Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gory TV advertising campaigns

Options
  • 11-08-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Just wondering whats peoples opinions are on the current TV advertising against speeding. I know driver habits have been covered in numerous other threads, I like to focus on the advertising campaign and the direction they seem to take.

Do you feel that after watching these ads have any effect on driver behaviour?
    We are so accomustomed/sanitised again gore on TV, that they have little effect IMO
    I suspect that poor driver behaviour is as much a reason for road accidents as speeding.
    I believe campaign of driver education would be better, displaying instructional imformation such as:
    Proper behaviour on motorways. ie outside lane is for overtaking only, safe distance in wet/dry (no tailgating).
    How to overtake properly. (and not to sit behind a 40 ft lorry , if you have no intention of passing, thus making it 60 ft long to the next driver)
    Overuse of rear foglights.
    Dangers to look out for in towns/housing estates. (kids playing etc)

Anyone remember back in the 80's when they had these ads? Like the one with the guy on bicycle passing too close to the parked car? (door is opened, guy knocked off bicycle).
    I still remember this to this day, and keep a safe distance when driving past parked cars . The current ads I remember as well as a B rate movie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

skinner2x wrote: »
    Just wondering whats peoples opinions are on the current TV advertising against speeding. I know driver habits have been covered in numerous other threads, I like to focus on the advertising campaign and the direction they seem to take.

Do you feel that after watching these ads have any effect on driver behaviour?
    We are so accomustomed/sanitised again gore on TV, that they have little effect IMO
    I suspect that poor driver behaviour is as much a reason for road accidents as speeding.
    I believe campaign of driver education would be better, displaying instructional imformation such as:
    Proper behaviour on motorways. ie outside lane is for overtaking only, safe distance in wet/dry (no tailgating).
    How to overtake properly. (and not to sit behind a 40 ft lorry , if you have no intention of passing, thus making it 60 ft long to the next driver)
    Overuse of rear foglights.
    Dangers to look out for in towns/housing estates. (kids playing etc)

Anyone remember back in the 80's when they had these ads? Like the one with the guy on bicycle passing too close to the parked car? (door is opened, guy knocked off bicycle).
    I still remember this to this day, and keep a safe distance when driving past parked cars . The current ads I remember as well as a B rate movie.

I'd agree with this, and I remember the add you're talking about too, it must have worked!
    Educational adds are better. Still no harm to show people what happens a car if it hits a stationary object at 60mph for example. People think "Oh, I smashed at 60mph and was lucky to get away without injury." In actual fact, they probably scrubbed off a lot more speed than they thought before impact. You can't survive a 60mph impact in nearly all instances.
    Showing breaking distances too in the wet and dry, and with good and bad tyres would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

There were ads produced a couple of years ago dealing with tailgating and turning at a junction (AFAIR). They use a debadged Passat and Octavia.

You make some very valid points but unfortunately they're too busy beating us over the head with the PC anti-speed message.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Those ads may be very graphic/gorey ...but I think that is necessary for two reasons:

- modern cars are so well damped/insulated and comparatively powerful that you have no real feeling for speed anymore. You needn't be "speeding" at all, yet you could still be going too fast without ever knowing about it.

- in recent movies cars driven at breakneck speeds into accidents either explode in a ball of flames or no harm is done at all (except for a few dents) ...both of which is very unrealistic

Therefore I think to show the consequences of accidents at everyday speeds as realistically as possible is quite important.

However, I would also like to see some more ads giving proper driving advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yep that ad always stuck in my head and has served me well as a cyclist for many years and, more recently, whilst driving. Education and information, even basic common sense/ROTR stuff serves a worthy purpose...the only ones I can recall recently are the ones for not cutting lanes at junctions and the one about overtaking...

As regards the shock horror stuff, I tend to find that I reach for the remote after having seen it a few times...not that I'm shocked as such, it's just that the ads grate on me, usually the music...the downfall of some of these ads too I think is that people look at them and say "Ah sure that'll never happen me", and chances are it probably won't...but as above, if you educated people about how not to get into these situations to begin with (ie more than just "Speed Kills!") you may well save lives that the gore ads won't.
    The only one of the current crop of safety ads that may have some effect through gore are the seatbelt ads...not that anyone should really need to be told to put on their belt, but if it makes someone think and do it automatically, it may again save lives or prevent injury.
    pburns is right though...as laudable as the idea is, it probably won't happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Then, in 1997, they put cycletracks right beside the car doors and passed a law making it obligatory to cycle on the track and within the door-opening arc of the parked cars. (One law which I confess to ignoring.)

On topic though, I think the Aussies have led the way with strong direct messages, latest being some Sheilas not being impressed by boy-racer antics. The threat of public ridicule might be more effective than images of a violent demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

peasant wrote: »

- modern cars are so well damped/insulated and comparatively powerful that you have no real feeling for speed anymore. You needn't be "speeding" at all, yet you could still be going too fast without ever knowing about it.

advice

Thats a very good point . I realised that one day when I drove an older hatch (well 95) car . I supppose thats what they're trying to do with the ads... the guy in cruising along (lyric FM in backround or the like) then mayhem a few seconds later.
    Bring back Judge (Wonderly wagon). Now there was a dog you'd listen to!

Advertisement