Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Olympics

Options
  • 11-08-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

As a casual watcher of equine events I am surprised that Ireland does not frequently medal in the olympic equestrian events. With the quality of horses and riders we produce we should get at least a medal per games. Why are we so poor at dressage? If we were as good at that as we were at cross country/showjumping our teams would be in with a chance at team gold come every 4 years. Any thoughts/

Comments

We don't have the same facilities here for training at the elite international cross country level. I don't know about the dressage, its just something that we were never worldbeaters at. Our showjumping, however, is excellent and we do pull well above our weight in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would actually like to hear peoples thoughts as to why we are so poor at dressage. Is this a problem that goes right down to pony club level? Is that where we should be looking to improve it?

Irish bred horses are some of the best in the world at eventing so its not the horses that are the issue, its the riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

as regards showjumping at the olympics, there is a good article in the irish field with lt col ned campion, about how tough the olympics is.

fits wrote: »
    I would actually like to hear peoples thoughts as to why we are so poor at dressage. Is this a problem that goes right down to pony club level? Is that where we should be looking to improve it?

Irish bred horses are some of the best in the world at eventing so its not the horses that are the issue, its the riders.

This is true - we have some excellent horses all right. I just don't think we have the facilities for Irish riders to become world beaters. We have nothing equivalent to facilities such as Badminton, Samur etc. Until we get these, we won't be on equal footing with other nations.

But is it the xc that we're not competing on a level playing field with other countries? Or dressage? It appears to me that its dressage that is the problem.

Wasnt the young eventing horse competition established to go some way towards rectifying this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I don't think it has anything to do with facilities or lack thereof. We have some great courses here and the irish often perform strongly cross country and showjumping. I think it's because at an early age irish riders concentrate way to much on jumping. imo we do not emphasise dressage enough. It goes to pony club level. How many 12 year olds know how to ride a pony in balance , forward and with rythym? Yet many of them have no problem flying around the place jumping big fences! We need to put more emphasis on correct flatwork form an early age and invest more time and money in teaching youngsters the basics. We do not in general have a high standard of dressage in this country compared to the likes of germany and great britain. If you take a look at dressage results in "pure" dressage you will see that the top nations are often the likes of germany, UK, holland and france. Dressage is big in these countries. How many irish dressage riders compete at grand prix level. The eventing sector in these countries can draw on the expertise of home produced dreassage riders and trainers to train eventers and event riders.

Another factor is often the fact that many of our top horses are sold abroad. You will often here of irish bred horses being sold to the continent only to start winning all round them. Why? Because they are good trainers of horses on the flat. They understand the importance of flatwork.

But is it the xc that we're not competing on a level playing field with other countries? Or dressage? It appears to me that its dressage that is the problem.

Wasnt the young eventing horse competition established to go some way towards rectifying this issue?

It's dressage is the problem. People often fail to understand that without it you can't have a succesful round cross country these days. As there has been a shift during the 90's towards more technical fences.

The young event horse championship was set up to "showcase" irish horses. Like it or not it is an advertisement ploy. And many are bought by foreign investors. I know of 3 curtrently in Sweden. One top mare and 2 top geldings.

I would tend to agree with you togster.

I think the standard of dressage and flatwork in general is very poor in Ireland, and underemphasised.

It's terrible tbh. Look at Sweden for example. 5th after cross country.
    By no means have they such a long history with horses, or can they (in general) ride like the irish over poles or cross country (they have no hunting).
    Their horses (swedish warmblood) are not in the same league as the irish horse at all. But they have a huge dressage competitive scene here. It translates into eventing.

No we have all the ingredients for GOLD medals, minus the interest/history in dressage/flatwork- Sad really.

That said, I do believe Zaraba when he says a lack of 4* facilities is a problem too.

Is there any 4* competition in Ireland?

• Advertisement

No there isn't any. Badminton is just across the water. Many British/Scottish riders travel further that we would have to. And i think at least 2 of our team combinations have competed there (Niall and Austin). We do have several 3* competitions here. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't 3 of the 4 go clear in Bejing? I read the report and i think the atmosphere or screens upset some of the horses. The armies horse won tatersalls 3* recently beating many top british riders so the screens probably upset him. He is capable of doing a good test.

However we need to ask ourselves why do germany and the UK and australia consistently put in good performances. It comes down to dressage imo and Zarabra is right, lack of big competition experience might be a contributing factor, not the principal one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Dressage has never been Ireland's strong point, and I doubt that will change any time soon. A lot of Irish International riders are based in the UK mainly because there are more higher level national and international events over there, and because there are better training oppurtunities.

A lot of younger riders at PC and even EI level think that dressage is boring and pointless (which it certainly isn't as it's the basis of good jumping), so they tend to ignore their flatwork.

There are no 4* competitions in Ireland - There are only six 4* events in the world. In the UK there's Burghley and Badminton, in France there's Pau (only obtained 4* status last year), in Germany there's Luhmuhlen, in the US there's Kentucky, and in Australia there's Adelaide.

I should also add that the Olympics is only a 3* level event.

I would agree with Togster. Dressage is shunted aside here and we are really paying for it in competitions like this.

You take the UK or Germany, they have 4* events which does give them an advantage, but they also have equivalent dressage events at all levels. We dont.

Zaraba - Dressage definitely isn't a big thing in Ireland compared to SJAI or EI. Ireland has never hosted an International dressage event, but an application has been sent to the FEI to host a CDI at Necarne Castle next May. Hopefully it will be accepted, as it would be a great boost for dressage over here.

Alibear wrote: »

Yes but having a 4* event to train on will raise the standard. If you can compete well that level, then the 3* will pose less hassle. This is the difference between being 'good' and being a 'worldbeater' which you will have to be to take home medals in the olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

A woamn i know is now going to germany for dressage training, as she has gone as far as she can here, although she competes on one warmblood and is bringing on a young irish horse

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

I dont think ireland need all that much training in the cross country and showjumping I mean 4 out of 5 clears cross country! Our dressage is terrible :( obviously we have to take into consideration that things happen for example at the olympics Geoffs and Patricias horses spooking at the Tvs. Geoff was a real contender for a medel after his fantastic display at Tatts. Dressage training is definitely needed over her, improve that and the medals will start coming in....hopefully Denis Lynch will be bringing somrthing home :D

Olympics is a 4* event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

IMO it's just that we're taking a while to catch up. Dressage is only starting to catch on in Ireland in the last few decades. The structure isn't really in place to support it.

• Advertisement

Olympics is a 4* event.
    No, it isn't. It USED to be a 4* event up until a couple of years ago when they changed it to 3* level to allow other nations who may not have 4* eventers the opportunity to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

No, it isn't. It USED to be a 4* event up until a couple of years ago when they changed it to 3* level to allow other nations who may not have 4* eventers the opportunity to compete.

She's right - Olympic eventing is 3*.
    With regard to the argument that Ireland not having a 4* event causing them to be at a disadvantage, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. As Togster pointed out, many of the Scottish eventers probably have to travel further to compete at Badminton than the Irish riders and it never stopped Ian Stark. Also, you don't use an event like Badminton to train on - you don't go there unless you are able for it - it is a pinacle to aim for, not to use as a training ground. Also, balloting will keep out those horses who are not experienced enough for it.
    It is the training at grass roots level that needs to be addressed with regard to the flatwork. I know Eventing Ireland and Ginny are working very hard to improve this, but it's not going to happen overnight. We are way behind the rest of the top eventing nations in our dressage and that has to be addressed. As has been pointed out, we have the best horses in the world AND I believe some of the best riders - we just need to really work on the training.
    Mind you - in Bejing, the dressage arenas were VERY spooky - apparently William Fox Pitt came down his first centre line on three tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think it would stem back to pony club as show jumping is something I always remember being pushed more and dressage didn't really feature at all!

I only really learned of dressage as I got older, and although I enjoy it, its not something that I would be very good at at all, whereas I feel I've been show jumping for years and am waaaay more confident at it.

I did compete for Ireland years ago at the SNRC, on a student level and it was actually embarrassing how crap the Irish team was at Dressage, yet we were fantastic at the showjumping!
    After all flatwork is the basis of jumping!

I think alot of people would be more aware of the SJAI competitions too and Dressage Ireland isn't as well subscribed to, although I think that is slowly changing.

Kamili wrote: »
    I think it would stem back to pony club as show jumping is something I always remember being pushed more and dressage didn't really feature at all!

I only really learned of dressage as I got older, and although I enjoy it, its not something that I would be very good at at all, whereas I feel I've been show jumping for years and am waaaay more confident at it.

I did compete for Ireland years ago at the SNRC, on a student level and it was actually embarrassing how crap the Irish team was at Dressage, yet we were fantastic at the showjumping!
    After all flatwork is the basis of jumping!

I think alot of people would be more aware of the SJAI competitions too and Dressage Ireland isn't as well subscribed to, although I think that is slowly changing.

I wouldn't use Student competitions as a yardstick though... I have competed at Student Intervarsities and my mum has judged Student Nations Cups and from our experience they are not taken in the same light as affiliated dressage competitions - they are more fun events and a chance for students from different countries to meet up. Correct me if I'm wrong here - but that was my experience.

I have competed for Ireland in young rider dressage and done some training in Holland, Belgium and the UK. I would certainly agree that Ireland has a long way to go and in my opinion, dressage in this country is going through a real slump at the moment with very little competitions taking place and low numbers of competitors. It will always be a hard sport to market as you need to know what you are looking for to watch it with any understanding, as opposed to showjumping where it's easy to understand the rules.

http://www.eventingireland.com/about_eventing/?itemid=528 says otherwise, however they could be wrong.

napoles wrote: »
    She's right - Olympic eventing is 3*.
    With regard to the argument that Ireland not having a 4* event causing them to be at a disadvantage, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. As Togster pointed out, many of the Scottish eventers probably have to travel further to compete at Badminton than the Irish riders and it never stopped Ian Stark. Also, you don't use an event like Badminton to train on - you don't go there unless you are able for it - it is a pinacle to aim for, not to use as a training ground. Also, balloting will keep out those horses who are not experienced enough for it.
    It is the training at grass roots level that needs to be addressed with regard to the flatwork. I know Eventing Ireland and Ginny are working very hard to improve this, but it's not going to happen overnight. We are way behind the rest of the top eventing nations in our dressage and that has to be addressed. As has been pointed out, we have the best horses in the world AND I believe some of the best riders - we just need to really work on the training.
    Mind you - in Bejing, the dressage arenas were VERY spooky - apparently William Fox Pitt came down his first centre line on three tracks.

Any rider who has competed at a 4* level and done well will have an advantage over one which has competed only at a 3* level. I am not saying that this is the first thing which needs to change (improving dressage would be number 1) however the higher the level which Irish athletes are able to compete at, the higher the bar will be raised.

Any rider who has competed at a 4* level and done well will have an advantage over one which has competed only at a 3* level. I am not saying that this is the first thing which needs to change (improving dressage would be number 1) however the higher the level which Irish athletes are able to compete at, the higher the bar will be raised.

Of course - I agree completely with that. But that is not stopping the Irish riders competing at 4* events. Most of our top eventers pop over to the UK regularly to compete anyway, so (logistically speaking) to go to Badminton is not that big a trek.

My argument is that I don't think a lack of a 4* in this country is holding them back, because the UK is so close and has two 4*'s in Badminton and Burghley. We are actually at a bit of an advantage over some other countries, geographically speaking, when you consider that those two events are actually so close to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

napoles wrote: »
    I wouldn't use Student competitions as a yardstick though... I have competed at Student Intervarsities and my mum has judged Student Nations Cups and from our experience they are not taken in the same light as affiliated dressage competitions - they are more fun events and a chance for students from different countries to meet up. Correct me if I'm wrong here - but that was my experience.

Yes you are correct, and I was in no way using it as a yardstick, simply just saying that is was embarrassing how utterly useless the irish team was at dressage compared to the standard of the other riders from other countries.

Having also competed at Student intervarsities the standard of dressage is greatly improving, especially since I first started, I did notice a huge difference in the standard between my first year and my final year, alot of the good dressage riders were foreign at first and then it changed as time went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just from casually watching the olympics, what does the rider actually do that anyone with a few months training couldn't do?
    And do equestrian folk think that the nationality should apply to both horse and rider, i.e. Irish rider riding Irish horse? Surely in a sport where at the very least it's 50/50 in terms of responsibility, both competitiors should be of the nation they're representing. If not, why not?

Advertisement