Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

yes it was indeed severe around 2am last night in Cork
    Very loud thunder and foggy also which is quite unusual.
    Sounded dangerous tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

WOW!!!! MAssive clap of thunder and bolt of lightening accross marley park area.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Kippure wrote: »
    WOW!!!! MAssive clap of thunder and bolt of lightening accross marley park area.

I'm assuming everywhere got it , but out here in Palmerstown it sounded like a bomb going off overhead and has set off about a dozen alarms around me. I'm not kidding, I thought it was something a bit more sinister for a few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

noelfirl wrote: »
    I'm assuming everywhere got it , but out here in Palmerstown it sounded like a bomb going off overhead and has set off about a dozen alarms around me. I'm not kidding, I thought it was something a bit more sinister for a few moments.

The entire building I work in shook. Sounded like an explosion and I work in a gas manufacturing plant in Bluebell. Needless to say I shat my pants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I woke just there to a monsterous sonic boom of thunder with a drawn out crackle, I taught the roof was caving in. No evidence of it on radar must be a weak cell.

• Advertisement

Right over the dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Funny enough, i thought i heard a rumble here myself but as the wind is howling outside i presumed it was just that. No strike detected though but not all close one's are as they give off a lot of noise.

Only evidence is to SW/West Dublin. Some downpours over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'm up in Northern Antrim the last while but i have thunder and lightning reported in Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Long rumble here as well about a half hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Lol I was just woken up by a massive crash of thunder, lightning must have been very close. Rain is moderate to heavy.

Just a rumble here, lashing rain now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Anit seen or heard nothin:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I saw/heard it too! Around 11.40.

Interesting one. That line of showers crossing the country from the west seems to be developing trough. The odd CB is building through it also.
    It could
    1. merge over the east with the front overhead atm to bring us more persistent rain or
    2. could develop into something more potent.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

On the lastest radar image, everything seems to be stalling on the east coast ready to swing down south east followed by heavy showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Snowbie wrote: »
    Interesting one. That line of showers crossing the country from the west seems to be developing trough. The odd CB is building through it also.
    It could
    1. merge over the east with the front overhead atm to bring us more persistent rain or
    2. could develop into something more potent.

Estofex's warning for the island mentioned something about polar air convection...the false colour animation on eumetsat shows 2 pretty cold troughs pushing in from the west...one to our south and the other curving over the middle of the country ATM.
    Just been out driving in that rain...wipers couldn't keep up, heaps of standing water...was blowing a very stong breeze/gale? earlier this morning but seems to ahave eased since as the rain has gotten heavier...

Lightning to the south near Wicklow

Wertz wrote: »
    Estofex's warning for the island mentioned something about polar air convection...the false colour animation on eumetsat shows 2 pretty cold troughs pushing in from the west...one to our south and the other curving over the middle of the country ATM.
    Just been out driving in that rain...wipers couldn't keep up, heaps of standing water...was blowing a very stong breeze/gale? earlier this morning but seems to ahave eased since as the rain has gotten heavier...
    Which means Wertz that returning polar maritime air flowing over (aloft) the warmer air beneath which intensifies rainfall and lets CB build.

Edit more lightning to my SW

Another long rumble of thunder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Another rumble here in the last minute or so...make that 2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

noelfirl wrote: »

Yup was in bed when that happned ,,jumped outa the bed,,and quickly got back under the covers.

A few embedded CB's are building up at the rear of the front, so a few more cracks of thunder could be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ulysses1

Last nights thunderstorm over Carrigaline (1.40-2.00am) was the angriest I've ever experienced. Looking out over my open window I watched a strike land what must have been only 20 metres from me. There were 5 or 6 other strikes extremely close so I guess it was right over my head. Most of my light bulbs got destroyed and some neighbours electrical equipment blew out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunder and lightning here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Lightning here, about 5 seconds east

Snowbie wrote: »
    A few embedded CB's are building up at the rear of the front, so a few more cracks of thunder could be heard.

lol and just as i posted that. Didn't see lightning though.

Detector seems to have it off the coast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Ive had the radio on here listening out for sferics all moring, and then listening out for thunder after each one. For the first time today Ive managed to hear the thunder, but only just about, a low rumbling somewhere to the east. The sferics on the radio are unusually prolonged. Noisey crackles lasting a couple of seconds.

• Advertisement

. The sferics on the radio are unusually prolonged. Noisey crackles lasting a couple of seconds.
    Indicating there close and are intra cloud (IC)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement