Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbie wrote: »
    Just like in April when the upper air temps are a bit cooler than during the summer months, the CB's build quite quick with cold air aloft(due to polar maritime air over us also) and as with the DP being lower the air is quite clear so we can see the individual CB's with good visiblity (unless your under a downpour then it's different).

Yea - three seperate large CB's/individual anvils out to my west and one to my east (shower that just passed over) was in my mothers house and there was a flash, which I assume was lightning, but didn't hear any thunder.

Must be big 'uns out to my west - from sat, these look like they are running down through the midlands - look a lot closer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Looking at StormVue, the TS seems to have died once it went off shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

No TS here only some heavy rain which lasted a half hour. Sun is shining here now, maybe this will aid something to develop later. There seems to be a risk (gfs) for the southern half on friday but its early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Interesting looking at Sat pic, you can make out the clear air between the shower/Ts and Hal is right in saying any surface heating from insolation will aid in convection.

Showers are wrapped around the LP and have a SE to east motion so heavy showers and storms will push east.
    Next storm now just to the NW of the Dublin area.
    Low level shear is pretty good with the odd funnel (no convergence though) but longevity of storms is poor due to deep level shear low or nil.

This is represented by anvils that are flattened and CB not tilted on it's axis away from the base. Basically a textbook CB cloud.
    Upper level winds are not too strong either and why the anvil is still attached to the cloud structure and not being blown out to the side or away from the main part of the CB cloud too much.

Very rare we get to see individual cells, so if you capture any on camera, please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

A few claps of thunder just now in Drogheda. Massive clouds and a very short lived shower (about 10 seconds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That 10 second shower was a 30 or so minute downpour here. The most menacing clouds seemed to be to the north but I was in the attic when the lightning struck and it seemed to be from the south or nearly overhead of me. I don't think Snowbie's detector showed the three strikes I heard though...

Still raining here nearly without break for the last 40 minutes.

Just one boom and flash.

Rain rate from that shower of 182.9mm/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ANyone notice that thunder heard from more then a mile away is a rumble, but close up it's more of a nasty crackling sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Thunder west wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a small thunderstorm about half an hour ago, about 10 claps of thunder and very heavy rain, I was out in the middle of it walking home when it started:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Well it's quite dark in the centre of Dublin here right now. Just rain so far. I've a 10 minute walk to the train when I get out of the office here at 5 so I'm hoping it'll be dry as I forgot my umbrella :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems to be passing to both my north and sout here - very menacing clouds passing to my south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So is there any chance of more lightning over north Dublin today?

Confab wrote: »
    So is there any chance of more lightning over north Dublin today?
    Always a chance when there is CB's present.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

Level1 alert from estofex for tomorrow in parts of the north and whest:

Another disturbance with unstable air arrives during the night over western Ireland. GFS 12Z indicates a zone of >250 m2/s2 SREH and 0-1 km shear of >12 m/s will be present and supportive of a tornado.

Lightning to my south. No thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowbie wrote: »
    Lightning to my south. No thunder

Just heard some loud thunder to my west - didn't notice any lightening though. Sky is very dark in that direction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Dublin doing very well this year on the TS front

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Two cracks of thunder here just now, didn't see any lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Just heard a loud crash of it two minutes ago in Inchicore. Indoors with windows shut and still sounded loud and close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

Heard the same in Tallaght with a big flash. The sun is breaking through now though.

Dublin doing very well this year on the TS front
    Only 1 passed overhead here so far this year , the infamous August deluge.

W and S.Dublin and Co.Meath have done far better than N Dublin.
    But thunder heard (<2 boom and flash) has been up on last year but that is hardly classed as a storm.

So only 1 thunder day here when a thunderstorm is witnessed once or more or on seperate occasions within 00hrs-24z.

Basically bad for storms and good for odd rumbles.

Just had 2 rumbles here in Dublin City Center in the past 20 minutes. The sun is out again now. The second rumble was quite loud.

Thunder heard here too about 14:50. That cell gave some larger than average hail half of a 1cent coin I would say. Sun came out briefly then.

Lashing and another crack of thunder or two here just now. It's either very heavy rain or there's a little bit of hail mixed in. I'm not near a window so can't tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Loudest thunder I have ever heard.

Jackz wrote: »
    Loudest thunder I have ever heard.

Would be good to know where you are Jackz?

Heavy rain and sporadic hail shower here atm. Heard some very distant thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Had a couple of rumbles here in Portlaoise just before 5 o' clock. Sure enough, Danno's detector seems to have picked them up at that time as well. :D

What was even better was the view after the shower passed through, though. I saw 3 of the best looking, most clearly defined anvils I've seen in a long time. By the time I got my camera out to take a pic they had started to disperse and move on, though I think I might have caught a bit of one before it disappeared. The way the cloudbases are bubbling up so quickly here today is very impressive. Just the sheer speed they're developing but then dispersing again is so fast, within 10 minutes in a couple of cases I was watching. I'll try and post up some pics later in the weather pictures section if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Kicking off again here! Just had two more rumbles and the second one was very loud and crackling. Horrible looking sky approaching. Think I'll plug out for a while just to be safe! :eek: Catch you later, folks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just had a quick downpour with some thunder at the end.

Mike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement