Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bollards at Loftus Hall gates

• 11-08-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Whats with the gates of Loftus Hall, someone's put down some bollards outside it so you cant even pull in at the side of the road anymore...it's lethal now with cars everywhere!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

wellbutty wrote: »
    Whats with the gates of Loftus Hall, someone's put down some bollards outside it so you cant even pull in at the side of the road anymore...it's lethal now with cars everywhere!
    WHAT ????? omg, id say the caretaker did that, did you know he is the nephew of the woman that owns its !!! Mrs. Devereux who is in are in england... he must really really want people to stay away from the house ??!! He's prob sick of people going to it or trying to get inside.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jessae86 wrote: »
    WHAT ????? omg, id say the caretaker did that, did you know he is the nephew of the woman that owns its !!! Mrs. Devereux who is in are in england... he must really really want people to stay away from the house ??!! He's prob sick of people going to it or trying to get inside.....

Is that even a true story? I thought the owner being from the UK was just a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Sully wrote: »
    Is that even a true story? I thought the owner being from the UK was just a myth.
    not a myth, her name is kay deveraux was married to michael (mikey)
    deveraux who came from ramsgrange....
    shes in kensington in london where she owns another hotel,
    very wealthy woman indeed.

what age is kay derveraux ??? do you think she will ever go back to the house for a look at any stage to see it again or anything like that ?????

when i worked there about 94, 96 kay was about in her late 60s
    she always looked older than her years and always dressed in a
    old english kind of way,trouser suit, with a frilly blouse.
    she was a bid off the wall tho....
    was a mother and daughter living out the back in a small caravan id say up to maybe 5 years ago they were from rosslare harbour and used to come down to stay a lot, my mum still calls to see the daughter when shes down in rosslare but the mother is dead now....

• Advertisement

minxie1 wrote: »
    when i worked there about 94, 96 kay was about in her late 60s
    she always looked older than her years and always dressed in a
    old english kind of way,trouser suit, with a frilly blouse.
    she was a bid off the wall tho....
    was a mother and daughter living out the back in a small caravan id say up to maybe 5 years ago they were from rosslare harbour and used to come down to stay a lot, my mum still calls to see the daughter when shes down in rosslare but the mother is dead now....
    facinating stuff !!! so is there anyone living on the property at the moment ?? or in the caravan even ?? do you think if you asked permition to walk in just for a look would they oblige ??? or is it out of bounds full stop !!???

facinating stuff !!! so is there anyone living on the property at the moment ?? or in the caravan even ?? do you think if you asked permition to walk in just for a look would they oblige ??? or is it out of bounds full stop !!???
    no the two women are long gone outta there,
    theres no way you would get in there now.... kennedy guy and the nephews have that place well outta bounds.
    was a great place years ago...
    lots of fond memories of "the hall"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

how many of ye were at the Hall when it was doing the biker weekends, feckin one of the best memories from my childhood is the wet Tshirt comp.

I remember that aulwan alright, she was a bit mental in a nice sort of way, my dad used to service all her Gas stuff when we were younger so I've had tehe full -be let off to your own devices- tour, feckin great, all the little alcoves and 'secret' stairways, and that amazing staircase, and a fireplace in every room, even went into the room where they were supposed to have been playin cards the night the Divil went throught the ceiling :D

no the two women are long gone outta there,
    theres no way you would get in there now.... kennedy guy and the nephews have that place well outta bounds.
    was a great place years ago...
    lots of fond memories of "the hall"
    what i mean is, getting into the house itself im sure is out of bounds, but is it possible to go up beside it and take a few pics and just look around the grounds, that has to be do-able thats all i want really, dont get me wrong id give my left leg to inside for even just 10 min !!!! Kennedy ????? who is he ??? have the minders of the place at the mo ever taken a shine to anyone and said oh come on ill bring you up and show you inside for a few min ????!! can they even get inside themselves ????

how many of ye were at the Hall when it was doing the biker weekends, feckin one of the best memories from my childhood is the wet Tshirt comp.

I remember that aulwan alright, she was a bit mental in a nice sort of way, my dad used to service all her Gas stuff when we were younger so I've had tehe full -be let off to your own devices- tour, feckin great, all the little alcoves and 'secret' stairways, and that amazing staircase, and a fireplace in every room, even went into the room where they were supposed to have been playin cards the night the Divil went throught the ceiling :D
    god you are soooooooo lucky to have went inside, jesus id do ANYTHING to go inside loftus, its not fair !!!! arrrgggghhhhh :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

What will they do with it when the owner dies?
    Probably make a hotel out of it?

they should restore it to its former glory...
    was a hotel when the deveraux's had it open...

ye thats a good point !!! what will happen to it if Mrs Deveraux passes away ???? Will it be passed onto her nephew whos minding it now ????? Maybe then he will re-open it !!????

they should restore it to its former glory...
    was a hotel when the deveraux's had it open...
    went down there at the weekend for a look, got some nice pictures.. got right up beside the house.... what an amazing piece of work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

have you got some of these photos online???

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    have you got some of these photos online???
    i dont have them up on my pc in work yet ill put them up this week.... ive only started using this site reciently and im not exactly sure how to post up the photos in a message !!! anyone care to help ??? :):)

You can attach them

'Post Reply' -> Manage Attachment -> Upload file

You can attach them

'Post Reply' -> Manage Attachment -> Upload file
    Cool thanks for that !!!! :):) ill get them up 2mro if i get the chance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rosswoman1

oh wow.. I was down at the Hook for a walk the other week and noticed the bollards too. Its such a shame the hall is shut because I bet there is a great view of the coast..from there.
    With all these people developing hotels or other properties, its just crying out for some attention.
    Wish I could visit..
    If you want a really interesting place to visit, I went to Charleville Castle in TUllamore recently..fascinating and there is a website too.. just google it..all the work is done by wolunteers which is great and famous people have stayed there too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did I hear correctly - Loftus Hall is up for auction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Sully wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly - Loftus Hall is up for auction?

Yep - the house on 63 acres is being auctioned on 17th October by Sherry Fitz Radford in the Brandon House hotel at 3 pm - guiding €1.8 to €1.9 million.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Yep - the house on 63 acres is being auctioned on 17th October by Sherry Fitz Radford in the Brandon House hotel at 3 pm - guiding €1.8 to €1.9 million.
    where is the Brandon house hotel ???? where abouts in wexford ??? id love to go to the
    auction, can any1 go ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

where is the Brandon house hotel ???? where abouts in wexford ??? id love to go to the
    auction, can any1 go ???

Just before you come into New Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Just before you come into New Ross.

Yep. Just before you come into New Ross from the Wexford side. Its on the right hand side with a long entrance up the side of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

I think i'll buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Saw in the paper at the weekend that is is up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Sorry should have noticed the second page before I jumped in with its up for sale! brain not in gear today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Is the Devil still playing cards there?

Always heard it was haunted.... still that could be a bonus!
    It would make a great hotel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

A snip at less than 2 mil, would have seen 5 if it had gone under the hammer 12 months ago

• Advertisement

the great hall!!!

Nice photo's, great building.

RKQ wrote: »
    Nice photo's, great building.
    cheers thanks...
    was down home at the weekend and took a few, cant believe
    its up for auction tbh....:(
    makes me kinda sad but happy, have some great,great memories of that place,:) but sad to see "the hall" the way it is today, so neglected and in ruins, hopefully some one will take on the great task ahead and reform
    her to its former glory for once....:)

sad to see "the hall" the way it is today, so neglected and in ruins, hopefully some one will take on the great task ahead and reform her to its former glory for once....:)

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully the new owner will see her true potential and refurbish her sympathically. Its an amazing place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

i hope the new owners dont take the birds off it... they really add to it

Advertisement