Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Its kicked off here again - more thunder and lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Two claps of thunder here in the space of a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just saw a flash now with a long gap before a long rumble.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lightning and instant thunder right over head! Car and house alarms going off. Heavens have opened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I could hear that here in balbriggan, it must have been very far away- quite a delay between lightning and thunder. It seemed to be from west of here? Thunder was a very long continous rumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Rumble of thunder just heard. Dry for last 30 minutes here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

my god that was the loudest clap of thunder i've ever heard in dublin (dun laoghaire)! driving on the roads is crazy rainwise. just went out to give someone a lift.

Rain has just stopped here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Blackrock - delay of about 4 seconds. Loudest thunder clap I've ever heard. The car alarms are still going off. Sounded like an explosion

Some more very distant rumbles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

Could hear that over in Tallaght even though the Rain has stopped and the sun is trying to break through. Pretty big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Just saw a flash now with a long gap before a long rumble.
    Ditto and a bright flash too. About 5 seconds before i heard thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

my god that was the loudest clap of thunder i've ever heard in dublin (dun laoghaire)! driving on the roads is crazy rainwise. just went out to give someone a lift.

Agreed (Dublin 6), Thought it would break the glass in the balcony door. Shook it like crazy and the chairs moved on the balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Nothing showing on StormVue. Is it because there were only 1 or two strikes?

Snowbie wrote: »
    Ditto and a bright flash too. About 5 seconds before i heard thunder

Think it was about 5 secinds here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I heard that distant thunder and see very dark clouds to the N/NE of here, some faint rumbles to be heard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Jesus, one massive flash of lightening and about 5 seconds later 4-5 deep+very loud bangs of thunder. Close enough I'd say.D.14

edit:beaten to it. Man that was weird thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Distant rumble of thunder and it looks like there is some mammatus cloud overhead now. I can see patches of blue sky approaching though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I can see the clearence at last. More rain coming into the West and maybe a few showers developing through the evening.

shamwari wrote: »
    Nothing showing on StormVue. Is it because there were only 1 or two strikes?
    When lightning is close to the detector, lightning gives off alot of noise due to massive amounts of static. This is normal.
    Check out the thread in the weather pics i created last week and you will see the noise count exceeded the strike count on the top right of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

If you're in Dublin city, check out the low cloud below the top of the Dublin mountains. Quite cool

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

That one was just off the coast of north county Dublin, flash visible in balbriggan, rumble within seconds.

Still getting lightning off shore from embeded CB's.

Next one to watch is the wrap around of the occlusion crossing in over the west atm moves across Ireland towards east later.

This could intensify ahead of surface warming.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

News just in (from my wife)!!!

That big bolt of lightning (around 16.15) hit a house in an estate off the Upper Kilmacud Road in Dundrum (where my wife's family live). The lightning bolt split the chimney and caused a fire in the living room, it also broke a number of car and house windows around (either from the lightning/thunder or flying debris from the chimney?).

There was somebody upstairs but they were uninjured.

Fire brigade still there.

I actually know the family who lives in the house - will find out more (at a more sensitive time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Snowbie wrote: »
    Still getting lightning off shore from embeded CB's.

Next one to watch is the wrap around of the occlusion crossing in over the west atm moves across Ireland towards east later.

This could intensify ahead of surface warming.

I noticed this myself and mentioned it on the flooding list. Could hit us bang on and it's already looking heavy as is. Not good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is the weather not finished for the day then? Or is it just letting us have our dinner first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like Galway getting hammered now
    Anyone over that way??

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

in galway here, it was very bad a while ago, not too bad now though.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    News just in (from my wife)!!!

That big bolt of lightning (around 16.15) hit a house in an estate off the Upper Kilmacud Road in Dundrum (where my wife's family live). The lightning bolt split the chimney and caused a fire in the living room, it also broke a number of car and house windows around (either from the lightning/thunder or flying debris from the chimney?).

There was somebody upstairs but they were uninjured.

Fire brigade still there.

I actually know the family who lives in the house - will find out more (at a more sensitive time!).
    Thankfully no one was hurt there. We all know the bolt your talking about as right across Dublin heard the thunder from that one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thats one bad ass angry mess stalled over Limerick/Clare/Galway, anyone have a station there?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement