from scratches. Give it a good clean with a damp cloth and you will better be able to asses the damage.

I think the majority of the work involved in this is that the bumber will have to be removed and reattached, which is apparently a bigger job than I thought (Judging from the missus' celicia anyway).

In motor shops you can get paint to cover scratches like this, but from what I have read here by people with loads more knowlage than you or I, keep away from them =)

Advertisement