Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Olympics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Seifer wrote: »
    Just from casually watching the olympics, what does the rider actually do that anyone with a few months training couldn't do?

Alot.
    And do equestrian folk think that the nationality should apply to both horse and rider, i.e. Irish rider riding Irish horse? Surely in a sport where at the very least it's 50/50 in terms of responsibility, both competitiors should be of the nation they're representing. If not, why not?

Because it's not the animal olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Just from casually watching the olympics, what does the rider actually do that anyone with a few months training couldn't do?
    And do equestrian folk think that the nationality should apply to both horse and rider, i.e. Irish rider riding Irish horse? Surely in a sport where at the very least it's 50/50 in terms of responsibility, both competitiors should be of the nation they're representing. If not, why not?

As with all disciplines in the Olympics, it takes a hell of a lot more time than a 'few months' training before anyone can reach Olympic standards or be good enough to be considered for selection. Or maybe you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh dear...:( I dont even know where to start with that.

Take showjumping for example. The rider will spend years training the horse to respond to subtle commands. The rider can dictate exactly the horses speed and length of stride. Also the athletic ability of a horse needs to be trained much like that of a gymnast.

Riding a horse may look easy, but it is deceptively so. You need to be really strong in the core and legs to ride properly. Riders actually control the horse a lot with their 'seat' or core. It is very physical indeed. Definitely not just 'sitting there'.

Its not 50/50 in terms of responsibility. The riding and training of a horse is 90% of the reason why it can get to a top level. Plus, medals are only awarded to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

MDFM wrote:
    Or maybe you think otherwise?
    I don't think anything. Just from looking at it it doesn't look like the rider does a whole lot. They steer the horse and tell it to speed up / slow down but the horse does all the actual physical stuff i.e. jumping the giant fences.
    So was wondering if someone could give me a basic overview of what makes it difficult?
    MDFM wrote:
    Because it's not the animal olympics.
    I'd like to see them jump those fences without their animal.

Seifer, questions about the sport are welcome here, but be careful of your tone.

If just a few months training could get you an olympic medal then everyone would be at it. Use your head.

• Advertisement

Ok fits got in and answered a lot of my questions.
    I always thought the horse's trainer and rider were different people. So that's not the case?

Ok fits got in and answered a lot of my questions.
    I always thought the horse's trainer and rider were different people. So that's not the case?

That would be true in horse racing in most cases (which is more a test of fitness than anything else).

In showjumping and dressage the rider would do all the training (completely different skillset), with occasional help from expert eyes on the ground.

fits wrote:
    Take showjumping for example. The rider will spend years training the horse to respond to subtle commands.
    Would these commands be universal or unique to the personal trainer? Like could one rider ride a horse someone else had trained?
    fits wrote:
    You need to be really strong in the core and legs to ride properly. ... It is very physical indeed.
    So do they do gym work and other fitness training on top of actual riding?

Would these commands be universal or unique to the personal trainer? Like could one rider ride a horse someone else had trained?

Pretty unique really. There would be a crossover to a certain extent, but every horse and rider combo have their own intricacies and styles.

yes. But riding itself is fitness training. functional training I believe they call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

It really depends on the horse, i trained my mare from the beginning, she got to grade B with me ( the highest grade is A), i had an injury and a friend jumped her in 90cm competition, she got eliminated for refusing to jump. she jumped for me because the bond was there, i could read her like the back of my hand

i have a gelding here that would jump the moon for anyone uncomplicated as hell

most of the training riders do is riding, you have to remember the riders at top level could be riding 8hrs a day, on different horses. some do gym work on top of it but the riding its self is great for keeping fit

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    Its not 50/50 in terms of responsibility. The riding and training of a horse is 90% of the reason why it can get to a top level.
    To come at this from another angle, why do Irish riders continue to drug their horses when from what your saying it would be more beneficial to drug themselves? [/tongue firmly in cheek]
    Hope they cut the funding to zero for this disgrace of an event.

Nothing has been proven and noone found guilty yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

fits wrote: »
    Nothing has been proven and noone found guilty yet.

what does happen if they are later cleared after not been able to compete ?

is it tough luck ?

Who knows? It doesnt look good for them at the moment anyway.

Even if it was accidental, its still a breach of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Report posts if you are unhappy with them rather than getting into it on thread.

Fits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arion Online

If we could just send our horses to rehab and keep them away from drugs everything would be ok

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

as to why..well, look at the eventing horses that were in the medals.A huge percentage of them are Irish-bred, there is not the money in eventing in Ireland to keep them here. Our show-jumpers spend lots of time travelling with lesser grade horses to lesser shows, just to make ends meet.

Advertisement