Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ibood - lenovo 3000 N200 - €529 - any good?

• 11-08-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a decent laptop, this looks alright at the price, any one out there with a similar model laptop any positive reports???

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

james1234 wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a decent laptop, this looks alright at the price, any one out there with a similar model laptop any positive reports???

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

You could get a Dell Vostro 1510 for either of the below prices which include VAT and shipping.

Dell Vostro 1510 - €416.24 (Integrated graphics)
    Dell Vostro 1510 - €500.94 (Nvidia GeForce 8400M)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Rsaeire wrote: »
    You could get a Dell Vostro 1510 for either of the below prices which include VAT and shipping.

Dell Vostro 1510 - €416.24 (Integrated graphics)
    Dell Vostro 1510 - €500.94 (Nvidia GeForce 8400M)

Mmmm, see what you mean, but they're not exactly the same spec...

The Lenovo is 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, the Dells are 1.8Ghz and 1GB RAM, just upping those Dell specs to match, pushes it up to over €600 (also add a webcam, included in the Lenovo spec, as is a fingerprint reader, not that I want one).

So is the Lenovo (formerly IBM ThinkPad) a decent laptop? Or is Dell better?

Mmmm, see what you mean, but they're not exactly the same spec...

The Lenovo is 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, the Dells are 1.8Ghz and 1GB RAM, just upping those Dell specs to match, pushes it up to over €600 (also add a webcam, included in the Lenovo spec, as is a fingerprint reader, not that I want one).

So is the Lenovo (formerly IBM ThinkPad) a decent laptop? Or is Dell better?

They're not exactly the same no, but as you said you were looking for a "similar model laptop" I thought I'd mention the Dell.

I would personally choose the Dell over the Lenovo, as I have had no experience with Lenovo laptops, but I have heard good things about them.

I wanted to add that the Lenovo is an excellent deal and that the choice really remains with you. Technically the Lenovo is better specced than the Dell so the comparison just emphasises the Lenovo's excellent feature set. I imagine some users who have used Lenovo laptops will chime in with some positive words regarding their use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye I pick these for laptops that have to go out to the building sites I look after and find them a lot nicer then the vostros

• Advertisement

Fairly familiar too with Dells as well, but to get similar specs on a Dell would be much pricier.

Only dealings with an IBM laptop was a very old model (can't remember the model tho - but by mean old I mean pre 2000!), it stills runs XP ok, but has been abused quite a bit, built like a brick, just wondering if that's still the case with the Lenovos...

So i'm interested in any feedback pos or neg on the Lenovo, before these guys sell out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Lenovo build quality is much better then Dell, it's a win win situation considering with the same rough spec's the Dell is more expensive. Though the 8400 is miles better then the 7300, but both are pretty crap for gaming so as a general all round machine, I'd take the Lenovo.

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

not much of a gamer, but would be using it more for photo editing, photoshop etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

not much of a gamer, but would be using it more for photo editing, photoshop etc...
    Lenovo's are fantastic, great build quality and battery life. I owned an N100 there earlier this year, I had to sell it due to financial difficulties, and I was sad to see it go. But I highly recommend them.

Well, finally decided to get it, seems good value for those specs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Now all you have to do is wait 2 months for them to deliver it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭patspost

What about the Medion Aldi have comming on Thurs, spec slightly different, but for a higher price you are also getting a 3 year warrenty and take it home with you on the day rather than waiting!

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6661.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

this seems to top both the laptops mentioned, and comes in at 2 euro less than 500!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5920-Hard-drive-GraphicsX3100/dp/B0010X2L4O/ref=pe_15021_12512851_as_txt_2/

Now all you have to do is wait 2 months for them to deliver it.

Have they such a bad rep for delivery?
    Says 1-5 days on the website...
    patspost wrote: »
    What about the Medion Aldi have comming on Thurs, spec slightly different, but for a higher price you are also getting a 3 year warrenty and take it home with you on the day rather than waiting!

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6661.htm
    Yea, saw that, but not sure if Aldi are known as one of the better computer hardware manufacturers out there...
    kingaaa wrote: »
    this seems to top both the laptops mentioned, and comes in at 2 euro less than 500!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5920-Hard-drive-GraphicsX3100/dp/B0010X2L4O/ref=pe_15021_12512851_as_txt_2/

Not bad for that price...

How does it top both laptops mentioned when it has a T5550 CPU and integrated graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭PCDub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

PCDub wrote: »

Need an extra gig of RAM.

The only weak point on the original offer was the screen.
    The res was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭PCDub

They send you the extra gig of ram in the post after you've bought the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Have they such a bad rep for delivery?
    Says 1-5 days on the website...

2 Months would be an extreme example. But it's certainly well within the realms of possibility... especially for more expensive items like this one.

PCDub wrote: »

Yea, that's a good offer alright

• Advertisement

How does it top both laptops mentioned when it has a T5550 CPU and integrated graphics?

Dont pretend to be an expert, but they all have core 2 duo processors, what would be the difference? I have owned pc's and laptops with upgraded graphics and to be honest, for what I'd be using it for I never noticed the difference. For the normal Joe Soap I would have to say the Acer would be more appealing to me, and the extra 90 gb would definitley be a bonus. Sure what you save with the Acer you could put towards a fancy graphics card if you like:D

2 Months would be an extreme example. But it's certainly well within the realms of possibility... especially for more expensive items like this one.

I've used them on about 7 occasions, and I find the general rule of thumb is if you buy midweek, expect it the following monday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

As a rule of thumb you should always google the model numbers on iBoods as you tend to find the same items at the same or even better prices elsewhere. You can also find them at far worse prices too :)

Dont pretend to be an expert, but they all have core 2 duo processors, what would be the difference? I have owned pc's and laptops with upgraded graphics and to be honest, for what I'd be using it for I never noticed the difference. For the normal Joe Soap I would have to say the Acer would be more appealing to me, and the extra 90 gb would definitley be a bonus. Sure what you save with the Acer you could put towards a fancy graphics card if you like:D

In order to "top" something, the item/s in question, in this case laptop/s, would need to be better or faster in order to actually "top" the comparative item. My comment clearly pointed out two main areas in which the laptop mentioned did not "top" the other laptop/s in discussion.

I recommend you read the comments and specifications of the aforementioned items clearly before making assumptions on someone else's knowledge.

In order to "top" something, the item/s in question, in this case laptop/s, would need to be better or faster in order to actually "top" the comparative item. My comment clearly pointed out two main areas in which the laptop mentioned did not "top" the other laptop/s in discussion.

I recommend you read the comments and specifications of the aforementioned items clearly before making assumptions on someone else's knowledge.

Dont get your knickers in a twist, I meant "top" the 2 mentioned in affordability and value and features for the average laptop user, not that it was 1.38796 nano seconds faster in processor speed. Chill out.

Advertisement