Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Snowbie wrote: »
    There you go
    Thank you very much! Unfortunately the rain here did indeed intensify not long after I last posted, and it's been raining heavily again for 2 hours consistently.

This particular cyclone is sluggishly moving past the west of me and it's keeping the rain virtually stationary over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rhonin wrote: »
    Hi everyone. New to posting on this forum. Really heavy rain here in Sligo all evening. Got dark really early this evening.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Yes. I heard earlier there was extremely heavy rain up around North Mayo and Sligo all evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I see that Rhoin shares the same curse as me, the dark curse of sharing a border with Mayo, or "The Demon County" as we call it this side. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There is a slight risk of Ts tomorrow from a line north of Mayo to Antrim.

Some couple hundred Cape with negative LI.
    Whats significant is that a convergence in these areas but more profound over NI.

While Mayo has some convective inhibition (Cap) some forcing due to lift from the MTNs could breach this aided by the convergence and heavy showers could form leading to some intense rainfall.
    Risk is greatest over NI with no Cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I see that Rhoin shares the same curse as me, the dark curse of sharing a border with Mayo, or "The Demon County" as we call it this side. ;)

Well I'm actually a Mayo man living in Sligo :) Finally stopped raining during the night.

• Advertisement

rhonin wrote: »
    Well I'm actually a Mayo man living in Sligo :) Finally stopped raining during the night.

Sorry, I was only slagging. I love Mayo, it's in my blood too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Sorry, I was only slagging. I love Mayo, it's in my blood too. ;)

No worries. I knew you were slagging. I've heard a lot worse :)

Risk continues with the above attach but also included is the southern SE counties later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Risk continues with the above attach but also included is the southern SE counties later.

Tomorrow shows a late afternoon risk for the Midlands and East. The winds will be southerly in the East though so there may be a rain shadow from the Wiclow mountains but alot more potential then today. A showery trough will come into the west early tomorrow morning and cross the country. Check out the latest GFS run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sferics showing up off the west coast and the Celtic Sea atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A couple of sferics showing up off the west coast and the Celtic Sea atm.

The track of those sferics seems to be towards the south west corner of the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Looks like I'm wrong - those sferics are heading towards Waterford, and a second set of sferics have just kicked off just off Cork coast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Is my StormVue plotting the south coast storm incorrectly Snowbie?

The storm is well out to sea Dan according to sat pic, it's way west of Biscay. There is no storm over the Celtic sea i'm assuming unless any eye witness along the south coast. It's the night ranging and sky wave of sferic our detectors are picking up. There is nothing we can do about it at that range, yet.

Now to add to the confusion, a CB has developed about 50 miles south of Cork in the last 15mins.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Edit: Dan are you picking up any noise? If it is a storm close to the south coast, you should be getting noise from it as your closer.

Some sort of squall passing through here now, raining pretty violently outside. :)

(Well, hardly inside I suppose..:rolleyes:)

Edit: Looking at the latest sat for Eastern Europe, it really puts our mediocre, doleful and thoroughly tedious non-eventful climate into persective:

images.php?country=pl&sat=&1218843265421

What I wouldn't give to be under them whites right now...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some sort of squall passing through here now, raining pretty violently outside. :)

(Well, hardly inside I suppose..:rolleyes:)

so, has the wind picked up there too? It will be interesting to see what the rainfall figures are for Belmullet, Knock and Claremorris out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

What I wouldn't give to be under them whites right now...:o
    Lol, no I don't think you would. There was a serious tornado outbreak in Poland this evening with deaths reported.
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/t/20097.aspx

http://estofex.org/
    http://forum.lowcyburz.pl/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=1366&p=17242%20p17242

so, has the wind picked up there too? It will be interesting to see what the rainfall figures are for Belmullet, Knock and Claremorris out of this.

It will be interesting to see. Most if not all of the rain today came directly up from the Bay and it would seem the heaviest is running up in a narrow line along the N17. I think we are doing better than Claremorris, who hogged all the big stuff the last time!!! Rain has eased somewhat (10mm since midnight, but wind picking up from an easterly quarter).

rc28 wrote: »
    Lol, no I don't think you would. There was a serious tornado outbreak in Poland this evening with deaths reported.
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/t/20097.aspx

http://estofex.org/
    http://forum.lowcyburz.pl/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=1366&p=17242%20p17242
    Yep already mentioned that in the foreign reports thread. Looks nasty over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

The storm is well out to sea Dan according to sat pic, it's way west of Biscay. There is no storm over the Celtic sea i'm assuming unless any eye witness along the south coast. It's the night ranging and sky wave of sferic our detectors are picking up. There is nothing we can do about it at that range, yet.

Now to add to the confusion, a CB has developed about 50 miles south of Cork in the last 15mins.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Edit: Dan are you picking up any noise? If it is a storm close to the south coast, you should be getting noise from it as your closer.

Cant see any lightning or hear any thunder thunder...(Midleton) But my StrikeAlert has been going mental for the last hour or so. Looking at the sat too. Hope its the little one moving in from my west.:)

Sorry meant to say SW not W

• Advertisement

Most of the activity is way off shore to your south.

I agree.
    I can confirm hearing one distant clap of thunder in the last five minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Very active storm south of Cork city right now. lightning every couple of minutes. seems to be down over carrigaline or even further south at the moment from what i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

well we were predicted a rain storm in the north of ireland. maybe it's the calm before the storm:rolleyes::confused:

Okay we defo have some action in Cork. 3 visable lightning and heard 6 claps of thunder. I would have settled for one cause I'M sorry make that 4 and that was close:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Shulgin wrote: »
    Very active storm south of Cork city right now. lightning every couple of minutes. seems to be down over carrigaline or even further south at the moment from what i can tell.

I'd say around Carrigaline/riverstick too it doesn't seem to far from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

It was a savage storm .
    Lighting was directly over my house and the thunder was like a bloody bomb.
    CIDK it was moving down to midleton i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That is one big guitar (0530 radar) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite a bit of Gods removal men action right now.

Mike.

• Advertisement

conceited wrote: »
    It was a savage storm .
    CIDK it was moving down to midleton i think.
    Yeah I'd say it wasnt to far. Knocked out power to the street lights in my estate and my broadband. Had a video camera pointed out the window for the duration of the storm (probably in the wrong direction). Will post up some CG stills if I have any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement