Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On-site treatment in limestone/karst area

• 11-08-2008 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I am looking to self build on a site in western Roscommon. From personal experience I know there are a few limestone features in the area (e.g. swallow hole), though none within approx 500m of site, and that thi smay cause problems from a treament point of view.

I'm just a bit unsure as to the type of wastewater treatment I'll be looking to put in. I know in the end I'll have to get a professional in, but before that can anyone tell me what kind of system I might be looking at.

There is over 2m of subsoil before you hit bedrock on the site.

Just wondering which treatment systems (prsuming a septic tank won`t suffice) are best suited in limestone areas?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There can be various types of subsoils and also the water table plays a big part. You need to get a site assessment carried out and then and only then will you know what type of system will be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 no1donjuan

you answered the question yourself. Nothing within 500m and 2m subsoil. power on a septic tank. you will require a min of 1200mm unsaturated subsoil below the invert of you percolation trench.

if you were to use a wastewater treatmetn unit you would be looking at 600mm.

A site assessor will tell you more however you local authority may insist on a wwtu instead of a septic tank. septic tank approx €800 wwtu €3500.

Advertisement