Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see a couple of strikes are showing up around the Rosslare area.

http://www.strikestareu.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Blitzortung must be on the blink:confused:, as it's picking up some sferics in Wexford / Carlow and Irish sea and nowhere else is detecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ionospheric bounce its called Hal. This happens when a certain layer of the Ionosphere is lost at night bringing the strike closer in laymans terms. As myself and Dan are the west most detectors in Europe we have the strikes coming from the Atlantic. This is a known bug and should be fixed in later releases of software either by compensating (not sure it be accurate though) or eliminating strikes after a certain range after nightfall.

Those detectors are probably east UK or the low countries detecting those strikes much closer than they should be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Estofex have thunderstorms forecast for us tomorrow:

http://www.estofex.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Look at how it surrounds the UK! Wierd that!

• Advertisement

Thunder reported at Shannon @ 9PM. Latest GFS chart shows a risk of TS activity tomorrow, we will see what the 18z brings us upgrade or a playdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Thunder reported at Shannon @ 9PM. Latest GFS chart shows a risk of TS activity tomorrow, we will see what the 18z brings us upgrade or a playdown.

nothin here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Had a hailstorm at about 4pm yesterday, forgot to mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looking at the Estofex report, there ain't a hope of thunderstorms today. Hopefully Sat/Sun will give us some interesting weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Thunder now in Stamullen, Meath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Here now in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Quite a prolonged nasty downpour that, with hail mixed in. Thunder sounded quite high up. Unusual for for a northwesterly in October, in this part of the country anyway. The very cold upper air certainly helped. It will probably brush the coast around the city over the next half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

AA says reports a lighnting strike between Rush and Donabate:cool:
    There are 30 minute delays to all Irish Rail northern line commuter services as a result of a signalling fault caused by a lightning strike between Rush and Donabate.In addition the 1807 Balbriggan to Connolly service is cancelled. Passengers will be accommodated on alternative services

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Conditions look excellent for hail through the next 24 hours and the highest peaks could have a touch of snow on them Friday morning. The temperature falls to about 2 C at 1,000 metres overnight. There are some very low temps even near sea level in the British Isles right now, have seen some 6s and 7s which is about as cool as it gets on this date, in the current climate that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Damomanye wrote: »
    AA says reports a lighnting strike between Rush and Donabate:cool:

My wife was in the car driving across the railway bridge in Lusk this afternoon when there was, as she described it, and almighty flash and simultaneous explosion. The strike was very close but she could not tell what exactly was hit.

The trains were a mess alight and apparently all of the signals between Malahide and Skerries were stuck on red until around 5.30 this evening.

My own forecast is producing storms for Tuesday since this morning for here.

http://www.irlweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

To far out atm to be certain but GFS consistent about this for the mo.

Program on tonight on Virgin1 at 2200 (10pm) about storm chasing and deadly lightning.
    Watched the first part last week by chance missed first 10 mins and was pretty good. Tonight has Paul Sherman from NW on it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Cant wait to see that. I'm currently in Townsville Australia, but logged into my slingbox back home to record it. Downloading now but another 2.5 hours before its down (slow hotel connection). Was it any good? Should have been, Paul is a funny bloke.

Twas ok, I caught the 2nd half of it. He was in florida chasing some storms, but there was only about in total 5 mins of lightining footage that they showed, he was in the wrong location to intercept the storms he wanted to catch. Last weeks episode was better as he was in texas chasing proper stuff, tornadoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Just finished watching it. Was good. Also realised that I'm actually in it :P which I wasn't expecting cause I wasn't chasing with Paul in Arizona. I'm the thick Irish accent about 3 or 4 minutes in saying "Look at the F-ing size of that".

It was taken from some footage in May when we had to core punch a Supercell in Kansas and had to take cover behind a house as our car was taking on nickle and golfball sized hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LOL!!! Big bog accent right in the middle of that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement