Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Look on the bright side, it might just suck up all the water off the fields for you now.:p

Lol
    A water spout on land

Entirely possible anywhere in the East at the moment I think :o:D:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like thunderstorm threat has been downgraded somewhat. Current forecast LI (-2) and CAPE (350 j/kg) well down on what was forecast yesterday.

Estofex revised foreact showing threat just clipping east coast. http://www.estofex.org/

What we need now is some nice sun/surface heating!

Some sferics showing up just off the Cork coast atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Snowbie wrote: »
    Torro have released a Tornado Watch for mainly the SE.

http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php

Someone should tell them that the name of our country in the English language is Ireland

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Wasn't there a tornado not so long ago down the south of the country ? Are conditions today similiar to then ?

Oh and anoyone know why the radar at Shannon airport doens't appear to be functioning:
    latest_radar.gif

• Advertisement

Major convection going on here.You can literally see the towers building as you look up at them bubbling like mad.
    CB's everywhere in a very thundery looking sky with that tell tale sharp edge to them and the dark grey bordering the brilliant white.

Today is starting off interesting.

I'm expecting a fire cracker of an afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Major convection going on here.You can literally see the towers building as you look up at them bubbling like mad.
    CB's everywhere in a very thundery looking sky with that tell tale sharp edge to them and the dark grey bordering the brilliant white.

There's a similar skyscape around Waterford now too.

There's a similar skyscape around Waterford now too.

Any chance of some pics for those of us who don't get to admire these ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would be expecting some very large falls of hail in some places, the upper atmosphere looks like November rather than August, so anything that reaches 25,000 ft will easily start to drop hail. I suspect the risk of a tornado is going to be greater over in southern England, although I would not totally rule it out in southeast Ireland later on. But hail, you might see more snow than in the whole of last winter, if it turns to slush.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....the upper atmosphere looks like November rather than August

The lower atmosphere isn't much better I can tell you - a very chilly 15.4c :D

Can see some convection starting http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Everything appears to be rotating around Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The lower atmosphere isn't much better I can tell you - a very chilly 15.4c :D

Can see some convection starting http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Everything appears to be rotating around Kilkenny.
    Interesting that.
    You can see the convection I posted about build up and then spread out in a small area.
    The best way I can describe the sky now is that it looks almost like what I saw at the Kennedy space centre last june (07)...

Except it's not 33c :(

That day there was tremendous thunder and lightning and intense rain all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Some clear rotation around the upper low system from higher and lower clouds moving in opposite directions from the sat.
    Looks to be an interesting afternoon in the SE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Some colourful echos starting to appear on radar just west of Dublin. Might yet get a thunderstorm. Very slow moving aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thunder and Lightening! :eek: First time I've seen a flash in two years.

edit -make that two flashes and its heading my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

More thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Almost a perfect circle forming in the cloud around Wexford. Mental!:D

Pictures please !!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Pictures please !!!!! :)
    Just looking at the Sat. Clearly visible
    http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Very heavy rain, occasionally torrential here. No thunder yet but the ground really doesn't need any more downpours.

rc28 wrote: »
    Very heavy rain, occasionally torrential here. No thunder yet but the ground really doesn't need any more downpours.

From the way things are moving it looks like if you get stuck under that you are going to get really wet!

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »

A line of thunderstorms may be developing in your area judging by Sat and radar - keep an eye out for us Dubs;)

All we have in leitrim is very light rain and a cloudy sky. We never get any extreme weather up here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 taraw87

cian1500ww wrote: »
    All we have in leitrim is very light rain and a cloudy sky. We never get any extreme weather up here :(

It's sunny in cork, beat that! *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All over. Apart from the dogs still barking.

Mike

Two flashes of lightning around noon and two claps of thunder reported about 5 miles up the road from here.They also had a 90 minute powercut as a result.
    Both of which I missed as I was working heavy machinery indoors at the time.

Dry outside here now but still with an exceptionally thundery looking sky.

It's still raining and has gotten even heavier in last 20 mins. Torrential now and pools of water are everywhere- more flooding is likely me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

rc28, where about in south east meath are you? are you near blanchardstown?

thomasj wrote: »
    rc28, where about in south east meath are you? are you near blanchardstown?

No, I'm a few km's from Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Any thunderstorm potential for meath dublin area today? just checked sat 24 there and clouds are really building up this part of the country due to the swirling of the low right over us

• Advertisement

Risk of thunderstorms tomorrow has increased for a line roughly from Dublin to Galway northward. I think conditions tomorrow look more favourable then today. Storms seem likely to be more in the form of showers that could merge later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement