Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with dog to Netherlands and back

Options
  • 11-08-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Chihuahua, and I have found an airline (Air France) who does direct flights from Dublin to Amsterdam where I can take my Chi in de cabin.

Is there anyone here used to travelling with their pet to (preferably The Netherlands) an other European country who can tell me exactly what I need for my pet. I know I need an pet passport and rabbies vaccination for him. But some internetpages also talk about bloodtest that you need to go to Ireland(Is that also necessary if your pet is Irish?). But it says that you need it to be taken 6 months after the last vaccination. And that seems impossible because then I couldn't travel with him for 6 months every time he needed his new rabbies vaccination.

Thanks very much for reactions!

Milly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I know they need to be tested 6 months after the first vaccination, after that I think there are tests that need to be done, but I don't think you would have to wait 6 months after every booster as long as you keep all the vaccinations up to date.

If you are travelling on this scheme, make absolutely certain you have done everything to the letter and your paperwork is up to date each time, one slip and your pet will have to spend 6 months in quarantine. I would find a vet that is well versed with the scheme and follow their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Petpassport scheme - Europe

If you are travelling by car or boat to a country, ie going to spain but travelling through england/france you need to ring the embassies of those countries and make sure they don't have any special requirments for pets travelling through. Also ring the destination country as they might also have some other requirments for pets. Also there are rules to what type of carrier your pet can go in best get in touch with your carrier to find out their own regulations.

Step 1 - Get a application form which you can down load from the department of agri website. This is a free pasport. Bring your dog to vets for rabies vaccination, microchipping and get your vet to sign the application form. The passport will be sent to your vets practice. Also you should note that every different country has different rules on how long a vaccination last and how often a booster is given, in ireland the booster has to be given every three years, but i know some eastern european countries are yearly.
    I.E - in ireland - vac dates 1st sept 08, booster due 31st Aug 2011. Has to be given the day before.

Step 2 - 30 + days after the vaccination your pet will need a bloods test to measure the amount of rabies antibodies in their system. You should note that your pet cannot re-enter ireland for 6 months after the date of the positive blood sample.
    I.E vac given 1st september blood test 1st october pet can leave ireland but cannot re-enter till after 1st april.

Step 3 - 24 - 48 hours before you travel you must bring your pet to the vet for a health chack and to be wormed and treated for external parasites, ticks etcs.

Also you should note that it can take up to 3 weeks for the blood tests to come back from the lab. And also this is an expensive process.

American/Australia etc - you would need to get in touch with which ever government department deals with import of live animals in these countries. They have strict instructions on importing animals, even puppies and kittens. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get everything done in. Would be a good idea to maybe arrange an appointment with your vet or vet nurse if you have any questions. I have jsut arranged an dog to be exported to oz and my god it was a lenghty process.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pinksalt

Milly will you post again to let us know how you got on with travelling with dog as i hope to do it next summer... thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Milly,

it's not a problem going out-the problem is coming back.Ireland does not have rabies, but Holland does.So to come back in, you'r vaccinations and test must be a minimum of 7 months old or Ireland will not allow the dog back in.You'd be better off leaving the Chi in good hands back here.I have brought my dog in from holland, and it cost a fortune...

Has your pet been only in an eligible country during this six months?
    Your pet may enter Ireland only when at least six months has expired since a successful blood-test. This provision is to ensure that your pet is not incubating rabies.
    If your pet has had a break in its vaccinations and has had to repeat the blood-test, six months must pass from the date of the most recent test before your pet can enter Ireland.
    If your pet has spent any time in a country that is ineligible for this system, please consult us on 1890 504 604 about the conditions that will apply.
    check:

http://www.ispca.ie/content/pet-passports.html

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I think the rabiest shot cost something like €90 last time I got it done, and you have to get it done every year without fail, or start the whole process again.

The Department of Agriculture is in charge of all this, and can give you information and forms in addition to Jules' very helpful post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement