Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many topics/boards?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

I think the OP makes a good point. Some of the organisation is a bit diffuse. The Television forum has a sub-forum for Television, which always puzzles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

gogglebok wrote: »
    I think the OP makes a good point. Some of the organisation is a bit diffuse. The Television forum has a sub-forum for Television, which always puzzles me.

It's a television category containing numerous television related forums including a general television forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

When I first came here I was overwhelmed with the amount of topics available. Don't get me wrong but it there are a lot of categorys that could fit under one name. It just makes it so hard to keep track of eveything, there's boards within boards, does anyone else understand what I mean?

For example, we've got:

Biology & Medicine
    Dental Issues
    Eyeglasses & Contact Lens & Eyecare
    Long Term Illness
    Physics & Chemistry

All under one board, couldn't they be under health care or health? There's tonnes of others like this, where subjects seem way out of place, and it just clutters up the boards.

I hate to be ignornant, I can only think of one reason why this would be, and that's because there is simply too many people registered here, so they had to break it down even more. Anyway, thanks for reading.
    HarryD wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP.
    Travel/holidays has now been split into 4 forums:

Australia & New Zealand
    Independant & Youth Travel
    Travel & Holidays
    Travel reports

Where do we stop ->
    Ireland
    England
    France
    Spain.
    ..etc..etc

Personally I'd prefer to have it all under one forum.. I don't think cluttering is a problem in this instance..

HD
    keen wrote: »
    It's useless.
    gogglebok wrote: »

And you're all very welcome to Boards.ie!

It's all too often that people arrive, and with little to no real experience of the site try and change it for the "better". With all due respect, do you really think your ideas are visionary? The site has developed over 10 years and acquired more than 100,000 users. So why not try using it the way it is, and discover the reasons it became so popular and got to where/how it is now, rather than trying to tinker with something that has evolved through the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

And you're all very welcome to Boards.ie!

It's all too often that people arrive, and with little to no real experience of the site try and change it for the "better". With all due respect, do you really think your ideas are visionary? The site has developed over 10 years and acquired more than 100,000 users. So why not try using it the way it is, and discover the reasons it became so popular and got to where/how it is now, rather than trying to tinker with something that has evolved through the years?

What has any of that got to do with me saying that the search function doesn't work?

People were complaing that users don't use the search function, I was saying if the OP had of it would of made no difference.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Search works for me. What problem are you having with it?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    +1

Perhaps it is your inability to use the search function, through your lack of experience?

oscarBravo wrote: »

I posted links to searches I done yesterday not realising that they run out in a few seconds, I searched for "too many forums" "too many boards" etc and got nothing of relevance, I find this happens with a lot of searches I've done.

+1

Perhaps it is your inability to use the search function, through your lack of experience?

Perhaps, I didn't think you'd need experience to use it though seems like a pretty easy concept, type keywords search.

I posted links to searches I done yesterday not realising that they run out in a few seconds, I searched for "too many forums" "too many boards" etc and got nothing of relevance, I find this happens with a lot of searches I've done.
    Well I just did a sitewide search for "number of forums" with no other criteria, and found the 11th result to be the most recent thread on this "issue" before now. Less than two weeks ago.

Perhaps, I didn't think you'd need experience to use it though seems like a pretty easy concept, type keywords search.
    Yes but generally with any search engine that isn't as advanced as Google et al you need to use the correct/most appropriate keywords. And your use of the word "too" is not the best idea in any case.

• Advertisement

Yes but generally with any search engine that isn't as advanced as Google et al you need to use the correct/most appropriate keywords. And your use of the word "too" is not the best idea in any case.

I also tried it without the word "too"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Search is good if you're after a specific topic/subject.
    The issue I have is browsing.
    I like to browse a shop or through a newspaper to see if there's anything of interest.
    The scope for this is limited on boards.ie in some cases.

Lads, for the most part, each of the fora exists because someone suggested it, and there were many other users that supported the idea. So say 5 years ago, someone suggested a Biology & Medicine forum. A whole bunch of users got behind the idea and said yay, let's us eat cake etc.

Then a year later, someone suggested a long term illness forum, and the same thing happened, and so on. Who's right is it then to come along even years later and say "Hang on lads, we're lashing all these niche fora together!".

And another argument, towards HarryD:

You say it has limited scope for browsing, because you just want to browse through everything (presumably?). So everything in one place is easier for you to browse. But what happens when someone comes along and wants to read about long term illnesses? Well they might have to trawl through an awful lot of other stuff in the parent forum, because apparently the search function doesn't work. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, this site is only getting bigger, so it's not going to start moving backwards is it? Might as well get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

For more advanced searches, you can also use google. Just use the site modifier.

For instance, to search for coconuts on boards.ie, use this as your search query.

site:boards.ie coconuts
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aboards.ie+coconuts&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Not exactly, what about dental issues, biology and medicine under health. That was just a preview at the top of my head.

I actually do not like the Biology being landed with Medicine

Sure, they share common areas in places but biology also deals with a hell of a lot more than medicine.

Biology in industry is a completely seperate field (GM foods, Brewing, Biodiversity, Biotech etc)
    I do not browse the B&M forum as I feel that it is cluttered in favour of the Medi side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

6th wrote: »
    Its not Magic ... seriously.

An illusion then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Lads, for the most part, each of the fora exists because someone suggested it, and there were many other users that supported the idea. So say 5 years ago, someone suggested a Biology & Medicine forum. A whole bunch of users got behind the idea and said yay, let's us eat cake etc.

Then a year later, someone suggested a long term illness forum, and the same thing happened, and so on. Who's right is it then to come along even years later and say "Hang on lads, we're lashing all these niche fora together!".

And another argument, towards HarryD:

You say it has limited scope for browsing, because you just want to browse through everything (presumably?). So everything in one place is easier for you to browse. But what happens when someone comes along and wants to read about long term illnesses? Well they might have to trawl through an awful lot of other stuff in the parent forum, because apparently the search function doesn't work. :rolleyes:

I agree the fora in some cases need categorised further, and in most cases this has been done well (eg: Biolology vs long term illness)
    But in some cases I think more consideration should have been be given.
    I don't agree with splitting the low traffic forum, "Travel & Holidays" into 4 different forums.
    To me it seems the mods in some cases are split happy.

HD

Advertisement