Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Chances of storms has increased and look possible right across the country later today, tonight and into tomorrow Tuesday.

A renewed risk seems to run up the Irish sea for SE and E areas later.
    Will post up charts later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

some widespread and extremely heavy rain pushing into Clare & Kerry now on ME's radar. Could be nasty up here later on if that stays as intense as it crosses the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On the gfs it was saying the heaviest rainfall will be in the West this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain here at present and looking at the latest Met Eireann radar worse to come.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Snowbie what are the chances of Thunderstorms here today/tonight

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see LI is forecast to be -4 for most of tommorow morning to mid-afternoon for the Dublin area with a CAPE of 823 j/kg around 3pm.

Can't remember the last time I saw LI below -3 for Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

What are the chances of thunder in Leitrim today or tonight ?

I love watching thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If anywhere in the West will get a thunderstorm out of this it will be Galway city. It seems to be most lightning-friendly place in the West of Ireland

If anywhere in the West will get a thunderstorm out of this it will be Galway city. It seems to be most lightning-friendly place in the West of Ireland
    Off to galway with me then :p

Thunder down in the cork area now in that huge blob of rain.

Heaven preserve us if and when it starts moving up the country.
    This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Will that move towards the North West ?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just got a phonecall from a mate asking me to look out in to the bay (Dundalk)...says the clouds were acting strangely...had a look; definitely a rotating updraft at the edge of a shower cloud (very heavy large drops of rain)....took some pics but no use without video. No thunder or much else...sky very very leaden grey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Will that move towards the North West ?????

at this stage looks like its moving generally in the North east direction

Damomanye wrote: »
    at this stage looks like its moving generally in the North east direction
    Looks like I might get the tail end of it from the latest radar.
    latest_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been unbelievably lucky so far this evening in avoiding the rain. It hasn't rained here since this morning.

Right now, I can see very heavy rain only a few miles from the southwest to the northwest of me but it's only edged a couple of miles closer for the last hour or so.

I've been unbelievably lucky so far this evening in avoiding the rain. It hasn't rained here since this morning.

Right now, I can see very heavy rain only a few miles from the southwest to the northwest of me but it's only edged a couple of miles closer for the last hour or so.
    There's proably a whole lot heading your way by the looks of the radar.

By the looks of that radar, it's been heading right past me for the last 4 hours:D

It was threatening to drizzle when I wrote my last post, but the heavy rain near to the west of me continued on and it's brightening up again. Also, the Dunleer and Drogheda NRA weather stations both had the lowest relative humidity in the country as at 7pm.

But we could be punished for our dry afternoon later tonight!

There seems to be a very wide band to that system thats over Cork at the moment, I wonder will that mean it will affect Leitrim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just clearing Cork now.
    Being honest it wasn't that heavy and for some reason looked much worse on radar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There seems to be a very wide band to that system thats over Cork at the moment, I wonder will that mean it will affect Leitrim ?

You seem to very anxious for Leitrim to get rain? Are you running short of rain up there?:D

If it's thunderstorms you're after I suspect what comes after the main rain band may produce the thunderstorms.

LI for Dublin area at midday tomorrow now forecast at -5 and CAPE at 975 j/kg.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You seem to very anxious for Leitrim to get rain? Are you running short of rain up there?:D

If it's thunderstorms you're after I suspect what comes after the main rain band may produce the thunderstorms.
    Its the thunder I'm anticipating. And no we're surely not short of rain, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It rained there for 2 minutes, not heavy at all but the drops were big.

Btw, I've a wee suspicion the met radar underestimates rainfall closer to it and overestimates further away.

Docarch, what are your sources for your lifted index forecast of -5? The GFS run at 12z this afternoon forecasted -3, and CAPE of about 600 Joules/Kg

@ cian1500ww Unfortunately conditions will be a little less favourable for thunderstoms for you. Note that I am not saying you will not get storms just that conditions will be better for south and east for storms to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Most rainfall models seem to be struggling with this current band of rain at the moment. UKMO seem to have the heaviest stuff running up through the centre of the country as well as the east tonight.

uk_rain_08081203.jpg

Forecast for 4.00am above. Not sure about thunder Cian, but if there is any going, you seem to have equal chance of getting some.

I already know there will be none here though.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very heavy rain here at present and looking at the latest Met Eireann radar worse to come.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Snowbie what are the chances of Thunderstorms here today/tonight
    The chances of storms tonight is low according to the latest 12Z GFS but there is a couple of hundred j/kg of Cape around, so the odd rumble of thunder be possible with nothing organised.

Later tonight a low risk again moves into the SE and runs up the east coast, SW and west.

Tomorrow the GFS atm is overplaying the potential of storms across the whole country with very high Cape values as there be very little insolation(lack of sun getting to the surface) due to the front returning across the area. The greatest risk imo is the south midlands and SE due to longer exposure to surface warming which should be enough to spark heavy showers/storms? maybe early on.

Will compare the 12z and 18z runs later to see if there is any difference and post up charts if any risk remains.

Docarch, what are your sources for your lifted index forecast of -5? The GFS run at 12z this afternoon forecasted -3, and CAPE of about 600 Joules/Kg

Lazy route : Metcheck (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/stormwatch.asp)

Thanks for that guys, I'll keep an ear out. Just light rain here at the moment.

The 18Z has rolled out and GFS has come onboard now. It shows that some possible Ts development mainly in the Leinster area and more into the SE. With surface warming (if sun makes an appearance) and with winds from the WNW the Wicklow mountains will aid in lift.

Lapse rates(instability) is favourable over the SE. Anything over 26C fall rate is good.
    However there is no shear at low and mid levels so Ts if any be short pulse type storm's.
    No wind convergence but MTS should aid in lift aswell as surface warming.
    Most important there is no convective inhibition or Cap/lid on convection.
    There are signs that an upper trough develops and moves through over Ireland ahead of the returning front with cold air aloft so which favours the steepening of lapse rates but later runs should confirm that.

All depends on how conditions at the surface aid in developing. No sun, no fun.

All attach below are from 18Z for 1500.

Torro have released a Tornado Watch for mainly the SE.

http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php

Hmmm maybe?

Added more atmospheic winds for earlier in the day Tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Snowbie........you have it all, as in details / intelligence /dedication.

Superb.

John Cash would be still a hero though.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    Torro have released a Tornado Watch for mainly the SE.

http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php

Hmmm maybe?
    <Hold me> [I'm scared now...] :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement