Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yep i agree, total airmass storms. Bad internet connection, off and on tonight so can't post up charts.
    Have a look at 06z at 1030 and will post up from that if risk remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

06z upgrades the flood risk but not quite the thunderstorm risk. Its gonna be a nowcast situation today I think. 06z actually shows quite heavy rain for the East and Midlands.

Northern areas have decent Cape. Few Cumulus build up on the satellite.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Seems to be a few small storms kicking off over the northwest, Fermanagh, Donegal and hopefully even Leitrim. ;)

sat-1700-20080813-161-188.gif

Radar plot for 4.00pm:

aNorthwest.jpg

Not promising anything Cian, but I hope you get to see something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Seems to be a few small storms kicking off over the northwest, Fermanagh, Donegal and hopefully even Leitrim. ;)

sat-1700-20080813-161-188.gif
    You just made my day :)

• Advertisement

Some wicked downpours over NI and into N Leinster. The odd strike i'm getting from these.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Some wicked downpours over NI and into N Leinster. The odd strike i'm getting from these.

Interesting Snowbie. It would seem that they are coming in contact with that front moving up from the south. Looks like a clash could develop over dear ole Dublin.

Hold on to your hats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Hi . would it not be the case that the showers will just get swallowed up by the rainband and loose their umphhh

Nothing to report here yet guys, clouds have got lower but they're bright.

The mother of all downpours here in the Dublin 5 area for the last 15 mins and 1.5miles away at home there was sweet fa recorded as it is very localised. Floods around this area and alot of standing water.

• Advertisement

paulhac wrote: »
    Hi . would it not be the case that the showers will just get swallowed up by the rainband and loose their umphhh

Now let me see..
    Snowbie wrote:
    The mother of all downpours here in Dublin 5

so yeah, maybe your right.

Edit, looking back at that post, it sounds kinda nasty or something. Not meant to be, I mean you could be right, I just though a clash of airmasses would aid convection.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

No need for sarcasm. The rainband is still only approaching Dublin at this stage it hasnt arrived yet.
    gotcha!

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Nothing to report here yet guys, clouds have got lower but they're bright.

What part of Leitrim are you in Cian, becasue it looks like a particularly nasty shower over the west of the county at the moment? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I can see far out over dublin city, its starting to get dark, rain to the north west of dublin, have a 5 euro bet it would not rain, ive lost.

paulhac wrote: »
    gotcha!

Yep. you got me...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Rain bucketing down in east D13 for the last hour, gutters are now turning into streams. Much worse than Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible day here non stop torrential rain since early morning, temp 14 degrees, lots of reports of flooding with a bridge blocked by floodwater in connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Very menacing clouds approaching here from the west/nw.

What part of Leitrim are you in Cian, becasue it looks like a particularly nasty shower over the west of the county at the moment? :confused:
    South Leitrim, Ballinamore to be exact. Starting to rain and darken a bit now

Latest hi-res radar;
    hiradarzoomv4.pl.png
    Dublin downpours don't show up on it but the showers to the NW do.
    Edit: 99% sure I just heard thunder.

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    South Leitrim, Ballinamore to be exact. Starting to rain and darken a bit now

Hard one to call, the heaviest stuff is keeping to your west. Another shower building to your east which might extend over you.

My advice? Keep watching the skies. :)

Hard one to call, the heaviest stuff is keeping to your west. Another shower building to your east which might extend over you.

My advice? Keep watching the skies. :)
    Will do mate and thanks.

What should be a 5min drive took 25mins. Some downpour to drive in.
    7mm so far from it with a 36.1mm/hr but seemed alot heavier.
    No lightning but there is from the one near rc28.

The shower to the NW of me is looking very impressive on radar and by the sheer darkness of the clouds I see out the window.
    hiradarzoomv4.pl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Anymore highres radar pics rc28? I'm in Santry and it's not raining. In fact, its drying up nicely. Yet the radar shows that it should be lashing rain here the past few hours. It rained a while ago but nothing now. Floods at parents house down the road in Baldoyle. Looks like the rain is to my north. Can't see Naul so defo raining there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The rain has been alternating between heavy and light here in south louth as the evening has worn on. Very heavy at about 5pm in Drogheda. Heavy also in Dunleer at about 7pm. It's currently easing but I see heavier rain approaching from the west again. Slight flooding in dips of roads and suchlike is commonplace.

Those high res radar pics are of a downpour possibly in the Navan/Slane/Kentstown region.

I'd be very interested to see another radar pic as that would tell me what rain is in store for where I live.

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah its all just to the north. Darn it. Well I'm off to bed. Early start for me tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

had some lightning here around 7ish and it bucketed down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Hi everyone. New to posting on this forum. Really heavy rain here in Sligo all evening. Got dark really early this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement